BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how much of the tupperware do I have to remove to find the end of the heater wire from the seat so I can remove seat

thanks in advance

·
Registered
37 Posts
To remove the front seat you have to remove the left side upper tupperware. For some reason BMW routed the wire up along the inside of that instead of going directly to the plug. ODHawk and I just went thru this removing his front seat.

Tom

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Tom how long did It take you to remove this is it a big job

·
Registered
37 Posts
The longest part is removing all the screws. With 2 of us doing it probably 20 mins. Needless to say, the wire will not be routed that way again.

Tom

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
With lots of patience and normal sized fingers you can unplug the seat without taking out any Tupperware. 10 minutes spent bitching at the smart-ass who designed the plug vs. 30 minutes spent removing the Tupperware and bitching because you have to remove the Tupperware: Your choice!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Gillies
where will I find the end of the wire is it near the battery

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
strongman said:
Hi Gillies
where will I find the end of the wire is it near the battery
You need to disconnect the wire at the white connector located on the left side of the bike. It makes it easier to cut some of the wire ties first and then fumble with the connector. Unfortunately the BMW engineers decided to install the connector backward, so the piece you want to disconnect is partially covered under the left panel of the bike.
Sorry I don't have a picture with me that I can post. It would explain quite simple what I am trying to say with so many words...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for that I will have a look tonight when I go home I would rather do that than take off the tupperware if you find a picture that you could post that would be very handy
thanks for the info

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
This really doesn't have to be more than a ten minute job
as it it is only necessary to remove two screws at the rear of the tupperware,
the tupperware is flexible enough to "wedge" a maglight flashlight in there,
then with long needlenose pliers grab and pull the zipties loose, done!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
1st pic: I left the heated seat connector loose from its bracket

2nd pic: This is the "backward" bracket for the connector

3rd pic: As Hans indicated, remove the top screw from the left side panel near the connector bracket

4th pic: un-snap the knee pad from the left side of the bike, and place on object in the gap as in Hans picture

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks so much Hans and Gilles you have made the job very easy much appreciated

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hans & Gilles,

Thanks for the pictures. I too need to get to the plug as I purchased a heated riders seat today. I had all of the tupperware off for the first time last week but at that time I had not bought the seat and didn't even think about locating the plug. I sure learned a lot and managed to get everything back together without even breaking anything. :D

Sean

1 - 12 of 12 Posts