BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of swapping out motors on my K1200LT. Mine has 170,000 miles on it and was starting to blow some smoke. I found a whole new drive train (16k miles- engine, tranny, starter, alternator etc) for $800! Could not pass it up.

I am supposed to be leaving on a 10k trip THIS THURSDAY! Nothing like waiting until the last minute.

I am in desperate need of the 30mm socket for the final drive and swing arm. Anyone in the Austin, TX area have one I could borrow for a day?

Thanks,

Pace
512-970-7223 (Cell)

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Caveno said:
You're going to swap the motor out of your LT but don't have a 30mm socket?

They're cheap at home depot..
I think he's referring to the special tool for torquing the final drive pivot pins.
I'm a little far from him.... anyone closer?

In a pinch you could buy a 30mm deep well socket and grind out the window, but it would be a bit of trouble.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I got my at autozone paid the deposit used the tool used it returned it and got the deposit back.
They loan tools all of the time.
Carl

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I am looking for the "Special" 30mm which is modified to allow a 12mm hex wrench to hold the bolt while the 30mm socket torques it. I went to Sears, Harborfreight and a couple of auto shops and was unable to find a 30MM deep socket. If I can't find one soon, I'll have to break out the welder and grinder. :mad:

Thanks,

Pace

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
For all of you newbs offering sage advice -

- the tool he's referring to is a 30 mm socket with a large "window" cut into it. It's a special tool that does not exist ready made outside of a BMW dealership. You can't get one at your local Auto Zone or Home Depot. :rolleyes:

Tool steel is incredibly tough and machining it to the right size (without one to copy the dimensions from) is a bitch since the tolerances are fairly close to enable the 12mm hex wrench to fit inside while rotating the socket around it.

One of our forum members made a number of them several years ago for sale to members at his cost - but it was only out of the goodness of his heart - thanks David. :thumb:

I would not attempt this assembly without one - or you're sure to have major issues.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
The 30mm deep socket should be available at any decent auto parts store. They are most commonly used for axle nuts on front wheel drive cars. A grinder with a cutting wheel should make the long cuts pretty simple. The end cuts may be a little more difficult unless your brother in law has a milling machine.
Good luck on the project getting done so you can go on your planned ride.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,457 Posts
capnpawkee said:
I am in the process of swapping out motors on my K1200LT. Mine has 170,000 miles on it and was starting to blow some smoke. I found a whole new drive train (16k miles- engine, tranny, starter, alternator etc) for $800! Could not pass it up.

I am supposed to be leaving on a 10k trip THIS THURSDAY! Nothing like waiting until the last minute.

I am in desperate need of the 30mm socket for the final drive and swing arm. Anyone in the Austin, TX area have one I could borrow for a day?

Thanks,

Pace
512-970-7223 (Cell)
Pace - give Lone Star a call tamale and ask Mike Goff if you can borry his. The shop is bound to have one --- good luck.

·
Registered
714 Posts
All of the chain auto store will have a 30mm socket that you can use a grinder on. Just grind out a window big enough to make it work. Most of the people working in the store won't know they have them and they might not be with the rest of the tools.

As was already said above. The 30mm sockets are used for the axle nuts on many front drive cars. The socket will cost less than $15 but you'll probably have to search yourself for one in the store.

Good Luck,
Kevin

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
+1

Tool section only had "shallow" sockets, found the 30mm "deep" in the air tool section.

kevincook said:
All of the chain auto store will have a 30mm socket that you can use a grinder on. Just grind out a window big enough to make it work. Most of the people working in the store won't know they have them and they might not be with the rest of the tools.

As was already said above. The 30mm sockets are used for the axle nuts on many front drive cars. The socket will cost less than $15 but you'll probably have to search yourself for one in the store.

Good Luck,
Kevin

·
Registered
65 Posts
capnpawkee said:

Thanks,

Pace
512-970-7223 (Cell)
There is another way, got this from Paul Glaves: Use blue locktite on the 12mm fitting, torque it corectly and let it set-up for at least 1 hour. Then torque the 30mm fitting with a standard (windowless) socket.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
capnpawkee said:

Thanks,

Pace
512-970-7223 (Cell)
There is nothing like swapping a complete engine you never tested just before embarking on a 10k trip... You are a very brave man Pace! :rolleyes:
I happen to have the tool you want to borrow however I am in California and shipping would take too long for your project!
After removing the swing arm you may realize that you need new bearings... and maybe a few other replacement parts. If I were you I would also replace the slave cylinder and rear transmission seals, and drill the weep hole. Your time frame may be a bit ambitious... :wow:
Good luck with your project!!! ;)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I missed my Thursday deadline so I had to skip the first leg of my trip. Found out I had a leaking transmission seal and the final drive was leaking also. More work, less time.

made my own 30mm tool :dance:

So far I have:
swapped out engine, clutch, transmission, starter, alternator
complete rebuild of final drive
clutch weephole procedure
replaced all seals on transmission
new tires
changed all fluids (engine, trans, final drive, brake, clutch)

Considering the bike has 170,000 miles on it, I am pretty happy. I love this old mile eating bike.

Shortened trip. Next deadline is May 7th for 7k trip (www.rftw.org). This one is much more doable and I can't miss since I am a road guard.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts