BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

Has anyone changed out there seat support strut for a heavier duty model. I have a daylong saddle and a GG back rest attached to it and the standard shock is not strong enough to support it.
One complication I am finding in my search is the eye attachment point at one end and ball attachment at the other, most come with ball sockets at both ends
When I use a luggage scale to lift seat it comes in at 8-10 LBs to lift, I have to disconnect shock and recheck weight.

3 questions

What strength shock would be recommended over lift weight, Opinions please on getting 10lb-15lb or 20 lb ot more lift
When seat up, 10 inches long centre to centre of mounting points, When seat down, collapsed stock length is 7 1/4 inches (centre of eye to centre of ball stud), My question, does the strut have to collapse all the way or can it be left out a little. found a 6 3/4 collapsed length shock
Has anyone found a location to buy a replacement heavy duty strut

Thx in advance Darcy

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,911 Posts
No I haven't but I have made a seat support strut "lock". It is a length of CPVC 3/4" pipe cut to 3.75 " in length. Then slotted on the side (for easy install, just snap over the rod). It slides down the strut body and is out of the way. To lock it just raise the seat and slide it up and over the top of the strut body.

CPVC Not PVC

It will even hold a heavy Corbin, not that I have one mind you.

Attachments

Reactions: saddleman

·
Premium Member
7,543 Posts
I would like to find the same thing. My strut was barely holding up my stock 07 seat after I installed a BeadRider and Airhawk cushion. I suspect once I get my RDL seat back, it will really be deficient. Please post here if you find something. I most likely will use the CPVC pipe that John uses. Though I may upgrade mine with black paint to look a little less ghetto. >:)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The PVC pipe works great
I have one question though, on your bike when you put seat on the low position, do you feel some resistance just before your seat latches. I literally have to push down my seat to latch.
I feel it is pushing against gas tank, not enough clearance
Only difference is I did not make the length wise cut you did, I removed shock and slid it over. Your cut may allow collapsing of the tube to allow easier closing.

Let me know what yours does please

·
Premium Member
7,543 Posts
The PVC pipe works great
I have one question though, on your bike when you put seat on the low position, do you feel some resistance just before your seat latches. I literally have to push down my seat to latch.
I feel it is pushing against gas tank, not enough clearance
Only difference is I did not make the length wise cut you did, I removed shock and slid it over. Your cut may allow collapsing of the tube to allow easier closing.

Let me know what yours does please
Is the PVC possibly a little too long? I am not sure what length John used or what is best, but I can see it binding if it is too long.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,911 Posts
He sent me a PM and I answered it. But mine is fine in the low position and the PVC is actually shorter than the strut body. It could be the different tupperware and seat adjuster on the 99-2004 models that is the issue. The slit does not allow it to compress at all since it is already a close fit on the strut body.

OK I forgot you have an 05. So I measured the OD of my tubing and it is 0.861 ". If yours is larger that could be an issue.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He sent me a PM and I answered it. But mine is fine in the low position and the PVC is actually shorter than the strut body. It could be the different tupperware and seat adjuster on the 99-2004 models that is the issue. The slit does not allow it to compress at all since it is already a close fit on the strut body.

OK I forgot you have an 05. So I measured the OD of my tubing and it is 0.861 ". If yours is larger that could be an issue.
Thanks for checking your seat, made me look a little farther
It is the Tupperware that is causing the main issue latching issue, on the high seat setting it is fine on the low seat setting the 2002 seat hits tupperware right where quarter panel and side panel join, just forward of screw. only solution is to cut tupperware, not going to happen, or modify seat
I thought the 2002 seat would transfer but it does not. I know the 2005 seat does not fit the 2002. bit of a pain with a custom daylong seat on the line.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,911 Posts
Try www.mcmaster.com and run a search for gas springs. All types, materials, sizes, pressures can be had there
You know I did that today as I get a lot of stuff from them but they do not have an exact match for the ends and the closest one, that you would have to mod, was only a few dollars less than the stock BMW which is an exact fit. But I am still using my CPVC mod.

The OEM that makes them for BMW wants 44 Euros and there are some on e-bay for 33.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts