BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally ready to buy some heated clothing as I got sick coming back from Michigan a little while ago due to getting too cold. I'm looking at Gerbings but would like to hear of alternatives. Does anybody discount Gerbings? How do the heated socks fit under boots? Am I going to need a bigger size boot? How about fit on jacket liners? How snug should they be? How about pants liners vs. heated pants? The Gerbings heated pants did not seem to have to much in the way of protection.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Tony,

I've been a satisfied customer of Pat Widder (www.widder.com) for a long, long time. I have his heated vest, chaps, and gloves all operated with a thermostat. In addition I have the Harley-Davidson (mfg. by gerbing) electrically heated socks with thermostat. Used in conjunction with heated grips and seat I can safely ride in tempertures down to fifteen degrees provided there's no ice on the road. The Widder equipment fits close to your body for maximum transfer of heat. My advise is to first put on a pair of long underwear and then put on the Widder vest and chaps followed by your other 'normal' riding gear. Oh yeah, lots of lip lube and hand lotion to prevent your skin from drying out. Hope this helps a little.

·
IBR# 366
16,563 Posts
Besides Gerbing and Widder, there's also Warm & Safe. Their clothing line is more recent, but has received good reviews. Also, their Heat-troller controller is arguably the best unit out there.

·
Registered
60 Posts
tonyn1 said:
How do the heated socks fit under boots? Am I going to need a bigger size boot?
It depends on how tightly your boots fit.
A looser fit is always better in cold weather riding.

How about fit on jacket liners? How snug should they be?
Not as snug as a heated vest. The way they transfer warmth is a little different. More effective. I'm finishing a review of the Gerbing heated jacket liner that should be ready soon.

How about pants liners vs. heated pants? The Gerbings heated pants did not seem to have to much in the way of protection.
I felt the same way. But pant liners are probably also more effective at keeping your warm. On the other hand, heated pants may be more convenient.

Bruno
Montreal, Canada
Gerbing G3 heated glove review
http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides/product_evals/gerbing/g3-gloves.htm
:

·
Registered
60 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts