BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have a Shoei Neotec II, Schuberth C4 basic (Pro without comm system), and Nolan N100-5 right now. All are great helmets but the integrated Sena on the Shoei is not as good as the Cardo Pactalk Bolds I put on the other 2. Shoei flows the most air followed by Nolan then Schuberth. Hence the Schuberth is the quietest. My favorite is the Nolan unless it is cold then I wear the Schuberth. I don't wear the Shoei now unless it is going to be above 90.
Another good tool to help with head shape and helmets is: https://www.lidpicker.com/

Revzilla has a great return policy (plus price matching) if you can't find a shop to try on the helmets first.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Just for a bit more balance, I wasn't talking about the C4 as I have never owned one. Although the rest is correct, Schuberth have or are discontinuing the C4 as it hasn't been a great seller and as i said, there is a new helmet launch in November, which will be a ?? C5 maybe :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
This is all very good input and info that helps me make a informed decision. After some more research , I have come to realize that a windshield ( windscreen) makes a difference in how the helmet handles air And how it handles noise. I also came to realize that big changes happen above 60 mph. I took the wife for a ride yesterday wearing the HJC helmets we now have. They seem somewhat quiet up to 60 mph,above that and they get noisy. I found a couple of reviews comparing the shuberth against the shoei and on a bike without a windsheild the schuberth got the better review, on a bike with a windshield the shoei got the better review. The reviews all stated that the Schuberth fit a round head better ,and shoei fit a intermediate oval head better. I can fit test a shoei helmet ,but I don’t have a shop close to where I live to fit test a schuberth. Thanks very much for helping me make a informed decision.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I’ve had the C3 Pro for several years and it’s all day comfortable for my head shape. The “Pro” versions of the C3 and C4 are different than the basic versions, and the Pro’s are rated at 85dB - the “regulars” are not and that’s the key difference. When it’s time to replace my C3 Pro I will definitely be looking at Schuberth’s latest offering first.

The C4 Pro has Schuberth’s new lining and the built in comms speakers and antenna that only work with the custom Sena system Schuberth sells (which I think is a detriment because I don’t think it’s a plus to be locked into one brand or type of comms).

My C3 Pro is very quiet, but definitely designed to be quiet in smooth air (like, no windshield air). In turbulence or buffeting, I don’t know that it’s much quieter than other premium helmets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Today we drove 2 hrs to our closest motorcycle super store ,that handles many helmet brands,but no longer carry Schuberth. We came home with 2 Shoei Neotech 2 helmets. Doing the measurements we both should be in a small size helmet in the Shoei brand. My wife says the small fits her good. I could not get my glasses on with size small. For some reason I really wanted it to work. I moved up to a medium. It seems to work for me. I think I am somewhere in between the small and medium. This might be where the schuberth brand fit might be better. I don’t really know without being able to try one. We will wear them around the house some to check the fit and see how they do.

·
Registered
2012 R1200RT
41 Posts
As a retired mech engineer, I have worked on the helmet noise problem for years, including working from noise consultants from where I previously worked over 20 years ago. I unsuccessfully approached an Active Noise Cancellation manufacturer for aircraft headsets, noting that the market in motorcycling could be potentially much larger than aircraft. Not interested. I thought it might be a good application of their technology.

From some simple tests I now think noise mostly originates from turbulent air hitting around the helmet forehead, randomly exciting the helmet in the bell vibration mode, resulting in the forehead and rear moving in and out, while the ear coverings move out and in at about 80 Hz (read that again carefully). Potential improvement could be obtained by helmet manufacturers by adding a constrained layer damping system around the helmet base to at least suppress much of the bell mode, although these schemes are temperature sensitive. Again the helmet manufacturers don't seem to be interested in seriously working the problem.

Otherwise, my conclusions are that the noise signature of present M/C helmet is mostly determined by the particular configuration, including rider's height, fairing height and windshield height, and that the difference between helmets is amazingly minor.

Anyone else interested in this problem?
Yes, I find this subject interestiing.....and relavent as noise and helmet comfort can make or break a long day in the saddle.
After years of exposure to high noise levels I am paying the price in tinnitus and hearing loss. I would like to keep what's left.
Like most riders I have experimented with helmets windscreens and ear plugs and like you have found that there are many many factors that affect noise levels. I used ANC headsets in the cockpit for years and found them to be effective. It seems to me ANC technology would be tailor-made for comm units like Sena and Cardo. Either marketing or tech problems must be keeping them from going to market.
I would also like to see more helmet companies make available padding that would allow some tailoring to ones head shape. For example, the HJC helmets fit my head well, but they crush my jaw. You cannot buy different cheek pads so are stuck with what the helmet comes with. I run a hot iron over the extremely tight areas to shrink the foam slightly, but of course, too much of that can affect the efficacy of the helmet in a crash so I'm reluctant to modify it too much.
Maybe the whole helmet paradigm needs to be rethought. I wish I had the intelligence and money for the research. It would make a great retirement project!

Reactions: Handy1

·
Registered
2020 R1250RT
71 Posts
I also use HJC helmets, not because I am cheap, but because they fit my head well. I buy their top line helmets. Currently have 2 RPHA 90 modular helmets. IMHO their fit and finish are on par with Shoei but for less money. Shoei's just don't fit my head as well. Same with Schuberth which I used to wear.

With helmets as others have mentioned, it is more about fit than anything else.

Good luck!

Rick G

·
Registered
2021 BMW R 1250 RT, 2020 BMW R 1250 GSA, 2014 HD FLHTK, 2005 Honda Goldwing
71 Posts
I have been very happy with the C3 Pro as a Winter helmet and keep buying them. It keeps my noggin warm and dry. The higher priced C4 doesn't offer any discernible advantages for my use. Wife likes her C3 women's version much better than the standard C3. The position of the chin strap is more comfortable according to her.
Noise is subjective. Rider height and windshield position make a significant difference. As a reference, my summer helmet, a Shoei GT Air, is definitely quieter than the Schuberth. Since I don't ride with speakers I am unable to comment on the functionality aspect of it.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I buy my helmets from The Visor shop in England. Big selection on hand. And other items like a full spread of Held gloves.
The Visor Shop | Motorcycle Helmets | Tyres | Accessories | Parts
One reason I stick with the C4 is the European version is a bit lighter than the one sold in the states and has the EU safety standard which is better than the DOT mess. The outer shell size takes a jump when you go to XL. Visors are expensive.

Reactions: Corkguy

·
Registered
2021 R1250RT
10 Posts
Love the wealth of information on this forum. Just got back into cycling after a 12 year layoff. Riding a 2021 RT and trying to solve wind noise issues which has been taking the pleasure out of riding. For the record, I always ride with ear plugs. I got a new Bell Mag 9 helmet (yes, open face) and tried to determine what was causing the noise. I tried it with and without Sena attachment, vents open and closed, sun shield on and off, wearing a balaclava scarf, and windshield at different heights. I got thicker cheek pads for the Bell Mag 9 and that did make an improvement, but still not acceptable. Didn't have this noise issue with my 2006 RT. Came close to buying a full face helmet (Schuberth C3 lite) as a last resort to resolve this issue. Decided first to do a final test--wear what I wore with my 06RT--my 15 year old Arai sz/m (which I believe has evolved to a Arai Ram 4). The old Arai helmet was much quieter. Couldn't believe it. I put the helmets side by side and noticed the Bell's face shield was flatter whereas the Arai's shield was much more oval. Then I read in this forum the glowing reviews about the Quiet Ride windshield. I ordered it last week and installed it yesterday. Took a test ride with my Bell Mag 9 helmet and the new windshield solved the issue, even at 80 mph (which is my max on a freeway).

·
Registered
250 Posts
I buy my helmets from The Visor shop in England. Big selection on hand. And other items like a full spread of Held gloves.
The Visor Shop | Motorcycle Helmets | Tyres | Accessories | Parts
One reason I stick with the C4 is the European version is a bit lighter than the one sold in the states and has the EU safety standard which is better than the DOT mess. The outer shell size takes a jump when you go to XL. Visors are expensive.

Ahem - The Visor Shop is in Northern Ireland - it's generally not advisable to confuse that in any way with England :p

·
Registered
21 Posts
And to add slightly to the topic, I have noticed, when wearing my C3 Pro on the motorway that it is very loud at motorway speeds. So much so that I have to wear earplugs. I was riding along once and put my hand up to the Cardo unit on the side, and there was a marked reduction in noise. Experimenting, i noticed that just blocking the base of the helmet made a big difference. I remember that some brands of collar are available for this purpose which go around the base of the helmet to your neck, but these are no good on a modular helmet.

I am going to try rolling up a buff or something and having it up against the base to see if it will work. I remember reading someone who just put the collar of his motorcycle jacket up, and put some foam padding in the shoulders (Crystal from Dynasty, come back all is forgiven :) ).

·
Registered
194 Posts
I bought a new Arai in April of this year and I absolutely love it. It is the Corsair X model. It is very comfortable, great airflow which is essential here in Texas in the summer and it has little pockets for speakers for one's BT devices. They are not cheap but I value my head. Bell Helmets had the best ad back in the 80's when they said, 'if you have a $20 head then buy a $20 helmet' :)

Here is a pic of mine.

·
Registered
BMW R1200RT, 2015
33 Posts
I bought a new Arai in April of this year and I absolutely love it. It is the Corsair X model. It is very comfortable, great airflow which is essential here in Texas in the summer and it has little pockets for speakers for one's BT devices. They are not cheap but I value my head. Bell Helmets had the best ad back in the 80's when they said, 'if you have a $20 head then buy a $20 helmet' :)

Here is a pic of mine.
For me, it's one of the best helmet brands, I just sorry they don't have the modular version...for that reason i chose Shoei Neotec 2 ✌

·
Registered
270 Posts

Here is a pic of mine.
The Arai pin lock shields that seals wonderfully with no fogging, and Arai recesses for audio are excellent, also the way the lower cheek pads fit helping to keep it quiet makes the Arai line up hard to pass up. My new Arai Signet X is hands down the best helmet for me…

·
Registered
194 Posts
For me, it's one of the best helmet brands, I just sorry they don't have the modular version...for that reason i chose Shoei Neotec 2 ✌
I believe it has something to do with structural rigidity. I believe they feel it will decrease impact strength so they don't make them. Same thing when Shoei came out with the embedded dark visor piece. Arai didn't want to change/redesign their shell to accommodate the dark visor so they built a system (called Pro Shade) with it on the outside. My previous Arai had the system and it worked very well. Initially I thought with the dark visor up it would generate some noise or buffeting but it never did.

Here are some pics:

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
I have the C4 Pro and my wife prefers the C4. We have the integrated com system and it works perfectly for us. The C3's on the other hand were not a good fit and we sold them. Other helmets just didn't fit as well for us. Good luck! But try it on before you buy and leave it on for awhile. Our local shop let us try ours on and we left them on for 30+ minutes and sat in the lounge (yes we wear helmet liners) for added protection.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Have tried Shoei, Arai, and even Shuberth C4 with their bluetooth. Always go back to HJC with Sena bluetooth. they just fit better and seem quieter than the previous (key) to me!

·
Registered
'22 1250 GSA next week. '17 RTW ready to trade.
252 Posts
I have always wanted a higher end helmet over The HJC that I have been using over the years. I have had many models of the HJC brand. I have been drawn to the Schubert C3 for sometime, but could never bring myself to spend that much for a quality helmet. I have found some good price reductions on there helmets. I lean toward the C3 pro and have founds some at a somewhat reasonable price. For my wife ,I can only find the C4 pro in a women’s helmet. Not that she has ever had a helmet made for a women,but thought I would go that way this time. The reviews for a touring helmet lean to the C3 pro over the C4 pro. I have a C3 pro and aC4 pro in a shopping cart waiting for me to hit the buy button. Should I buy both helmets in a C4 pro ? Keep searching for a women’s C3 pro or hit the buy button on what I have.
I had an HJC that I really liked until one day on the road the click-lock for the chin guard stopped locking. I looked at the mechnisim...PLASTIC!!!

I was on my way to a rally. I bought a C3 then and there after looking at the other options. It was a pricey, nice, quiet helmet but it really hurt my forehead after an hour or so on the road. I think something expands when they get warm. It was worse in the hot sun.

I used the back of a spoon to press hard on the styra-foam stuff under the liner in front of my forehead. Safety has it's place. It's behind acceptable comfort for me. That helped a lot, but still after several hours, the forehead thing would return and I'd have a mark on my face for 20 minutes or so.

I was cruising the Revzilla site one day and found a recommendation to buy the C3 Pro liner and retro-fit the C3. I bought one and, like magic, the forehead problem was gone. This is now my favorite helmet ever. I've had dozens.

C3's are around for discounted prices. If you retrofit the headband to a C3 Pro, you've got a terrific helmet.

The difference between C3 and C4 is the shape. C3 designed more for upright riding and C4 being more for leaned into the wind riding. The screen in the C4 is a little bigger but the C3 is actually a little quieter. C3 Pro has a deluxe liner and maybe a little different venting...but it's a C3. If I were buying on a budget, the C3 with updated Pro headband liner thing would be my choice.

I've really like the Shoei, but it's expensive, heavier and just plain doesn't fit my head very well. Same problem...forehead.

So...there's my take on high-end flip-ups.

Oh...I bought an AGV carbon fiber flip-up in a weak moment. Lightest flip-up on the market etc, etc. Save your money. It's noisy and just not comfy. Wear ear plugs for sure. Still prefer the C3.

·
Registered
'22 1250 GSA next week. '17 RTW ready to trade.
252 Posts
I find the Shoei very comfortable. I also had the first Shoei Neotech and loved that also. I switched from Nolan which are nice but not as comfortable. I do not where earplugs with the Shoei unless I'm on my dualsport riding it on the street. The RT is so quiet there is no need. I have never tried a Shuberth so I can not give you a comparison.
reg: I can report that the C3 can be ridden all day on interstates with no earplugs without any ringing in the ears at night. Quite a treat after all the molded earplugs I've put up with. Schuberth C3 (with C3Pro liner) is a really quiet and comfy helmet for me.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts