BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always wanted a higher end helmet over The HJC that I have been using over the years. I have had many models of the HJC brand. I have been drawn to the Schubert C3 for sometime, but could never bring myself to spend that much for a quality helmet. I have found some good price reductions on there helmets. I lean toward the C3 pro and have founds some at a somewhat reasonable price. For my wife ,I can only find the C4 pro in a women’s helmet. Not that she has ever had a helmet made for a women,but thought I would go that way this time. The reviews for a touring helmet lean to the C3 pro over the C4 pro. I have a C3 pro and aC4 pro in a shopping cart waiting for me to hit the buy button. Should I buy both helmets in a C4 pro ? Keep searching for a women’s C3 pro or hit the buy button on what I have.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Helmet choice is always going to be subjective. What suits one won't suit another!
In saying that, I went through the same process that you are having, and I chose the C4 Pro. I got it here in the UK at what was a good price and my main reason for choosing the C4 over the C3 was the truly integrated comms system that is available for the C4.
Overall I am very happy with the helmet, although the claims for it being a quiet helmet is debatable, again subjective I suppose.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nolan N103
Not sure if there is an updated version.
I have used Nolan for years for work and leisure.

I have a Schuberth C3pro still in the box with comms. Probably will never make the switch

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
354 Posts
You might want to look at some comparisons between the Shubert and the Shoei Neotech II. It might change your mind. They are both excellent helmets. I chose the Shoei

Reactions: PadG and Handy1

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You might want to look at some comparisons between the Shubert and the Shoei Neotech II. It might change your mind. They are both excellent helmets. I chose the Shoei
i have been looking at the shoei neotech as well, because it is a well made helmet. Most but not all have said the schubert is quieter than the shoei, some decimal reading real world test have the Schubert c3pro at a slightly lower decimal level. I have not researched the real world decimal level for the c4 pro . The manufacturer claims 85 decimal.Some have said they feel the shoei is quieter. The fit of the helmet certainly plays a big part of how much noise is in the helmet. My HJC have a lot of noise and I wear ear plugs To help with that. Thanks for your input . I had my choices narrowed down to Schubert and shoei,and leaned toward Schubert. Any info you can provide on the shoei would be helpful.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nolan N103
Not sure if there is an updated version.
I have used Nolan for years for work and leisure.

I have a Schuberth C3pro still in the box with comms. Probably will never make the switch

I have a couple of Nolan helmets that we used for a while. They never fit us as well as the HJC and we went back to them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a couple of Nolan helmets that we used for a while. They never fit us as well as the HJC and we went back to them.
I was a Shoei user open face user, transitioned to Nolan... the sizing was a bit to get used until broken in.

Never ventured to Neotech. Schuberth I was interested and purchased but it never made it outside the box!! Lol

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
354 Posts
I find the Shoei very comfortable. I also had the first Shoei Neotech and loved that also. I switched from Nolan which are nice but not as comfortable. I do not where earplugs with the Shoei unless I'm on my dualsport riding it on the street. The RT is so quiet there is no need. I have never tried a Shuberth so I can not give you a comparison.

Reactions: Handy1

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have to say it is more about fit than anything else. You should try on as many as you can.
I have tried many brands and had to pay up for an arai. Their helmets come in different head shapes. I needed a long oval which i could not seem to find elsewhere. Plus i can buy alternate interiors to fine tune the fit. All day comfort is not a problem. I like the c4 also it is a great helmet that did not fit me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was just about to say what roadriderg just said. It's all about fit. Myself and my wife both had Schuberts, the previous version to the C3, possibly even two versions before. . Mine fit fine, but she always had pressure on her forehead. We replaced them with two C3 Pros, (at the time the C4 was hugh money, just launched). We had to send her C3 Pro back as she had the same problem with the forehead. It was a C3 Pro Womens as well. I think that is just a bit of marketing, there is no difference to the helmet shape.

Anyway, we got a shoei Neotec for her and it fits her better. So my head is a Schubert head, and hers is a Neotec. We wear the same size 59, otherwise.

As regards noise, I find it also differs depending on which bike I ride. The C3 is definitely not quiet, and I have to wear earplugs. My wife never does, even when she had the shubert.

So my advice, the Schubert and Neotec are on a par as regards quality, go with whichever one fits both of you, as long as you can send them back.

We're both happy with our respective helmets.

But the C4 is nice though :).

·
Registered
BMW R1200RT, 2015
32 Posts
I can only talk about the brands I know and it's all a matter of head shape. Shoei is for longer heads
while Schuberth is for round heads. This is the experience I have. For me Shoei Neotec 2, comfortable and very well soundproofed!

·
Registered
85 Posts
As a retired mech engineer, I have worked on the helmet noise problem for years, including working from noise consultants from where I previously worked over 20 years ago. I unsuccessfully approached an Active Noise Cancellation manufacturer for aircraft headsets, noting that the market in motorcycling could be potentially much larger than aircraft. Not interested. I thought it might be a good application of their technology.

From some simple tests I now think noise mostly originates from turbulent air hitting around the helmet forehead, randomly exciting the helmet in the bell vibration mode, resulting in the forehead and rear moving in and out, while the ear coverings move out and in at about 80 Hz (read that again carefully). Potential improvement could be obtained by helmet manufacturers by adding a constrained layer damping system around the helmet base to at least suppress much of the bell mode, although these schemes are temperature sensitive. Again the helmet manufacturers don't seem to be interested in seriously working the problem.

Otherwise, my conclusions are that the noise signature of present M/C helmet is mostly determined by the particular configuration, including rider's height, fairing height and windshield height, and that the difference between helmets is amazingly minor.

Anyone else interested in this problem?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Agree with everyone who stated go next try them on. I tried a bunch until I found the Arai Signet series. For me that is all I have worn for almost 20 years. For me it is the most comfortable quietest helmet on the market

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
539 Posts
Oh yes, very much so, thanks to my tinnitus, but hold no hope of any manufacturer taking steps in the right direction.

Like @Gomoca said, head shape is the main factor, depth of your pocket the other. I used C3 helmets for years, superb quality and on that bases alone worth the asking price, but jump over the C4 straight into C4 Pro, if that is what you go with @Handy1. How quiet a helmet appears to you will depend on many things as @niel_petersen mentioned it. My part of the world is quite windy, so I never really get much of the quietness of the RT bikes people speak about in other parts of the world. Side wind will make sure of that. Because of that I use ear plugs all the time. Go for a good fitting tuned plug like what Pinlock makes (yes, the anti-fog visor maker) and your life will be way better on the bike, to the point that the helmet quietness will become secondary.

Good luck with your choosing.

By the way its "deciBel" for noise :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As a retired mech engineer, I have worked on the helmet noise problem for years, including working from noise consultants from where I previously worked over 20 years ago. I unsuccessfully approached an Active Noise Cancellation manufacturer for aircraft headsets, noting that the market in motorcycling could be potentially much larger than aircraft. Not interested. I thought it might be a good application of their technology.

From some simple tests I now think noise mostly originates from turbulent air hitting around the helmet forehead, randomly exciting the helmet in the bell vibration mode, resulting in the forehead and rear moving in and out, while the ear coverings move out and in at about 80 Hz (read that again carefully). Potential improvement could be obtained by helmet manufacturers by adding a constrained layer damping system around the helmet base to at least suppress much of the bell mode, although these schemes are temperature sensitive. Again the helmet manufacturers don't seem to be interested in seriously working the problem.

Otherwise, my conclusions are that the noise signature of present M/C helmet is mostly determined by the particular configuration, including rider's height, fairing height and windshield height, and that the difference between helmets is amazingly minor.

I just read a review, that had stated what you said in a more basic way, which got me to thinking. What the guy said, was he went from a Schubert C3pro that he used for many years to a shoei neotech . He stated that the C3 pro was a quieter helmet on a non windshield bike, but he discovered that the bike he was riding mostly now had a windshield and the shoei neotech was a quieter helmet in the turbulent air created by the windshield. That makes since to me, I just never give it any thought. This maybe why some riders claim the shoei is quieter helmet .

·
Registered
2014 R1200RT LC
94 Posts
My wife and I are happy with our matching Nolan N100-5s, with installed N-Com 601 system (though I may upgrade to N-901/902 in the future). Always went with Arai when I was younger, but that was well before modular so no comparison really. Rode across the US in July and it worked just fine, good ventilation and easy to make/receive calls through the paired iPhone. I bought earplugs, but don’t feel I need to use them after all. With cooler weather on the way, I’ll get to test out the included pinlock. I have a longer head, I suppose, probably from speeding.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Schuberth C4 is discontinued and there is a C3 replacement hitting the shops in the UK in November. So there should be some good deals around on the C3 Pro. I have had a C3 Pro, but to be honest thought it was not as good as the Shoei Neotec. Mine leaked down the visor and as the shell is smaller, if you have helmet speakers in it, it was very uncomfortable. Also the neck roll is secured by a couple of plastic pins, which break all the time. The fix is to glue a rivet head or a piece of metal in the neck role end to hold it in. So I moved to a Shoei Neotec 2, now have two of those helmets which I use daily, one for work and one for pleasure. Very satisfied. But as others have said, it is all about fit rather than one make over the other. IMHO Schuberth lost the plot and the quality has gone down, but the new helmet that is coming is supposed to have addressed these issues, but nobody has seen it yet :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
....and just for a bit of "balance" I have a C4 Pro Carbon which I have worn in "biblical" rain and has never leaked, there have been no problems with the neck roll and I don't notice the ear speakers which are of course pre-fitted. However, I would not describe it as "quiet", although I would say it is (subjectively) quieter than an Arai Tour X4.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts