BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Heated seat vertical adjuster question

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  JnKDad 
#1 ·
Hi all,

The previous owner gave me the original standard seat along with the BMW heated seat installed on the bike when I bought it a few weeks ago ('99 K1200LT). I see that the heated seat does not have the veritcal seat adjuster on it, but the un-heated seat does. What's puzzling is the standard seat has a slot in the bottom for the "disc" that's welded on the seat adjuster (part 9 in the diagram) but the heated seat does not have the slot.

The heated seat is a BMW part number (see attached), but I can't find any seat adjuster part number without the "disc". Anyone know what's up here? Is there a heated seat adjuster part number for the heated seat without the disc on it or should I just cut the disc off with my Dremel tool??

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I think that the issue is not so much 'heated' versus 'non-heated' but rather it's 'old' versus 'new.' There is a similar thread about this issue found here:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4718

Take a look at the thumbnail photo of the two seat adjusters. you find that pre- and post-2003 are slightly different--especially the length and the placement of the anti-wobble disk.

#5 ·
JnKDad said:
...... or should I just cut the disc off with my Dremel tool? Thanks!

I just re-read your original post. NO! Don't cut off the disc. It's there to keep the seat from moving laterally when in the raised position. Removal of the disc will allow the seat to move side-to-side which, if you think about it, is not really a good thing when going around a curve. As the post above notes.....make allowances in the seat by cutting a notch. You need it!

#8 ·
I hesitate to be contradictory to the location of the heating elements for the heated seat, but there is, at least on the pillon seat, where the cable comes and the cable runs along the bottom of the plastic seat pan.

I cannot confirm or deny on the drivers seat, but be warned that the cable for the pillon seat does run across the bottom of the seat pan

#9 ·
pauleknight said:
I hesitate to be contradictory to the location of the heating elements for the heated seat, but there is, at least on the pillon seat, where the cable comes and the cable runs along the bottom of the plastic seat pan.

I cannot confirm or deny on the drivers seat, but be warned that the cable for the pillon seat does run across the bottom of the seat pan
Based on that then proceed with caution. Using a dremel tool you should be able to control the cut and just barely penetrate the seat pan material without damaging the wires (if they are there on the drivers seat). Thanks, pauleknight, for the info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.