BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Helmet and Comm. combination dilemma

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  johnread 
#1 · (Edited)
Sometimes reading too many reviews and discussion treads can drive you nuts trying to make a product decision.
That’s my case between the Sena SRL2 in a new Shoei NeoTec II or the Cardo Slim/Bold in the NeoTec II or Schuberth C4 Pro.

I am willing to pay for comfort and functionality. I want a good quality, quiet, light, modular helmet along with a good sounding communication system that won’t be outdated technology in 6 months. Yes, I realize any technology you buy is automatically outdated, but you get my point. We fork out a bit of dough for this equipment, you want it to last.

I want to receive calls, talk with and share music with my passenger, and connect with others in a group. I have a Navigator VI I also want to connect with. Not too much to ask, right?

I like the modular idea of Sena SRL2 in a new Shoei NeoTec II, but my concern is it supports only Bluetooth technology. The Cardo Slim looks like a good compromise but does it work well with these helmets? Anyone have experience or advice with these helmet and communication configurations? Thanks!

#2 ·
CaveBay,

This is one of the most discussed and confusing topics on the forum. That said, here is my experience:

My wife and I have the Neotec 2 and SRL system and really like them. I have mine connected to my iPhone 8Plus, my Nav VI, and share comms with my wife. Works flawlessly. I don't listen to music, but this connection is ideal for listening to music from my phone. I don't share music with my wife, instead, we paired her SRL to her phone and she has complete control over what she listens to. She reports that the system interrupts her music when I speak to her through the comm system and then restores back to her music when we're done talking.

I can also initiate and answer phone calls through the helmet with this system, although I don't do that very often.

Very good system and highly recommended!

Attachments

#3 ·
Thanks Johnread, I appreciate the insight.

Have you tried listening to SiriusXM from the bike paired to the helmet? I have read FM paired from the bike results in poor quality audio.

#5 ·
I'm not Johnread but my girlfriend and I have Neotech 1s with a pair of Cardo Slims. We share music from the bike (Sirius and an old phone with my music library) pretty much any time we ride together. I can't report any loss of music quality but the combination of music and intercom requires we be in bluetooth mode (not the Cardo mesh that works bike to bike with a big group) and can be a bit glitchy. However, it works and we're fairly happy overall.

My only negative is the Slim battery pack that mounts on the back of the rider's helmet has a flashing light that drives the GF crazy on a dark night. Highly technical fix, a strip of tape stuck to the communicator above the light but open at the bottom, I can still see the indicator by looking up from below the helmet to confirm it is off or on before donning the my helmet. Really bad design, I would definitely order the "Bold" over the Slim if I could go back in time. :mad:

OTOH, the voice control in the Cardo is the best thing since sliced bread. "Hey Cardo, radio on" "Hey Cardo, volume down" Brilliant. :yeah:

#4 ·
I have a Shoei GT Air with a Sena 20s Evo. Paired with an iPhone 6 and a Nav VI allows me to stream music, hear spoken GPS directions, make and receive phone calls, have Siri available, and intercom with riding friends. Fairly inexpensive solution with some factory remans of the 20s Evo available from Sena right now.

#6 ·
I had the first gen of Carla Rider and it works well till Bluetooth 2.0 came out, I also have 2 Sena 20S using on 16 R1200RT with Samsung Note 9 and NAV VI. Hated that thing, phone calls are static in or out, I switched over C4 with SC1A, phone calls now clearer and since it is 2 channels it was limited to what you can do. Users were complaint about software from V 1.1 to 1.1.2, the volume is not as loud as it used to, I paired it the way I wanted to work and after 8 months of use it kinds of short circuit. Schuberth NA did a customer good will and replace it, I did not paired the replacement like I used to, I just do the standard pairing. Early March 2019, Schuberth/Sena released the new software/firmware version and it works perfectly, I can not ask for more. For sounds wise, I found Schuberth headset's speakers sounds a lot better than Sena it also up to each individual ears. BTW, SC1A manual says it share music in com, in reality it does not and my wife just wanted the com to chat not listen to music. I do not have alot of extra cash to buy different headset to see which one works best, since firmware update I am happy with what I have.

Tony

Sent from my SGP312 using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I have the Shoei NeoTecII with the Sena. First, I think it is a very good helmet. I find it as comfortable as my RF1200, although a bit heavier and a little louder. The Sena is well integrated works as advertised. It connects to my iPhone X, the Nav 6 and the bike without issue. I do listen to music through the USB of the motorcycle. It works fine and the Wonderwheel controls this. I think I have taken one phone call and it worked as expected. I believe it came through the Nav. I have not used it as an intercom, so I can't comment there.

Honestly, more often that not, I forget to turn it on, so unless I am thinking about listening to music when I set out, it goes unused. Perhaps this is a testament to the clean integration. I forget that it is there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.