BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am new to this site, and want to intoduce a Kickshifter (heel/toe shifter) to the K1200 crowd. I use this shifter on my own bike (GL1800) and recently a friend of mine bought a new K1200 LT. He saw my shifter on my own bike, and asked me if this could be made to fit the K1200 LT. Well, we spent one afternoon working on the project, and when we finished, we had a winner!
I have pictures of the unit on the K1200 LT, but do not know how to post on this board. If you have interest, contact me and I will send picture and pricing to your email address.
The Kickshifter will be contructed of stainless steel and takes but a few minutes to install. Please write if you have interest.
Thanks,
Buckskin

·
Registered
235 Posts
heel toe shifter

man i'm really surprized that bmw doesn't make that as an add on. that's what the cops use to keep their boot toes shiny. if the factory doesn't make it, then patient it. you could make a killing. omurphy

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
omurphy said:
man i'm really surprized that bmw doesn't make that as an add on. that's what the cops use to keep their boot toes shiny. if the factory doesn't make it, then patient it. you could make a killing. omurphy
I rode my son in law's Harley for a while before I got my first LT, absolutely HATED the heel shifter! I finally removed it. Put it back on when he shipped his bike to Hawaii. If BMW ever put one on an LT, I hope they make it removable! Yes, there will be a few that would like it, but a huge minority I would imagine. Not likely to make a "killing" on them for LTs.

There was another one that someone made up a couple years ago, needed it to continue riding, and although not real pretty was imminently functional. So yes, there are some that actually NEED it, not just want it.

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=K1200LT&Number=154703

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I designed one, and drew it up. I made a prototype, but then the project stalled because of lack of interest on the forum. I presented the question on the old forum and got maybe 5 others that were interested. I was surprised at the low interest level myself. But most people have never had a heel shifter, so they don't know what they're missing. Either that, or they've only experienced a poorly-designed one...like David did. IF designed and/or adjusted correctly, you shouldn't even know that it's there.

I'd put a well-designed heel shifter in the same category as our electric windshield. Once you have it and are used to it...you don't know what you'd do without it. Obviously, I have leaned to adapt. :(

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
messenger13 said:
--------- Either that, or they've only experienced a poorly-designed one...like David did.
Poorly designed? It was a Harley one!

Oh, never mind. :D :D

·
Registered
719 Posts
i have a heal toe shifted on my intruder, its there, i never got used to using it,would never miss it if it was gone

·
Registered
10 Posts
i would love to have

After coming from a r1200cl and before that a long list of honda and yamaha motorcycles. I would love to have the heel/toe shifter option. I find the shifter on the k1200lt to be a little small. I would rather have the option for different shifters.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
messenger13 said:
IF designed and/or adjusted correctly, you shouldn't even know that it's there.

I'd put a well-designed heel shifter in the same category as our electric windshield. Once you have it and are used to it...you don't know what you'd do without it. Obviously, I have leaned to adapt. :(
I have to agree with you Joe. I had one on my '86 FLHT and rode it for many years and still miss that feature. Like Joe...obviously I've adapted. It is so much easier to use and convenient for shifting. Those that don't like it...what can I say...you don't like it!

I doubt seriously that anyone making this product will get rich off it, but it would be nice to have the option for those of us that like the concept.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
The thing I appreciated about the heel shifter that I had, was that I was able to slide my foot back and actually use my toes to upshift. When riding aggresively, I found this a much more natural way to obtain positive shifts. 1 down in front, 5 down on the heel shifter. And "down" is a much better way to shift, I don't care who you are.

Of course, the fragility of the LT's shifter linkage has yet to be mentioned here. This too is part of the reason that I abondoned the project. People start braking their linkage and they are very prone to point the finger at your fancy-schmancy toe/heel shifter. A little food for thought, for those considering this endeavor. I am a heavy-footed shifter (I suppose) and I've managed to break this linkage twice already. That's why I carry spare parts. :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
My Goldwing has one...I love it. But I'm kinda use to toe only now since I mainly ride the KLT and Concours...I'd think about getting one.

But I'd worry that using the heel would put too much strain on the already fragile shifter linkage.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm in the "count me in category". Have used heel and tow shifter with several HDs and love it. Interested in seeing what you have developed for the LT. Please send pics and pricing to [email protected] (temporary mobile email while traveling).

Joe,
Thanks for sharing your insight and experience with this topic.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've had bikes with a heel/toe shifter and without and always enjoyed having the option of the heel shifter. I am interested in what you have to offer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
heel/toe

I added a heel toe to my V Star last year and prefer it over the standard shifter. In fact, my first time on a, LT I was shocked that it did not have a heel toe. It is like most accessories, whatever you get used to. I would be interested in seeing what you have developed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Response to comments on Kickshifter

I have been out of town for a few days, and glad to sse some comments on this idea of mine. No, I don't plan on making any killing on this little item, but it's fun to help some that would like to have this option.
First off, it has been mounted on a friends bike and he has a size thirteen (13) boot. and when I first mentioned this to him after looking at his bike and thinking, hey, I can make this fit on this bike, he was not interested. A couple of weeks later, he called me and asked some question, and then decided to mount it. It requires two holes to be drilled into the side cover. If you ever decide to remove it, just remove the mount plate and reinstall the button head bolts (they will look like they belong there). For those that have used heel/toe shifter on Harleys, they are, in my mind quite different. The hee/toe on the Harley is spaced far apart and you have to move your foot around somewhat. This unit will allow you to shift in the confentional way, or use the heel with little movement on the footpedal. The idea of the small area around the shifter with a thick sole large boot makes for placing the boot in a tight area. With the kickshifter, your always on the top and shifting down (never put your toe under the pedal). As for breaking the shifter, I can't imagine this shifter being able to to that. The way it shifts, it has a limited movement area, and it applys probably less pressure on the shifter than slaming it down during downshifts and you still do that with this one. On the upshifts, it is limited on the amount of travel, so the likely event of over travel is impossible. There are those that will never have interest in a heel/toe shifter, but for those that have used them (it may take a day to get used to it for some) you will wonder why you didn't have one before.
I will be try to get production going soon. I have a list I am taking serious inquires on this shifter, and if you want on it, just write and let me know.
Thanks
Buck

1 - 20 of 49 Posts