BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd appreciate help with a diagnosis.

37000 miles...just had dealer do 36k service.

Never leaked oil before.

While on center stand, a fair amout (not just a few drips) coming out from below about where the side stand arm comes up on the left side. Have a metal drip pan under it. The oil is yellowish, doesn't smell, and seems to be very light viscosity...

Planning a 2k trip to Sturgis in 3 weeks. The dealer can't see it until the week before, so I am thinking of alternatives. Took the metal assembly with the gearshift off to get a better look, but didn't see anything. Thinking of taking the tupperware off to get a better look.

Any ideas?

Regards

Doug

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Hopefully its just brake fluid over flow. There is an over flow tube comes out near the center stand. Did they change brake pads or over fill the rear reservoir? Leaked how much? and has it stopped? If not maybe it leaking out the bleed screws? Did they bleed brakes?

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Wild guess but is it brake fluid? In that location it could be coming from the slave cylinder or the servo pump.

Is the front master cylinder full of fluid?

Is the clutch master full of fluid?

Did the stealer do a brake flush and possibly not get a bleed plug tight?

If you raise the drivers seat and look to left of center I think you may be able to see the top of the brake servo pump assembly. On the rear of this assembly are two long bleed screws. Take a look to see if anything looks wet in that area.

Good luck

Roy

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,553 Posts
If it has a "funny" feel when rubbed between your fingers it is most likely brake fluid. Did they do a flush as part of the 36K?

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
jzeiler said:
If it has a "funny" feel when rubbed between your fingers it is most likely brake fluid. Did they do a flush as part of the 36K?
Guess we can rule out coolant, since it's a 36K service?? I've seen blue, green, and yellow coolant, butt mostly blue in the LTs.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Might be oil from a cracked/broken breather tube too.

Thats where mine came running down.

Any unusual smells?

·
Registered
137 Posts
The clutch slave cylinder bleed hose, which is located underneath the engine and comes up the right side to the bottom of the fuel tank, could be leaking.
The grub screw possibly could be loose if they flushed and bled the clutch line.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Help...2002 LT oil leak...Fixed!!!

Thanks for the help. You have saved me about 10 hours of trailering and $$$$.

It was brake fluid. I took off some of the tupperware to have a look.

Attached is a photo showing where it was leaking. A careful few foot/pounds on the allen screw tightend the banjo fitting and the leak stopped.

I am delighted. Sturgis, here I come.

Regards,

Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
439 Posts
You may ave some air in your brake system now if leak was bad enough.
Watch for ABS warring lite.
Be safe and have fun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts