BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
so wait a minute, those old guys that are telling my that my helmet will only cause me to get into an accident because I am 'relying' on it to save me while it critically blocks my vision and ability to avoid accidents may not be right :confused:

In the last several years I think I have started seeing a shift in the way drivers think, it used to be that drivers made a decision about whether or not to take an action based on the level of risk of an accident, now I think people base their decisions on survivability and don't worry so much about accident avoidance. I think all these air bags, crumple zones and the constant advertising about how a car will protect you from harm in an accident has altered the psyche of the American public - just my rantings.

·
Registered
71 Posts
copperstatetour said:
In the last several years I think I have started seeing a shift in the way drivers think, it used to be that drivers made a decision about whether or not to take an action based on the level of risk of an accident, now I think people base their decisions on survivability and don't worry so much about accident avoidance.
In the Detroit metro area, in the last few years I believe people make the decision to manuver thier car on whether or not they might get in to a collision. It seems that they usually do NOT care. Also, I use the word "collision" as the word "accident" implies there is no one at fault. It is quite sad.

I blame this on three things.
1. The PATHETIC measures we take in teaching people to drive/lack of a true skills test
2. All of the unnecessary gadgetry thar are now in cars. IE, GPS, google search, cell phones, etc. (GPS is very nice, but being able to search for a fast food resturant while traveling in the area of 110 feet per second is absolutely not necessary)
3. A near complete lack of punishment for using these things while driving. The fines and punishment for distracted driving need to be much higher. High enough to actually be a deterrent.

I've gone off topic slightly :rotf:
I don't think any helmet study is going to change the minds of anyone here in Michigan. First of all, if the study is based on the last 3 months here, the time of the study is too short to be difinative. Second, like every other discussable topic, everyone seems to be polarized on this. Those who want to wear a helmet, do. Those who do not have been waiting for this to become legal so long, they could care less. I have had quit a few people ask me lately why I wear all my gear (asking with a very snotty attitude, and they seem to all like a certain type of motorcycle). I usually reply "Because I like my face, and road rash sucks"

We all KNOW you are better off with safety gear if you are involved in a traffic incident, no matter what this study says. If you don't want to wear any of it, I respect your choice. Please respect my choice to wear it all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts