BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How warm should ’05 grips feel when set at the highest setting and riding at 39 F? Faintly warm? Toasty? Hot palms?

Not sure if mine are putting out the max since I have owned this K only since April and feel that grips could be warmer now that they are needed.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
20 Minute commute

DaveDragon said:
My 2002 takes about 15-20 minutes to get to full heat at the grips.
Nice & toasty through gloves.
Thanks for the quick response. My commute today was 10 miles so that didn't leave me with the grips on for very long to get to the point that you describe above.

I'll just be more patient and definitely take longer rides, ha ha.

Thanks....

·
Registered
311 Posts
My grips seem to heat up really fast. In about 10 minutes I feel the heat & after about 20 minutes, I have to turn them off or on low. But of course I only use them when riding at night, in the wintertime, since I am in AZ. In colder climates (Maine, New York, Minnesota) i keep them on high when the temps drop below 40 degrees. I also agree that the right grip seems to get warmer than the left grip. Pressure on the throttle may be the answer, but I am not sure!

What say you all?

·
Registered
223 Posts
With the temp at 39 degrees and wearing my RevIt winter gloves, I can pretty much keep my grips on low or off. When colder I run them at high and my hands are nice and toasty. Mine also take about 10 minutes to get to full temp. May have something to do with my gel grips and thick gloves.

I have never really noticed one side being warmer than the other, of course now that you mentioned it, I'll probably notice ;)

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm comparing my '06 here, but hopefully you will accept it... ;)

With the temps down into the 20's and (sometimes) teens this year, I've still been wearing my warmer weather gloves with silk glove liners on the commute to work. It's only about a 15 minute ride. By the time the ride is 1/2 to 2/3 over, I can feel my grips get quite warm. If I don't turn the grips to low, then they get downright hot! (it's awesome! :) )

If I wear my colder weather gloves, it doesn't seem quite so hot.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
I rode to work the other day on my 2000 LT and the temp was 32 when I started. It took them about 10 minutes to get totally warm, and then I had to turn them down to the low setting. My commute is 39 miles. In the winter I normally wear a pair of GoreTex gloves that I can add a liner to if I need additional warmth. Have never added the liner since I got the LT. The heat you feel, or don't feel, might have something to do with the gloves you wear and the type of material. I know when I wear leather gloves, it takes much longer for them to feel the warmth, but once warm, I think they stay warmer longer. jrlakin

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
GoldRush said:
Thanks for the quick response. My commute today was 10 miles so that didn't leave me with the grips on for very long to get to the point that you describe above.

I'll just be more patient and definitely take longer rides, ha ha.

Thanks....
I would think 10 miles isn't enough to get them hot enough reach max temp long enough to heat everything you have on the grips to have you switch to low. Once your hand gets cold you need extra heat to get you back to comfortable. When I ride in mid 30's even on a 100 mile run my pointer fingers (both) will generally be cold even with winter gloves that I will tuck mine under my index finger to warm them. But I have foam covers on my grips.. they delay the heat somewhat but once they are warm I think there is a pretty decent and constant transfer.

I would think that both grips would produce similar results.. I believe mine do..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts