BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried this helmet holder on their LT? Given that the license plate is somewhat recessed on the LT, I am wondering if two FF helmets can get close enough to this holder to be attached.

I realize that the security of it is marginal, but it at least should prevent the casual “grab and dash” theft.

https://www.nationalcycle.com/z5505a.html

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
I have a friend that has an RT with a helmet lock that looks like that and I'd considered buying one for my LT, but sold it. The only concern I had was that the helmets would be lock very low on the bike and I thought they would be more prone to getting dirtier at that location. i have the bar end locks on my GTLE, but haven't really used it much and they don't work well with the Neotec II helmets, as they don't have D-rings. :bmw:

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Has anyone tried this helmet holder on their LT? Given that the license plate is somewhat recessed on the LT, I am wondering if two FF helmets can get close enough to this holder to be attached.

I realize that the security of it is marginal, but it at least should prevent the casual “grab and dash” theft.

https://www.nationalcycle.com/z5505a.html
I ended up using a 4 foot cable and lock. It was handy for my helmet and jacket, but I rarely use either. Most of the time I put my helmet in my side bag.

I still can't imagine anyone taking someones worn motorcycle helmet! I keep mine pretty clean with a "Silky" but still would not want someones used helmet.

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up using a 4 foot cable and lock. It was handy for my helmet and jacket, but I rarely use either. Most of the time I put my helmet in my side bag.

I still can't imagine anyone taking someones worn motorcycle helmet! I keep mine pretty clean with a "Silky" but still would not want someones used helmet.
I put mine in the top case when riding locally solo, but my main issue is when my wife and I are traveling. Then our cases are stuffed to the gills and we have two helmets. I hate carrying my helmet when visiting museums, national parks, etc., but have done so several times. About half the places we visit will store our gear near the visitor desk, but many places tell us that they either have no space or can’t for “liability” reasons.

For short stops at restaurants, we leave our helmets plugged into the intercom and just rest them on the seat and throw our jackets over them to help ensure they don’t fall off. However, for longer visits where we aren’t within sight of the bike, I’d rather not do that, although we have in certain parts of the country.

I am not worried so much about the helmet as I am the intercoms. I am not even sure I can buy the BMW compatible headsets any longer. I think J&M stopped selling them as did BMW. So, if one of my helmets was stolen, I would likely have to switch to BT headsets and they don’t work with my old VOICE II intercom so I would have no access to my radio or CB. My Nav 5 has BT so I could still use that, but I suspect it would be a pain trying to interface BT to my bike VOICE II intercom.

We have been blessed to have never had an issue in many thousand miles of travel in US, Canada and Europe, but I still think it worthwhile to take some precautions.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
I had one on my LT. It is hard to see from the picture. I used it a handfull of times. I thought it was a little flimsy caused by the weight of the helmets, but it did serve its purpose. I believe that you are mounting it to the plastic anchors which to me is not that strong. Again, I have not had my LT for 9 years, so my memory be be slipping.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a friend that has an RT with a helmet lock that looks like that and I'd considered buying one for my LT, but sold it. The only concern I had was that the helmets would be lock very low on the bike and I thought they would be more prone to getting dirtier at that location. i have the bar end locks on my GTLE, but haven't really used it much and they don't work well with the Neotec II helmets, as they don't have D-rings. :bmw:
Yes, not the ideal location, but I figure a dirty helmet is better than a stolen helmet. :grin:

I am sure one helmet would hook up fine, I am just not sure that two will given the way the BMW side cases extend a little past the license plate plane. I may just risk the $75 and give it a shot, but I can continue to use the cable under the seat method, but that requires raising the seat which is no longer easy with the RDL as it was with the stock seat. Although, I guess since I could add a lock to my kit and then just run the cable through the side case handles, but that is one more thing to have to carry and store.

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had one on my LT. It is hard to see from the picture. I used it a handfull of times. I thought it was a little flimsy caused by the weight of the helmets, but it did serve its purpose. I believe that you are mounting it to the plastic anchors which to me is not that strong. Again, I have not had my LT for 9 years, so my memory be be slipping.
I knew somebody here had to have tried one of these! :smile:

Yes, the mounting on the LT is sketchy and I have been looking at ways to reinforce it if I go this route. Do you recall if you ever had two helmets attached to it? That is my main concern given the shape of the LT’s derrière.

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Between my helmet and the Sena 30 K attached to it I have an investment of around $1,000. When I get off my bike the helmet comes with me.
Do you just carry it when touring museums and such? I really would not have wanted to carry mine for 4 hours walking through the Barber Museum, but then they had places to store gear unlike many other places we have visited.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,257 Posts
No matter how strong you make it that whole plate, tag and all comes off with two Torx fasteners.

Reactions: kbob12

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I just bought a 4' length of vinyl coated steel cable from Home Depot, made a small loop on each end, covered the bare ends with shrink wrap and secure it with a small Master lock. It goes through the sleeve of our riding jackets, both helmets and locks to the bike. Works great and I believe cost me about $15. It fits in the small side pocket of my SW Motech tank bag.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just bought a 4' length of vinyl coated steel cable from Home Depot, made a small loop on each end, covered the bare ends with shrink wrap and secure it with a small Master lock. It goes through the sleeve of our riding jackets, both helmets and locks to the bike. Works great and I believe cost me about $15. It fits in the small side pocket of my SW Motech tank bag.
I currently use a couple of 2’ long bicycle cables that easily hook over the BMW helmet hook under the seat. They store easily in my side case under my liner bag, but that requires raising the seat. I may just remove the Russell adjuster bolt with its big plastic knob and replace it with a pan head screw trimmed to the right length to position the backrest where I want it. I don’t see a need to adjust it. Once I find the right position it should be set and forget. With a pan head “adjuster” screw, the front seat should lift again reasonably well again.

It just would be convenient to be able to quickly hook the helmets somewhere that would have enough security to prevent the grab and dash style thieves. Nothing you do is going to prevent a determined thief, but most security folks recommend you at least try to slow them down and maybe get them to pick an easier target. I am not sure why BMW can’t provide decent helmet locks on bikes that cost $25+ grand. Although, even Honda forgot how to do helmet locks on the new Wing. They are at least as laughable as the LT system. The helmet locks should activate keylessly as with the other locks on the bike. Should not be a need to carry extra cables, locks or keys in this day and age.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I currently use a couple of 2’ long bicycle cables that easily hook over the BMW helmet hook under the seat. They store easily in my side case under my liner bag, but that requires raising the seat. I may just remove the Russell adjuster bolt with its big plastic knob and replace it with a pan head screw trimmed to the right length to position the backrest where I want it. I don’t see a need to adjust it. Once I find the right position it should be set and forget. With a pan head “adjuster” screw, the front seat should lift again reasonably well again.

It just would be convenient to be able to quickly hook the helmets somewhere that would have enough security to prevent the grab and dash style thieves. Nothing you do is going to prevent a determined thief, but most security folks recommend you at least try to slow them down and maybe get them to pick an easier target. I am not sure why BMW can’t provide decent helmet locks on bikes that cost $25+ grand. Although, even Honda forgot how to do helmet locks on the new Wing. They are at least as laughable as the LT system. The helmet locks should activate keylessly as with the other locks on the bike. Should not be a need to carry extra cables, locks or keys in this day and age.
I have those bike cables for my bikes, but I like this 4' section because it's thinner and packs much smaller than the bike cables. It certainly wouldn't stop a determined thief, but I'm comfortable no one is going to "grab and go".

Most helmet locks from the past wouldn't work with today's helmets anyway...no D ring. I guess the manufacturers of touring bikes figure if you're that concerned, just plan to lock them up in a side/top case.

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have those bike cables for my bikes, but I like this 4' section because it's thinner and packs much smaller than the bike cables. It certainly wouldn't stop a determined thief, but I'm comfortable no one is going to "grab and go".

Most helmet locks from the past wouldn't work with today's helmets anyway...no D ring. I guess the manufacturers of touring bikes figure if you're that concerned, just plan to lock them up in a side/top case.
Except they won’t fit in the side and top cases of the new Wing. >:)

Reactions: powwow

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
Reactions: Voyager

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Like I said previously, I have bar end locks on my GTLE (Lidlox.com), but they apparently don't make them for the LT's. Here's a picture of another cable type lock I have, which can be used to lock your helmet and jacket to the bike. Good luck on your security quest! :bmw:

Attachments

·
Registered
601 Posts
Do you just carry it when touring museums and such? I really would not have wanted to carry mine for 4 hours walking through the Barber Museum, but then they had places to store gear unlike many other places we have visited.
I have to admit I haven't used the bike for touring any great distance. I mostly use it for rides out in the country and lunch at cafes but if I needed to lock it to the bike I would probably just use the helmet hanging point located under the seat.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
I am blessed to have the original cable for securing helmets to the hook under the seat. The helmets sit quietly on the seat. I do remove the Sena 20S comm units.
I think Voyager may have that cable, but when he changed seats it is making it time consuming to get to the hook under the seat. What was once a 30-second procedure has now turned into three or four minutes, plus the chance to rip the seat.

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think Voyager may have that cable, but when he changed seats it is making it time consuming to get to the hook under the seat. What was once a 30-second procedure has now turned into three or four minutes, plus the chance to rip the seat.
Bingo! I lost the original cable, but I have two similar replacements as it is easier to hook up two helmets using two cables rather than one.

It is the RDL seat backrest that raised the issue as it prevents raising of the seat now. They clearly did not test their backrest on an LT.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts