BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have just purchased a new 2014 R 1200 RT. We also purchased two new Schubert C3 helmets. In the past we have had Arai helmets that we have been able to attach to the bike on a installed helmet holder. We purchased the helmet holder but can't figure out how to attach our Schubert helmets. If this is impossible, what other way can we do this. Thanks

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
We have just purchased a new 2014 R 1200 RT. We also purchased two new Schubert C3 helmets. In the past we have had Arai helmets that we have been able to attach to the bike on a installed helmet holder. We purchased the helmet holder but can't figure out how to attach our Schubert helmets. If this is impossible, what other way can we do this. Thanks
Been using one of these from REI for several years. One loop to helmet and 2nd loop around passenger grab handle or any other accessible place on the bike. Very compact and easy to store.

REI Double Cable Lock - REI.com

Reactions: Boulder35

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the suggestions. Our problem is their doesn't seem to be anything on the Schubert helmet to attach to. There isn't a ring on the chin strap.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Thank you for the suggestions. Our problem is their doesn't seem to be anything on the Schubert helmet to attach to. There isn't a ring on the chin strap.
I put the wire through the visor opening and under the chin bar it works fine and is secure and the wire from the bicycle lock is long enough to secure both helmets.

Gerhard

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have a C3 Pro also. When I asked the dealer how I can secure it he told me to lock it in the top case. I don't always have the bags on my RT. I think I'll try the cable lock. Thanks.

·
Registered
747 Posts
good morning: I saw this the other day but, was busy, an forgot to add my reply.

I have a SS coated cable which I pass the helmet and out under the face shield of both helmets, then hook the looped ends under the seat and close the seat.

lock bags, top case and we are good to go.

Reactions: Boulder35

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
With a helmet now at $6-700 and a $400 communication system attached, I take my helmet with me if I can't get it out of sight and weather protected inside a saddlebag or top box.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'd just like a place to put it so it doesn't fall, even if not locked. Right now, that place is hanging by the chin bar on the left passenger peg.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Many years back, bikes came with locks. Even then I found them useless, and apparently so does the manufacturer, since they are not offering that option anymore. I remember many years back noticing a guy with a gorgeous girl leaving their helmets hooked to that device, thru the rings. A few hours later went back to the bikes, and noticed that them helmets were gone, with only four rings still dangling in the locking device. As we were pulling out of the parking lot, I noticed in the mirrors somebody running after us! Recognized the guy that left the helmets there. Stopped to see what he wants. The kid was crying, thought we may have taken his helmets. Easy to see he was wrong. "brand new helmets, was wearing them for the first time today" he says. Helmet law is in place so he can't go home to get the old set of helmets, so he wants to borrow mine. The girlfriend is to stay with us until he comes back. Hmmm, nice girl, was thinking, but what if he is not coming back? Had a great Freddy Spencer replica Arai at the time, so I offered to take him home with my friend's helmet. Never forget foreseeing them helmets to be gone...And yes, I would have traded the helmet for that girl, but for sure, the helmet staid with me!:wink:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Unless I have the top case with me and can lock the helmet in there, out of site, my helmet comes with me!
Nothing will keep the helmet with the bike!! Well, depends on the helmet as well...

Reactions: motorhead1977

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
I have left my helmet on the bike many times. Usually, I just carry my helmet inside with me, even though I can put it in the top case. Why? When it's hot outside, the helmet stays cool when inside. In winter, the helmet stays warm inside. Today, at lunch, my helmet was on the table and my jacket was on the back of a chair... no problem.

Not sure who would want my smelly old helmet anyway.

You could print out an "official" sticker that says there is a GPS tracking chip in the helmet and put it on the back of the helmet. Use a reflection paper to make it useful at night.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Check the reviews at REI . . .
As with any product I'm sure there are some problems and while the posted reviews seem problematic I guess I'm lucky 'cause been using this lock for about 5 years without a problem.

Reactions: zippy_gg

·
Registered
'18 R1200RT, '18 Abarth 124 Spider, '87 VFR 400R & an everyday sedan.
118 Posts
You can get them from Schubert as well. Call their US # Some dealers also have them.
You can get them off Amazon but not branded as Nolan. Had a couple of somethings similar that came with the GL1800 when I bought it. Never had any issues with anyone trying to snag helmets from the GL1800 off the rear built in helmet locks (under the top trunk) and have worn Arai helmets for years. They were very useful when the top box was packed full (and side bags as well) for OTR trips. Since I have no helmet locks available on the RT I now either lock the helmets in the top box (if attached) or side bags if empty. Otherwise we take them with us. Installed helmet locks on the Ducati and also use a cable lock for jackets since the Duc has no luggage. No issues there either.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts