BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. i recently purchased my first BMW… 2014 RT premium. Equipped with Navi V. I want to have the ability to play my iTunes music from an iPhone X, or my Sirius XM app through the external speakers. Also, I’d like to be able to hear turn by turn nav through the external speakers. Is it possible to listen to either and have the music cut when the Nav prompts come up?
I don’t have helmet speakers.
Any help would be appreciated…

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Ok.. i recently purchased my first BMW… 2014 RT premium. Equipped with Navi V. I want to have the ability to play my iTunes music from an iPhone X, or my Sirius XM app through the external speakers. Also, I’d like to be able to hear turn by turn nav through the external speakers. Is it possible to listen to either and have the music cut when the Nav prompts come up?
Doesn't the radio that comes with the bike have XM capabilities? Just activate the radio with Sirius.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Assume your bike has the radio. No radio, no bike bluetooth. If you do have a radio, the aux function should help. If you don't have a radio, there may not be any speakers behind the grill.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doesn't the radio that comes with the bike have XM capabilities? Just activate the radio with Sirius.
The bike has the radio and it is functional. I pay for Sirius in my truck and it comes with the app when you have the subscription. No sense in adding an additional subscription to the bike.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
If you must play your music from your iPhone, then you will need to get the Apple adapter to plug into the USB and audio plug. Long time ago, I had done that with my iPod. OTOH, if your music on your iPhone is in MP3 format, you should be able to copy them onto a thumb-drive (or a microSD card in a tiny USB reader, which was what I had used) and plug that into the USB port, you will have better experience with the radio's built-in MP3 player!

You can play any audio either to your helmet or to your speakers, but not both! Go into the setting and turn on the speakers, and your audio will play to the speakers. Turn off the speakers and the audio will be redirected to bluetooth. Music should always lower its volume automatically when nav prompts are voiced!

·
Registered
232 Posts
When I first got my new ‘16 RT and using that overpriced connector that absorbs 25% of storage capacity in the right side cubby. from BMW it worked, kinda, but super wonky and my phone would freeze when hooked up a lot of the time.
I gave up on the crappy BMW system, IMHO the entire system from BMW was/is a joke. As the GPS audible always conflicted with the music or when having a phone call.
The RT speakers for me were totally useless after 2nd gear, period.

Quality internal helmet speakers for the helmets synced to the iPhone is the most trouble free for me. Works great for my pillion and me. Great accurate sound for the phone/radio/music/conversations with my passenger. I started using this type of system way back during my K1200LT days. The Senna and the Cardo systems rock!
‘The BMW R1200RT external speakers don’t offer noise/music like the system on the Harleys, IMHO it because of fairing design and rider position between the two bikes.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
...using that overpriced connector...I gave up on the crappy BMW system, IMHO the entire system from BMW was/is a joke. As the GPS audible always conflicted with the music or when having a phone call.
The RT speakers for me were totally useless after 2nd gear, period.
It was after reading similar posts that I ordered my '16 RT w/o the $1,500 audio package. I did install the right cubby and a phone charging port to solve that for around $250. I use a Sena 10R and I keep expecting its now 7 y/o battery (had it for my prior F800GT) to die but alas it still works great. And it communicates w/ Nav V, so I get voice nav thru the helmet speakers as well. My helmet is now 7 y/o and I have a hard time believing the "must replace it every 5y" edict really makes sense in terms of actual changes in protection. In fact, as the Shoei RF-1200 is Snell approved there is some plausible argument this helmet does not 'give' enough to offer the best protection in common impact forces, i.e., it's too impact-resistant. Maybe it gets better with age 🧐

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great info… I agree the external speakers stink compared to Harley. Now to find what helmet speakers to buy. Seems as though that will be the easiest solution.

·
Cat Herder
1,576 Posts
you need one of these... You can hear the GPS thru the speakers if you set the audio controls to external.

·
Registered
4 Posts
simple solution. I’ve used this for years. Connect it to your bike then Bluetooth your phone. Will show up as USB option. Works great

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was going to set up playing through my speakers but the quality just wasn't there. Order a Cardo that allows me to take calls and listen to music from my iphone. I can even text.

Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts