BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help
I have removed my fuel tank and replaced the fuel filter. Now the gauge is hanging up at a little more than 1/4 tank. It works fine from full to 1/4 then stops. The BC stops at the same time. I ran out of gas yesterday with the gauge showing 1/4 tank and the BC showing 126 miles left to go.

How do I fix this?

Lewis

·
Registered
216 Posts
Fuel tank misreading

I had mine hang up and not show any gas after I filled up for the 4th time when the bike was new last year. My service rep said that he has seen a few do it and in most cases the sensor in the tank got stuck. Mine was good to go the next time I filled up. It's a mystery sometimes!

Cheers, Bill

·
Registered
327 Posts
Fuel tank collapsed and crushed the fuel sender unit. It costs about $125 if you replace it yourself.

It is also possible to "pull out the dent" by drilling a small hole in it and use a small screw to pull the dent.

Do a canisterectomy. The canister got clogged and the tank did not vent causing the problem.

I know this....been there done that quite embarrassing to run out of gas and get towed for it:(

·
Registered
79 Posts
Been There Too

Ran out of gas on I-66. Guage said more that 1/4 of a tank. BC said 90 miles to empty. Definately no warning light. I don't know what the dealer did (he never really fessed-up) but it's not a problem anymore.

·
Registered
190 Posts
If you did dent your sender, it is possible to repair it by taking it apart, and rolling the dent out with an old fork tube or piece of pipe from the inside.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Or, you could....

... reset your trip meter every time you fill up, and get gas when you get near the 300 mile mark.

Trip meter worked like a charm on every other bike I've owned (no, they didn't have fuel gauges) and I'm still in the habit of checking the trip meter instead of the fuel gauge on the LT.

I've never been too thrilled about drilling holes in my gas tank to pull out a dent.

·
IBR# 366
16,534 Posts
mobygrape said:
If you did dent your sender, it is possible to repair it by taking it apart, and rolling the dent out with an old fork tube or piece of pipe from the inside.
A socket also works well, especially since you can usually get one with the right outer diameter, or even work your way up from a smaller size to make it easier.

·
IBR# 366
16,534 Posts
Paul,

He's not talking about drilling the plastic gas tank to remove a dent, it's the metal fuel gauge rod inside the tank that we're discussing.

And I also monitor the trip meter, but the only time I've ever gotten 300 miles on a tank is through Yellowstone at a strict 45 mph. At my 40 mpg average, I'm pretty much on fumes by 240-250 miles.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Boy, 300 miles is alot to hope for. I would not trsut that figure unless you have checked and checked and checked you mileage over a long peroid of time and then gone back and checked and checked and checked. ( or unless you live in Denver) Just my $.02.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Grif,
I read your post and found a pinched line. I fixed it and I'm going fot a ride and see if the gauge worksl

Lewis

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well that was about 80 miles and the gauge is still in the same spot. I filled it at the end on the ride and it goes up just fine.
I am leaving for Florida early Thursday and I'll have to do it Harley style.
Good thing the odometer work.

Lewis

·
Registered
327 Posts
pinched line CAUSED the problem. Now your problem is a crushed fuel sender.

Remove tupperware including top piece. On right side of tank is an approx 3 1/2 in roundish brass plate with a quick disconnect to wiring harness. Remove it the plate (fuel gauge). If the tube is not perfectly round, that is your problem.

·
Registered
607 Posts
meese said:
Paul,

He's not talking about drilling the plastic gas tank to remove a dent, it's the metal fuel gauge rod inside the tank that we're discussing.

And I also monitor the trip meter, but the only time I've ever gotten 300 miles on a tank is through Yellowstone at a strict 45 mph. At my 40 mpg average, I'm pretty much on fumes by 240-250 miles.
Ah, my apologies. The one spot I haven't been in yet is the tank.

You guys must ride hard! I get 300 miles on a tank with ease. I guess I left my "hard riding" days when I moved from the V-twin cruisers to the LT. BTW, I do get some strange looks standing next to the LT with $7,000 worth of tattoos on my body...

·
Registered
327 Posts
In yellowstone I got close to 60 mpg and close to 350 miles on a tank. My normal about town is 45-48 mpg and 300 miles per tank. Riding to ccr averaging 90 mph I only got 35-38 mpg and only 225 miles per tank.

Amazing difference between riding styles and year of bikes as others have mentioned different ranges.

Be careful when judging gas fills on milage.

When my tank crushed my sender, I was using the miles per tank rule and I ran out. With the tanking reading 1/3 full I ended up getting towed because, I could not be out of gas. Right?

Very expensive gas fill.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's probably right. I will pull it when I get back from Florida next week.

Thanks

Lewis

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
>>pinched line CAUSED the problem. Now your problem is a crushed fuel sender.

I pulled the sensor and sure enough the tube is bent about half way up.
Now I need to ask another question.

How do I take it apart? I'm a bit leary of just starting to bend tabs out of the way.

Thanks

Lewis

1 - 20 of 31 Posts