BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Have you ever had a helmet stolen from your motorcycle?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2009 R1200RT Low, 2010 R1200RT Low
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you ever leave your helmet sitting on the tank when away for an hour or so - lunch etc?

Have you ever had a helmet stolen?

FYI - I lock my full face to the grab handle with a cable lock, but it still takes some time to do so.

·
Registered
K1200LT 2005
247 Posts
Shortly after CA helmet law enacted (1992) I had helmet locked on the bike. Someone cut the strap and stole it. Since I got the LT, I've kept it in the trunk. Now in Redlands, CA, I often leave it sitting on the seat while shopping. No issues.

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
269 Posts
I've pretty much always carried it with me. Once in a while, I'd leave it in a side case. Never had a problem, but then, I never wanted to risk an expensive helmet, either. (Oh, O.T.: In my former home state of Kalifornia, it's NUTS to trust your helmet, or even your dang bike, to be there an hour after you leave it unattended. It's straight 3rd world in many parts of Cali, which is why I'm not living there anymore.🙄😖)

More off topic:
Lol, I've only been on a couple of rides since I bought my bike last fall (it's been a cold spring, and I just haven't been mentally "ready" to commence regular riding yet). On my second ride, I put the helmet in a side case while I went into eat lunch. I could have taken it in with me, but it was more about trying out all the new "toys" with the bike. Well, when I went out, it was cold, starting to rain, I'm standing in the parking lot, and the dang thing won't open up. I've lubricated everything since then, and I'm still not certain what exactly went wrong. I've had problems opening the cases or separating them from the bike, something I never experienced on my previous BMW's. I was thinking that it might have to do with understanding the central locking system, but can't imagine why my key wouldn't open the cases. Testing them further is "on the list" of stuff to do on the bike.

It's LEGAL to ride without a helmet in Idaho, but I really didn't want to do that, on the way home. It took me 15 or 20 minutes to finally get that helmet out of there. NOT fun. It'll be a while before I put anything I really into those side cases, trusting that I'll be able to get to it. The new 49L top case? No problem. So, I think it may be lose tumblers or something like that with the locks.

So, my new helmet will go where I go. I like it too much to just give it away. 😁 (If I ride with the 15 yr old Nolan, however, it'll probably be sitting on the tank, HOPING someone relieves me of it, so it stops tempting me to use my favorite old standby.) 😏

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
Depends on where I am and how long I plan to be away, as well as can I be where I can see the bike. Yes I've left the helmet on the bike - a lot.

Never had anyone even consider fooling with my bikes or anything left on them when I'm on the road. Common sense is your best safety tool.... ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Had mine nicked on an Italy tour. Stopped the bike, took my helmet off and went for a pee behind a tree. Less than a minute later the helmet was gone. Google said the nearest bike store was 150 miles away. Panicking and swearing. Around the corner was a builders merchant. So i bought a hard hat and rode the 150 miles. Saw a couple of police cars on the way but never got stopped. The shop staff was rolling on the floor when i told them what i had worn. Got a 50% discount on a new helmet, a beer, and a pizza from the shop owner. Best holiday ive ever had.

·
Premium Member
6,160 Posts
Do you ever leave your helmet sitting on the tank when away for an hour or so - lunch etc?

Have you ever had a helmet stolen?

FYI - I lock my full face to the grab handle with a cable lock, but it still takes some time to do so.
That depends entirely on "where"! I make judgement calls when I stop. Public rest areas on the Interstates? Definitely put my helmet inside my topbox and lock everything, otherwise, the helmet can stay on the seat even when I walk well away from the bike.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If I am in an urban area, the helmet is locked /secured. If I am in a rural area I just leave all my gear sitting on top of the bike. It's a judgment call and so far I have been right ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts