BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying a heated jacket liner or a heated vest. Does anyone have any suggestions or preference [for riding an LT]. A riding buddy of mine suggested the jacket liner due to the arms getting colder on the LT.

It would be great to hear your preference and your manufacturer of choice.

Glenn

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
You're buying it for warmth, right? The extra price difference for the sleeves is minor in comparison to the additional warmth. Go for the jacket, IMHO.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
pickerbiker said:
You're buying it for warmth, right? The extra price difference for the sleeves is minor in comparison to the additional warmth. Go for the jacket, IMHO.
100% agree. There are times I'd like to be able turn off heat to the chest and back, leaving heat to the arms. That's not possible (with the Gerbin's products), and since my arms are where I want the heat, I want the jacket liner not the vest. I can always adjust airflow to the jacket by opening a zipper or a vent.

Regarding the question of manufacturer: I have the Gerbing's jacket liner, gloves, and socks, and I'm satisfied with all of them. The good news is you have more choices than you used to - Gerbing's, Widder, Tourmaster, and others I can't remember. They all seem to be priced about the same, though.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Get the heated jacket liner. I have ridden at 30 degrees and did not have any idea it was that cold. I felt as warm as being inside a heated car. Jacket liner wins hands down....

·
Registered
607 Posts
I think Widder is out of business.

http://www.widder.com/

Having said that, I have two "used only once" vests with power cords. I will have to look up the exact sizes.

One his, one hers.

PM me if you are interested. I will let them go for $35 each, includes the respective power cord.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
96 Posts
Go with the jacket. Should you decide on gloves later you can easily connect them at the sleeve cuffs. If you want your arms to stay warm, get the jacket.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Go for the jacket, not just because of the sleeves,
the high collar makes a lot of difference also.

My wife occasionally wears her (Gerbing) under her mesh jacket
(no heat) for those cool mornings and evenings.

When you do buy the jacket get it a little on the long side,
the cold tends to creep up at your lower back.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Yes, the jacket is the one. I have a very nice heated inflatable vest, there have been a few times in very cold rides that I wished for warmer arms. (wish did not come true) You might also want to consider the thermostat version instead of the full on and off type, for more control

·
Registered
426 Posts
Jacket. I often wear my gerbings under my summer mesh/solid jacket in the spring and fall and under my all season 3/4 length during the winter. For the minor extra cost, get the full jacket. Once you go heat, you wont go back. I have ridden in 10 degree weather on a GS with slacks and a long sleeve polo type shirt on under my jacket and overpants with full gerbings and was comfortable. Heat is where it is at.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Vest. Aerostich AIRVANTAGE.
http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-suits/kanetsu-electrics/aerostich-kanetsu-airvantage-electric-vest.html

The air bladder puts the coils right next to your body and is MUCH warmer than traditional vests and jackets. (of which I've had both) The inside of the vest is fleece as well, so even just having the air compartments inflated creates an envelope of warm air next to your body even without having the vest turned on.

In keeping your core warm, I've never had cold arms, even riding in 30 degree weather all day.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I don't understand. When it get's down to 30F just zip up your jacket the rest of the way. :histerica But seriously, a thin windproof ski mask used as a helmet liner and covered with a fleece neck gaiter will make a lot of difference in your comfort level at lower temps. When it goes below 20F you can turn on the seat and grip heaters. :D

John

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have the aerostich darien with the electric liner for cold. All I wear underneath is a tee shirt. I turn up the liner and just enjoy the ride. Example - yesterday it was 38 in my home town and i went on a little 75 mile ride. I actually turnedthe liner control down as I was getting too hot. lectric liners are great!!!!! Vest don't cover enough

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have had a Gerbing jacket liner for over 8 years, and it works as good as the day I got it. I'm sure Gerbing and everybody else have advanced their product over the years, but I am still very happy with mine.

·
Cat Herder
1,441 Posts
+1 for the Gerbing Jacket with a dual controller (in case you ever buy heated gloves or pants)

I ride with the Grebing and a t-shirt all winter. One of the best purchases I have made.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Jacket. I have a Powerlet (100 watt I think) and my wife has a FirstGear (60 watt).

Both work great but my wife wants more heat so we went to an open house at a local BMW dealer and a Powerlet person was there and showed us a new jacket they have coming out in about 3 or 4 weeks.

I forget what it's made of (sorry) but it doesn't have the usual wires. It's 105 watts. Seemed very nice. I don't know what kind of price for this.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Jacket.
Vest left my shoulders/arms cold.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Powerlet & First Gear are made by Warm & Safe. They're a 90 watt liner, and you can buy a 65 watt size if you choose.
The Gen 4 liners are the panel/microwire design. Same heat, thinner wires
Check my site out. I have some closeouts on Gen 2 liners!!

that_guy11 said:
Jacket. I have a Powerlet (100 watt I think) and my wife has a FirstGear (60 watt).

Both work great but my wife wants more heat so we went to an open house at a local BMW dealer and a Powerlet person was there and showed us a new jacket they have coming out in about 3 or 4 weeks.

I forget what it's made of (sorry) but it doesn't have the usual wires. It's 105 watts. Seemed very nice. I don't know what kind of price for this.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
GlennM86 said:
I think Widder is out of business.

http://www.widder.com/
Their store in Ojai has been closed for over a year now...
Not sure if they are doing business elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts