BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time reader of this forum, for over a year. This is my first post. So hello to to all the wonderful people here :wave. I love this forum and love reading the threads and they gave me a wealth of information on RT and prepared me well for my ....drum roll...new toy :) 2013 RT

Well..last weekend I got a new 2013 RT, and joined this club. This is my first BMW motorcycle, replacing a cruiser. I was in the market for a used 2012 or 2013, and I was timing my move. Waited till 2014 hit the dealerships. Got a good deal (IMO) on a demo 2013, loaded with all options, including chrome exhaust :) (except NAV) with 800 miles on it. If you are curious, I was able to negotiate it down to bit over 16k, and tax and fees are extra.
This bike is absolute fun to ride. Logged over 400 miles in last couple of evenings!

Question for the gurus here: I plan to keep this bike for few years(6 to 7) and was thinking of adding NAV IV( yes IV, not V). I like to buy the unit and the mount and install it myself, and take it to service just for software update for the handle bar controller. Is that doable? I mean install it myself to save labor cost and let dealer take care of software upgrade?

How easy/hard it is to install the unit and route the cables? Anyone has install instructions or a divi net you can point me to?

Throttle

In case anyone is looking for new 2014 RT, I saw two RT sitting on the floor, at the dealership in Modesto, CA. I asked the sales guy, if they are taken, and his response was no, and he is surprised that they have not one but two, waiting to be claimed.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Welcome Throttle ! You are going to love the bike. The Nav install is easy because the bike has the power and data connections already in place under the instrument panel. You only need to pull the wiring harness to the GPS down to the wiring harness connectors through the instrument panel, and that is not a big deal to do. There should be no necessary upgrade to bike software for the controller and the GPS unit (Garmin with BMW add-on stuff) is easy to upgrade the maps etc.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Welcome on board Throttle.

You love the bike. Please update your profile to show where you are. You may find there are people local to you.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Welcome aboard, Throttle. You got yourself a nice bike there, end of an era! Great bunch of guys and gals here on this board - you'll learn a lot. Ride safe.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hey throttle.. congrats on the bike. I have a 13 as well and received a NAV IV with the purchase. I like it it is pretty good. Love the bike though!! What color did you get?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey throttle.. congrats on the bike. I have a 13 as well and received a NAV IV with the purchase. I like it it is pretty good. Love the bike though!! What color did you get?
Thanks! I got Fluid Grey Metallic. Love the color and how it handles. One quick question on your setup with Nav IV and multi-controller.
Can multi-controller control Nav features? how much of it is available via multi-controller?
If you pair your phone with Nav IV, can you accept/reject calls using multi-controller?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome on board Throttle.

You love the bike. Please update your profile to show where you are. You may find there are people local to you.
Thanks. I am trying to figure out how to update the profile and such. WIll get there. I am in Northern CA, Rocklin area

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new ride. This is the best RT forum IMO. Lot's of great people here. :bike:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thanks! I got Fluid Grey Metallic. Love the color and how it handles. One quick question on your setup with Nav IV and multi-controller.
Can multi-controller control Nav features? how much of it is available via multi-controller?
If you pair your phone with Nav IV, can you accept/reject calls using multi-controller?
I have the Fluid Grey Metallic too! Mine doesn't have the audio system. I just have it paired to my Sena headset. I also paired my phone to it. I tried pairing my phone to the Nav and Nav to my headset. For some reason the sound of the phone and music via the Nav is distorted and garbled so I paired them separately to the Sena and works great now.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Welcome Throttle - you will enjoy that bike. Not sure how you can type after riding it - I was shaky! ;-)

The Nav IV is pretty easy to install - I have one on my '13 and really enjoy it. I have a Shuberth helmet and have the Bluetooth setup and coupled to my iPhone so I can take a call on the road if I have to (which I don't like doing - but if it's safe and quiet on the road I might answer a quick one)...

You will like this forum. Great bunch of guys and gals.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Welcome Bob, Check out the Nor Cal Forum as we have a weekly dinner get together on Wednesday nights. Also a few rides adn tech sessions here in Nor Cal. Best of luck with the new RT, Enjoy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts