BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving down the highway and my 05 (23,K) LT just died..... no warning, just quit running. I was going about the speed limit (80) and it just quit running. At first, I could re-start and it would idle, but would die when any throttle was applied.

I think it is fuel related. Fuel gauge showed over 1/4, and mileage didn't show I needed fuel..... BUT, it acted like I ran out of fuel. When I removed the fuel cap, I heard a "whoosh"

After taking it home on a trailer, I charged the battery and now it runs good. However, I still hear the "whoosh" when the fuel cap is removed.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks, Chris Ogle :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sounds like the tank is not venting. Not sure if it vents through the cap or somewhere else.

Bob

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've got a 2009.
Does it apply to all years?

·
Registered
313 Posts
+3 on cannisterectomy. Mine started in the middle of a trip to Death Valley with the spouse on the pillion. You've most definitely plugged the cannister and it will not recover. The procedure is painless and you can probably do it with just a local anesthetic. You'll be happy you did.

·
Registered
929 Posts
It's a very simple fix--no sweat.:thumb:

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
You sir have a clogged fuel canister . . . however the clogged fuel canister is not the root cause it is a symptom of normally overfilling the gas tank. The tank has a vent line that runs to the canister and when fuel, from over filling, not fumes enter the line if gets in the canister and along with the activated carbon clogs the canister and does not allow it to vent. Once the top of the fuel tank can no longer take in air as you draw fuel out you create a vacuum in the fuel tank. At some point the fuel pump can no longer pump fuel due to vacuum conditions it created pulling fuel out of the tank. It can get so severe that it will distort the gas tank to the point that you can crush the tube that houses your gas gauge level mechanisms inside the fuel tank and you fuel gauge will no longer work or give accurate readings or the bike will just stop running until you open the tank and let some air in!!

I have a 2002 with 60000 miles and never overfill the tank and still have the canister with out any problems because someone told me about what I just told you. :)

As others may have said - time to take the clogged canister out of the vent line circuit and all is well now you can continue to overfill without any issues!!

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THANKS TO EVERYONE ON THE CANISTER INFO... :wave

I AM GOING OUT TO THE SHOP AND GIVE IT A TRY. :dance: Chris Ogle

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
THE CANISTER WAS THE PROBLEM. THANKS TO YOU GUYS, I'LL BE RIDING THE LT TODAY.. :dance:

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
cwo said:
Driving down the highway and my 05 (23,K) LT just died..... no warning, just quit running. I was going about the speed limit (80) and it just quit running. At first, I could re-start and it would idle, but would die when any throttle was applied.

I think it is fuel related. Fuel gauge showed over 1/4, and mileage didn't show I needed fuel..... BUT, it acted like I ran out of fuel. When I removed the fuel cap, I heard a "whoosh"

After taking it home on a trailer, I charged the battery and now it runs good. However, I still hear the "whoosh" when the fuel cap is removed.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks, Chris Ogle :confused: :confused:

Here's a doc with step by step instructions on how to do a canisterectomy.

Attachments

·
Registered
929 Posts
Chris,

Just under three hours--not bad! You probably even ate a little breakfast too...

·
Registered
113 Posts
No canister on European models, just the vent tube.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Howdy and thanks for the info on removing canister. Bike is running good, but I noticed an odor of gas fumes in the garage after parking the bike. Is this normal after removing the canister???

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cfell said:
Yes... the cannister can be "replaced" if you want it to pick up the fumes.

Another "option" is to replace the cannister...

Thanks, Chris Ogle :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had a similar problem, bike dying repeatedly, then after about an hour, it would start and run fine for awhile. Had it in to dealer and after over $1,000, the problem continued. At the end of last season the dealer was waiting for a part to replace - some type of sensor. At the beginning of this season the problem worsened, couldn't go more than a few miles without the bike dying.

I received some great advice here, and finally performed the canisterectomy. Immediately after the surgery, it the bike appeared to be running fine, but then same thing, bike died and after an hour it started and ran fine again.

Any other ideas?

Thank you for all your past help. I really am not mechanically inclined, so this site is a Godsend.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts