BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have soft touch seating, with heated for and aft seats...I looked for a tell tale wire or something to confirm I do or do not have heated back rest - nothing conclusive.

Is there any way I can tell, checked my owners manual and it say's back rest heating automatically turns off at 50C. I started it up turned on the heated rear seat, and when you want something to feel warmer it did.....it was not as warm as the seat though.

Soooo can someone help me out here....before Ken Meese rips apart his garage looking for a heated seat that I may not need (hope you read this Ken)

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
The wire is a bit hard to see. It requires removing pieces inside the trunk. It's been a while but I think it can be seen if you remove the mirror/storage pocket or maybe it was the left rear speaker.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took the back rest off, now I need to figure out why it does not work. There is a wire leadin from the left speaker housing to the back rest

Is this fused, or any reason why it does not work?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
If you have a volt meter check for 12 volts at the connector. Also, you can check for resistance across the heating element in the backrest. No reading would indicate a break in the heating element or a bad connection. A reading of zero ohms would indicate a short but I believe the backrest is powered from the same source and switch as the passenger seat so if one works the other should as well.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did some more work, found the connection, power good, I actually think it was disconnected, it fell apart as i touched it....seems to work now. Thanks all

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
Glad you got it working, Don.

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
Dayle says she can't feel the heat coming from her backrest, even though we've confirmed it's working. Our jackets have pretty sturdy back protectors which insulate very well. Safety over comfort, in this case.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You know, i asked my wife too, she has not noticed the heated Back rest, we both have jackets with spine armour...so, I have no idea why I thought I needed it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts