BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All-

Here is Moto Mouth #11 - my review of Helite's Turtle Hi-Viz vest, which is a mechanically actuated airbag you can wear over your favorite riding jacket. What do you think of this device?

(I'm going to post this in the other forums too, since it's not RT specific. Hope that's OK!)

-MKL

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
I bought a hi-viz Helite vest a few of months ago and unlike the guy at
haven't tested the product on (or is it going down?) the road.
I have however tested it in a McDonalds carpark where I had to get off my heavily laden RT using an awkward backward hopping-on-one-foot method. I soon realised i hadn't untethered. BANG! It worked.
The jacket inflated in an instant, my upper body was rigid and my neck braced. I was first of all surprised and then impressed, as was the guy sitting in the car parked next to me. My riding buddy who happens to be the Australian distributor for Helite vests (Moto Smart Products focused on motorcyclist safety and comfort ? Moto Smart) was surprised and unimpressed. He replaced the gas cylinder and told me I'd have to pay for the next one. It hasn't happened since.
The vest is now part of ATGATT.

Ian

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought a hi-viz Helite vest a few of months ago and unlike the guy at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v6BL-OQquY haven't tested the product on (or is it going down?) the road.
I have however tested it in a McDonalds carpark where I had to get off my heavily laden RT using an awkward backward hopping-on-one-foot method. I soon realised i hadn't untethered. BANG! It worked.
The jacket inflated in an instant, my upper body was rigid and my neck braced. I was first of all surprised and then impressed, as was the guy sitting in the car parked next to me. My riding buddy who happens to be the Australian distributor for Helite vests (Moto Smart Products focused on motorcyclist safety and comfort ? Moto Smart) was surprised and unimpressed. He replaced the gas cylinder and told me I'd have to pay for the next one. It hasn't happened since.
The vest is now part of ATGATT.

Ian
Hi Ian-

Did you find my observations accurate re wearing it over lighter mesh than a super-duty jacket like Motoport on the hottest summer days?

-MKL

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Did you find my observations accurate re wearing it over lighter mesh than a super-duty jacket like Motoport on the hottest summer days?
I've only had my Helite vest for the three months of our southern hemisphere winter and worn it over a heavy winter textile jacket. In summer I'll often be wearing it over a lighter weight mesh jacket. I'll let you know how I get on.

Ian

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Second day of summer here (Australia) and I was able to go for a ride with my Helite airbag vest on.
Setting the scene - ride duration 1 hour, temperature 37 - 38.5 degrees celsius (98 - 101 degrees fahrenheit), route country with a bit of town.
I wore the vest over a touring jacket with large vents front and back. It felt like the vents started where the vest finished because I could still feel the flow of air through the front vents, around my side and out the rear vents. So I would say the vest itself didn't add much or anything to how warm I felt.
The situation could be different had I worn my mesh jacket. But maybe not as much as you might think. The Helite vest wouldn't cover the full width of the mesh jacket at the front and none of the arms thereby allowing air to pass through.The Helite has armour in the back that could impede air flow but a decent mesh jacket worn by itself would have armour as well so not much difference there.
Helite's product range now includes a mesh jacket with integrated airbag, which looks like it allows maximum air flow.
Helite Free-Air Vented Airbag Jacket - Helite Moto

I must declare an interest here. I know the owner on Motosmart Helite airbag vests and jackets ? Moto Smart who imports the range of Helite motorcycle products into Australia. We went on a 5 day tour earlier in the year and he brought along an airbag vest for me to wear and return when we finished. Well i didn't return it did I, and I bought one for my wife as well. Anything that moves the percentages in our favour is a good thing.

Ian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts