BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the R1200GS and in particular the GSA. I am 6' tall but have only a 30" inseam. I know many of you probably have similar problems. How do you deal with riding (or should I say stopping) these long legged beasts? Is there a way to lower the GSA?

I sat on a lowered GS at Iron Horse in Tucson and I could easily flat foot that one! My RT is fine for me too but I am still interested in a GSA.

You comments are welcomed!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I want to add a GSA to my collection so bad I can't stand it. So far, I haven't been able to find a way around it with my 5'8" stature with out making serious adjustments to the bike that will compromise its capabilities and handling. Hopefully someone here has an answer, but it looks like I'm going to have to settle for a GS minus the "A".

·
Cat Herder
1,516 Posts
Look into a 650 or 800GS... I don't understand why folks want a GSA and then lower it. It defeats the whole purpose of the bike. If you plan to ride it in the dirt, higher is better. The last thing you want to do is hit a big rock or log.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tvguy said:
Look into a 650 or 800GS... I don't understand why folks want a GSA and then lower it. It defeats the whole purpose of the bike. If you plan to ride it in the dirt, higher is better. The last thing you want to do is hit a big rock or log.
Well...................let's see. Maybe it's because folks want the features of a GSA but would like to be able to come to a stop without falling over.

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
I don't know.. But, Im 5'5 & 3/4" with a 28" inseam & I ride a 2010 GSA. I slide of to the left side & put my left foot down with my right foot on the rear brake. The hard part for me is getting the side stand up & down . I am on the very tips of my toes ( like a ballerina ) when the bike is standing strait up & down. I have to lean right & get on my right foot on the ground good to get the side stand up or down. I have to get the bike picked up then get it to lean to the right then back over to the left... On the very tips...As long as I can pick the spot I do it at ,..Im OK, But if it is on a hill in some gravel...I be in trouble :wave

·
Registered
418 Posts
5'7" w / 29" inseam // 2009 GSA
Replaced stock GSA shocks w/GS (not GSA) Ohlins at 5000 miles.
Sargent seat.

Pictures of bike: Entry #123 (half way down page 3)
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26917&page=3&pp=50

Not flat footing, but rode 14,000 miles with this configuration.
Works for me.
Minor problem: GSA side stand is slightly long for a lowered bike.
Easy day.
Just make sure the left side is always slightly lower than the right when parking.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Just get a GS unless you need the larger tank, and a lower seat

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll take a look at them and give them a try!

Regards,

·
Cat Herder
1,516 Posts
Patric said:
I don't know.. But, Im 5'5 & 3/4" with a 28" inseam & I ride a 2010 GSA. I slide of to the left side & put my left foot down with my right foot on the rear brake. :wave

+1...

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My local dealer (Iron Horse in Tucson) had me try sitting on a GSA after they put a low GS seat on for me. I was pleasantly surprised in that I had absolutely no problem flat footing both feet. The was while wearing tennis shoes too! The bike was in comfort mode but it showed me that The GSA will work out fine if I install a low GS seat.

The side stand IS short on the GSA. I see why some comments were made about being hard to lift up off the side stand. I didn't have a problem though and with it being a hundred or so pounds lighter than my RT it felt quite light.

Regards,

·
Registered
72 Posts
You guys are getting me motivated that I might be able to pull of a GSA. :dance:

·
Registered
21 Posts
The GSA is too tall (and heavy) for me to be comfortable (5'8", 29" inseam, 175 pounds).
I have a regular GS but added Hepco Becker crash bars, PIAA lights mounted on them, and a Sargent low seat. I have the GSA hard cases on my GS (easy to do). My bike probably cost about as much as a GSA with the farkles but fits me better.

My '09 GS is 40-60 pounds lighter than a GSA but looks like one pretty much.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
May I recommend the F650 GS instead?

I think it's an amazing motorcycle... perhaps one of the best ever built by anyone - anywhere, at any time.

If I didn't already own a $500.00 KLR that will NOT die it would be in my stall in a hearbeat. Even for $12K more. :thumb:

Get Jim to give the keys for a couple of hours... ;)

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RonKMiller said:
May I recommend the F650 GS instead?

I think it's an amazing motorcycle... perhaps one of the best ever built by anyone - anywhere, at any time.

If I didn't already own a $500.00 KLR that will NOT die it would be in my stall in a hearbeat. Even for $12K more. :thumb:

Get Jim to give the keys for a couple of hours... ;)
Ron,

I have been giving the F650GS a lot of thought or maybe the Sertao. I don't want to give up the RT but want to add something for easy dirt riding. I am thinking the GSA may be too big a beast for what I am looking for.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
cessna said:
Ron,

I have been giving the F650GS a lot of thought or maybe the Sertao. I don't want to give up the RT but want to add something for easy dirt riding. I am thinking the GSA may be too big a beast for what I am looking for.

Regards,
If you're really planning on dirt riding, I would encourage you to consider something in the 650-800 size (i.e. KLR 650, BMW F650, BMW 800 GS, or my favorite, Suzuki DR 650). The first time you drop that 1200 GS (and you WILL drop it if you're doing any dirt riding at all), and have to pick it up while standing ankle deep in the mud on the side of a hill...you'll know why I'm making this recommendation. In those conditions, 200 lbs lighter makes a BIG difference.

While I know this is a BMW site and the 1200 GS has certainly earned all the praise it receives, if you're interested in a larger dual sport bike, the Yamaha Tenere has also been well received by the motorcycle mags. I checked one out at the Seattle motorcycle show in December...very impressive.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Sargent seat- Their standard one is lower than BMW, but they also make a lower version.

GS Shocks.

GSA is NOT a good woods/dirt bike. It is a good dirt road bike. Too heavy and big. Do what another recommended- get a dirt dual sport - KTM 690, 990, KLR, Suzuki etc. Or even the BMW 650. But then, I would not want to take a long road trip on these.

Everything is a trade off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts