BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new member here.
New ride is a Mineral White 2022 RT. First BMW I've owned. Lots of new terminology to learn. Lots of features to discover.
Riding about 1000miles a month in the hills and canyons north and east of Los Angeles. Pleasure riding only, no running errands, no commuting, very little freeway.
The more I ride the bike, the more I'm sure I made the right decision !
Prior ride was a ST 1300. Good bike for its time. Unfortunately, Mother Honda decided to abandon the touring market.
Tire Wheel Sky Fuel tank Vehicle

Registered
2018 R1200RT
Hi, new member here.
New ride is a Mineral White 2022 RT. First BMW I've owned. Lots of new terminology to learn. Lots of features to discover.
Riding about 1000miles a month in the hills and canyons north and east of Los Angeles. Pleasure riding only, no running errands, no commuting, very little freeway.
The more I ride the bike, the more I'm sure I made the right decision !
Prior ride was a ST 1300. Good bike for its time. Unfortunately, Mother Honda decided to abandon the touring market.
View attachment 179527
Congrats! No, SoCal is not "hot". I just came back from Knoxville, TN, and Auburn, AL (plus a side trip to Pensacola, FL). 90F at about 90% humidity, is "hot". SoCal is just pleasantly warm, by comparison. (I know; I lived there most of my life. 馃榿) Having just returned to Northern Idaho today, well, it's hot and a bit humid (I live on a lake), but it was ALMOST as nice as about 300 days a year on SoCal, and a welcome relief from Alabama. (Well, about this time last year, the temps went to between 100F and 110F, first time since I've been here six years, and it stayed that way for a whole month! So, hoping for "normalcy", whatever that is in N. Idaho. 馃ぃ

Ride safe, but certainly, have some fun out there. Most of my Beemer riding was commuting, which kinda spoils the fun of pleasure riding, so you're doing it right.

(Note: Sent you BMWLT PM; look for it.)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the warm welcome. :)

Congrats! No, SoCal is not "hot".
It's a dry (108掳) heat. Redlands, CA. :cool:
Well, it's a little hot. Yesterday a friend and I rode almost the entire length of CA2, 'The Crest', to Wrightwood for lunch at our favorite eatery, the Evergreen Cafe. It was a comfortable 77* at the higher elevations.
By the time we made it home to the SCV, it was 108* with high monsoonal humidity. 馃サ
One of the reasons I sold the ST 'Pan European' was the heat coming off the engine. I had to ride with a heat shield on my right calf.

Beautiful ride! Welcome! I ride the San Gabriel mountains Monday - Friday... when no one else is on the road!
Absolutely, the San Gabriels (and everywhere else) are best ridden midweek with very little traffic and almost no LEO's to rein in any possible spirited riding.;)

I hope to learn all about the bike (especially how to use the NAV function) and someday even have something meaningful to contribute.

Registered
2018 R1200RT
Nice bike. Hope to be out there in the twisties soon. I鈥檓 in the Poway area and looking for an RT currently. All Harleys and Dual Sports previously. MOTIVATION!
RT's have a sport bike heritage. You'll be riding more upright, chin over the tank, but not for forward as in "cafe racer" style. That's a problem for some cruiser riders, but actually, it's a very natural riding position IMHO. Also, while Harley's (again, my observation) usually have a "tractor seat" type profile, RT's stock seats are somewhere between a bench and tractor. Many (if not "most", in my experience) riders opt for a customized seat, either off the rack like Sargent, or a customized, customized seat built just for the rider (e.g. Corbin, Russell Day Long, and a few other craftsmen do this). Also, if you're taller or shorter than the "average" rider (e.g. probably 6', I'm 6' 2"), there are a few things that can be done to make an RT more comfortable. Another add on for cruiser rides who don't like quite as much of an upright position, are bar backs, which will move the handlebar grips up and back a bit. All just to say, you can customize an RT to make it fit YOU, as it might be a bit different experience from the street bikes you are used to. Dual sports ride higher and more upright, so maybe the RT will be OK as is for you.

Good luck on your RT search. If you can't afford new, best years to target IMHO are 2017 and 2018, if they're in your budget. For the previous generation, I'd stick with 2012/2013 (just because bugs get worked out by the later years of a model run).

Anyhow, all the advice you didn't ask for .... 馃檮 馃憤.

Registered
all great advice, thanks for that. I鈥檒l probably try to pick up a can head RTP initially as a commuter (diesel prices are killing me) and then decide if I want to shell out the money for a new 1250. Again, thanks for the advice, looking forward to posting pictures soon.

Registered
2018 R1200RT
all great advice, thanks for that. I鈥檒l probably try to pick up a can head RTP initially as a commuter (diesel prices are killing me) and then decide if I want to shell out the money for a new 1250. Again, thanks for the advice, looking forward to posting pictures soon.
My first Beemer was a 2003 RT-P, and it was a great learning experience. I learned how to drop it gracefully several times (and oh, yeah, pick it up too). I assembled a whole workshop of BMW specific tools (many which were, of course, useless on my next 2005 RT). Oh, and splitting the bike to rebuild the Tranny, R&R the clutch, and "while I'm at it" replace every ball bearing, needle bearing fitting I could, did the spline lube thingy, R&R rear engine seals, i.e. did everything except maybe repaint it to make it ride like new. And, it did, too, for the remaining six months I had it. Just like most of my old dirt bikes, I spent more time under it than on top of it. The next bike (the 3 year old used 2005 Hexhead RT) was solid as a rock.

So, just be a bit careful what you bite into. Some of those LEO bikes are pretty trashed. Mine was a "low mileage" local (Orange County, CA, USA) PD bike that I got in an LA auction, which after doing some research, I found was the Tustin PD training bike. Kind of explained some of the early failures in the transmissions clutch, and other things. It was pretty much beat to death. Honestly, I'd spend a couple more dollars and find a low mileage, one-owner civilian Camhead mount if you can find one (not sure where you live).

Registered
Welcome and love the bike in that color. I'm in Central Texas and we've had almost 50 days this year over 100F, a few of those up to 109F, THAT is hot. :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts