BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my '99 K1200LT a couple of months ago and am loving the bike. Coming off of an R1100 RT & liking the change so far. When I bought the bike at the end of July, the heated grips did work...of course, I didn't need them then :D Went for a ride the other morning & could have used them, but got no heat in either position.

I did check the fuse (center fuse box...second one down) and unfortunately it is good. That is about the extent of my electrical prowess. My money is on a corroded switch or bad connection somewhere. Any other likely places to look?

It will be a few days before I have a chance to check it out...leaving in the morning for Birmingham, AL & Barber Vintage Days. Maybe I can find a manual at the swap meet :eek:

Great forum.......glad I found it!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,257 Posts
Probably missing the ground tie point some where since both are not working. If you are coming down out of Nashville on 431 instead of 65 you pass within 1 mile of my place and I'll be home all day if you want to stop in for a quick check. The connectors are up right under the steering head so access is not real easy.

Your tomorrow is different than mine I am at work today.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John,

Thank you for the response and your kind offer. I came down 22 through Shiloh, then across on 72/157 to Cullman...Oneonta, etc., so was never near your place. Nice ride even if it was mostly in the rain :) I have used 431 in the past coming across from Columbia, TN...there is a lot of nice riding in your area!

Looks like there is going to be a few electrical projects on this bike. In addition to the problem with the grips, the cruise control is starting to act up (found a thread on that tonight)...something to do in the winter :D

I have another problem which I believe I caused on this trip. I had my Garmin GPS mounted with the suction cup on top of the tank roundel (which worked fine BTW). I had routed the power wire down the groove by the oddments box lid...under the seat and out to the powerlet on the left saddlebag. In dismounting at a gas stop I kicked the powerlet adapter and broke it...cobbled it back together with a zip tie & it worked for a bit until I wiggled it and then had no power at either outlet. I suspect I caused a short and blew a fuse (hopefully). I'll check that out tomorrow...and figure out a way to hardwire the GPS :cool:

Thanks for your assistance!

Ride safe............John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts