BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some info on bypassing the factory alarm in a 2001 LT. The alarm unit has died, as in smoke coming out of it. The bike will not start, no fuel pump or starter motor action. I know the alarm disables these functions when the alarm goes off.

I have removed the alarm and I need to know what plug and wires must be jumpered so the bike will start. I have no manual for the alarm available where I am at. If someone could post a picture or a good description of the correct plug and pins that need to be connected I would be grateful for the rest of my life. I am highly skilled in electronics and wiring and have a voltmeter with me, so all I need is a pointer or two to get me on the road

Thanks,
Jim Woodring
Monroe, TN

·
IBR# 366
16,560 Posts
This link is a .pdf of the alarm installation manual. That should help you out.

I found it by searching the site for "disable alarm". You might find some more useful posts that way.

·
Registered
718 Posts
If you do find out how to disable the alarm, please post the info. I have been looking for a long time, and have never been able to find enough documentation to do it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, this group is great. Bike runs and everything is OK.

Here is a quick rundown of the way to disable the alarm.

Again follow the link to the .pdf of the alarm manual.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8653

Then do the following. Take off the tupperware to get to the alarm unit itself.

When the alarm module is visible just follow these page numbers and directions and this will take the alarm out of the system. You can leave the alarm unit and all assorted wiring in case you want to hook it up again.

On page 18 of the manual under section 9 it describes the install of the alarm and what cables go where.

On Page 28 section 23 it shows the actual cables and the hook up . Look at diagram C and D. These are the fuel pump "C" and the starter relay "D".
Also on Page 28 Section 23 is cable "E" this is the power cable to the alarm. Unplug it and the alarm should be dead, no more siren, screaming, getting pissed off at the noise the thing is making.
From what I see in the manual by unplugging cable "E" and then restoring "c & D" to stock should let the bike start. I don't see any other function with the bikes computers, fuel injection module or ignition module the alarm effects.
Please try this and let me know what happens, I am needing to get this deal finished.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Wood614 said:
Wow, this group is great. Bike runs and everything is OK.

Here is a quick rundown of the way to disable the alarm.

Again follow the link to the .pdf of the alarm manual.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8653

Then do the following. Take off the tupperware to get to the alarm unit itself.

When the alarm module is visible just follow these page numbers and directions and this will take the alarm out of the system. You can leave the alarm unit and all assorted wiring in case you want to hook it up again.

On page 18 of the manual under section 9 it describes the install of the alarm and what cables go where.

On Page 28 section 23 it shows the actual cables and the hook up . Look at diagram C and D. These are the fuel pump "C" and the starter relay "D".
Also on Page 28 Section 23 is cable "E" this is the power cable to the alarm. Unplug it and the alarm should be dead, no more siren, screaming, getting pissed off at the noise the thing is making.
From what I see in the manual by unplugging cable "E" and then restoring "c & D" to stock should let the bike start. I don't see any other function with the bikes computers, fuel injection module or ignition module the alarm effects.
Please try this and let me know what happens, I am needing to get this deal finished.
Your alarm was factory installed and you were able to disable it with this procedure?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, It worked with no problem. Now this was on a 2001 K1200lt, the manual posted in the pdf was the correct manual for the unit I have.

From what I understand the units are the same up until 2005, but I am not 100% sure if all units are the same.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I will try to open my bike up and look at the wiring. I would love to take it off... I worry about the darn thing messing up when I am am a 1000 miles away from home. I would rather not have it. It would be cool to leave it to where it could be reconnected though. The next owner might want it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alarm removal

I freely admit that I was drinking too much wine while reading the alarm removal instructions, and looking at the photographs. That added additional time, but when it finally dawned on me what was supposed to happen, it didn't take very long, and before putting things together, the bike started just as it should.

Halfway through the reassembly, I checked, still good, and when finished, still good. I was a happy camper, and quit drinking any further wine so I would be able to walk around the bike without stumbling, and second guessing myself.

Thanks for posting the instructions,

Don in Seguin, Tx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts