BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to mount a set of helmet speakers and microphone for the intercom system into my helmets (one for myself, one for Telle, my wife). We have HJC 3/4 helmets, with provisions for the speaker mounting, and mounting the mic boom is no problem.
What I would like to know is this: what the heck do you do with all the associated wiring? They give you enough lead to wrap around the helmet twice. I've tried stuffing it inside the liner, but when you put the helmet on, you can definitely feel it, and it's uncomfortable. Does anyone know if it's possible to remove the lining completely so that an area could be carved out in the foam to secure the wiring in? What other options are there? Oh, I've thought about cutting and soldering, but the leads are coaxial on the speakers, and too small for these old eyeballs to see what I'm doing (even with the bifocals on!)

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Tat...
Wrap excess speaker lead around the speaker.

Excess mic lead tuck behind the liner in a winding manner with no "overlap"... I tuck mine into the back center of the helmet, low, next to the neck pad.. never feel it.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Find the least intrusive places in the helmets to run the wires. You may have to fiddle with it a bit, but I would seem to think that there is somewhere in there that the wires can be routed where you won't feel them. I would not recommend carving the foam in there, wouldn't want to compromise it's integrity.

Randy

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I just did this to two of my helmets when I installed my Autocom and your right it's a pain. Some helmets are better than others when doing this and sometimes you can run the wires between the cracks in the foam pieces and sometimes you can't. If you can take the cheek pads out then run the boom next to the hard surface and I used Gorilla Tape to keep it there and velcro to put the pad back. Then I ran the speaker wires around the speakers and went around the rear of the helmet and burried the wires under the moulding and pad there. Get a blunt object to work with and use it to stuff the wires under the padding but be very careful you don't hurt them.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I sent a helmet off to Autocom to install a headset once. They use hot glue (glue sticks through a glue gun) to mount the boom and secure the wires.

Speaker placement is still velcro and a royal PITA to get right, but the hot glue works wonders for everything else. Now I do it myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts