BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used an aftermarket helmet lock with their LT? I have a 2007 and am looking at the ZTechnik Z5505 and the cyclegadgets Helmet Guardian. It isn't clear that the Helmet Guardian will fit the LT and when I inquired at cyclegadgets the answer was not definitive either. The ZTechnik looks for sure to fit an LT, but it appears that each lock has its own key and I really don't want to have to mess with two keys. It is bad enough that I can't get a lock that uses the same key as the rest of the bike.

Are there any other helmet lock solutions that you have found useful and better than the stock cable under the seat option?

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Here's the solution I came up with for $10.50 each for the locks - but you need to buy Eagle One armrests to complete the picture. ;) I especially like the location since I can put my full cover on as well and keep rain, dirt, etc. off the helmets. I never really cared that much for the option on the license plate frame - a lot of grit back there...

I didn't look around very much, but I'll bet there's several places you could hard mount the locks directly on the tupperware...

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30134&highlight=ghetto

·
Registered
860 Posts
RonKMiller said:
Here's the solution I came up with for $10.50 each for the locks - but you need to buy Eagle One armrests to complete the picture. ;) I especially like the location since I can put my full cover on as well.

I didn't look around very much, but I'll bet there's several places you could hard mount the locks on the tupperware...

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30134&highlight=ghetto
I did one better... Two locks, 4.95 total (plus CA tax) and they lock the helmet to the XL J-pegs...

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a Helmet Guardian that I used on my Triumph Trophy. I don't know that it will fit on the LT -never tried it.

I do know that on the Trophy's plastic rear flap, the weight of the Helmet Guardian alone caused cracking at the license plate bolt holes and caused them to spread rapidly. That certainly may relate to the material used on the Trophy or the specifics of it's design, but after I got done stop drilling about a dozen cracks and epoxying a reinforcement behind the plate area, I wasn't willing to try it on another bike.

YMMV

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
My LT came with this 3 foot long cable that is under the seat and is hooked to a metal loop on the frame. I lift the seat put wire threw the helmet, rehook the wire to the loop and close the seat

Attachments

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I use Helmet Guardians on my both LTs.

Voyager said:
Has anyone used an aftermarket helmet lock with their LT? I have a 2007 and am looking at the ZTechnik Z5505 and the cyclegadgets Helmet Guardian. It isn't clear that the Helmet Guardian will fit the LT and when I inquired at cyclegadgets the answer was not definitive either. The ZTechnik looks for sure to fit an LT, but it appears that each lock has its own key and I really don't want to have to mess with two keys. It is bad enough that I can't get a lock that uses the same key as the rest of the bike.

Are there any other helmet lock solutions that you have found useful and better than the stock cable under the seat option?

·
Registered
43 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MattKas said:
I use Helmet Guardians on my both LTs.
Matt,

Do you have pictures of how the installation looks?

Matt

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mrrick said:
I installed the Ztechnik helmet lock http://www.ztechnik.com/products/html/Z5505R.html on my 02 LT. Didn't like how low it hung the helmet so I inverted it and have been very happy ever since.
Mr. Rick,

Same question as for Matt: do you perhaps have a picture of the inverted mount on your LT? Also, are the key codes different for each of the locks?

Matt

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have gaurdian on my 09 LT and I will try to post pics tomorrow night (7-16-08) after I get home from my 600 mile service. Yes they can get crudy if your traveling in the rain and stuff, but when I clean off the cra off the back of the bike, I shoot a touch of WD-40 into the lock. Hope it keeps internal guts from corroding and such.

·
Registered
712 Posts
PDsgt said:
I shoot a touch of WD-40 into the lock. Hope it keeps internal guts from corroding and such.
Just an FYI, WD-40 is a water displacer. It doesn't perform any long term lubrication. If you want that, shoot some oil in there. I use Tri-Lube on all my locks, but couldn't say how well it would do in a dirty/watery environment.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Right on about the WD Arthur but I got a tip from a locksmith that "Graphite" is the best for weather facing locks!
Bought in a tube, push it past the key door and squeeze a little, it's lasted me bout five years.

Sam

·
Registered
195 Posts
Other than the color of the bike and license plate, that's what mine looks like too.

I'm thinking about relocating it though because I don't like how close my helmet hangs to the exhaust pipe. (And if you took out the two screws that hold the mud flap on to the bike, the plate and locks come off too.)

This post is what I'm thinking will work pretty well as soon as I get the courage to drill into the body work!

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
34 Posts
fpmlt said:
Is this what you're asking about?
Same as fpmlt. I didn't use the bolts that came with the kit. Replaced them with longer tamper-proof hex bolts, locking washers, stainless steel nuts, and some red loctight (total cost was 3 bucks at Auto zone).

If I'm alone I only use the right side lock. I like my Nolans to much to put it near that hot pipe even once. When I ride two up, we big our helmets inside. Our use the lock after she cools down. Its a nice option to have if you have full bags and really don't want to carry the helmets down to the beach after a nice ride.

I would never leave my helmets on the lock over night out. Its very easy to just cut the chin strap on a high ticket helmet and buy a replacement chin strap. I have seen one drunk guy even use a upturned locked helmet to relieve himself outside a bar. Now that would be an real pissah!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi, I know I am just a junior member, but I was more concerned with all the stuff in the helmet; head phones, mike, eye radar alert, cords, etc. so I opted for the Lidsafe, (or pacsafe), secure helmet bag. They are available through A&S or from www.pac-safe.com . Les

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LesKloppenburg said:
Hi, I know I am just a junior member, but I was more concerned with all the stuff in the helmet; head phones, mike, eye radar alert, cords, etc. so I opted for the Lidsafe, (or pacsafe), secure helmet bag. They are available through A&S or from www.pac-safe.com . Les
I got an error on the above url, but it seems to work fine if you omit the dash.

Matt

1 - 20 of 22 Posts