BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
If you remove the speaker housings you can see right through the grill... I will take a photo tomorrow during the day.
Looking up through the right front grill you can see daylight.

Looking down through the right side speaker grill... plenty of open space.

Plenty of open space on the left side, too.

It might be difficult to see the amount of space up there with the speaker boxes removed, but there is a lot of space!

Not easy to photograph, but plenty of air flow through the open speaker grill covers...

I hope these photos help illustrate how air can flow through while riding.

·
Premium Member
7,688 Posts
I see a lot of comments about Mic-o-pegs and j-pegs and repositioning my feet to move my legs out of the heat exhaust from the radiators. I appreciate the comments and suggestions, but my concerns are the heat build up on my legs while they are on the stock foot pegs.
I have both Jpegs and MOP on my bike and I do see a difference in the heat from the engine while I am using them, but, we all know most of our riding involves using the stock foot pegs unless you are on a long trip. I was just hoping there might be a solution to reducing the heat flow from hitting my lower legs while using the stock foot pegs.
I am going to try experimenting with some clear lexan and see if I can maybe make some aesthetically pleasing extensions to push the hot air out just a bit more to get past me legs while riding.
I have not had a problem with heat on my legs while riding and I’ve ridden several times above 100 F. I have only the stock pegs and I ride with my legs lightly against the knee pads on the side of the fairings. I have to splay my knees outward quite a bit to begin to feel the air coming out of the radiator grills. The only time I feel heat from the engine is when sitting at a light or riding very slowly with a crosswind. That will blow the hot air from the upwind radiator onto my legs, but that is only an issue below about 20 MPH. At normal cruising speeds, I have always been very impressed with the radiator heat management of the LT fairing.

Are you very heavy and/or do you ride with your knees splayed out away from the knee pads? I was close to 240 on my last couple of long trips and had no issues. I’m now under 200 so I expect things to only be better this riding season. 😁

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I am a big boy and my knees do not ride up against the knee pads. I guess that may be the issue, the way I sit on the bike. I can squeeze my knees in and it does help keep the heat off my legs but it becomes tiresome really quickly.

·
Premium Member
7,688 Posts
I am a big boy and my knees do not ride up against the knee pads. I guess that may be the issue, the way I sit on the bike. I can squeeze my knees in and it does help keep the heat off my legs but it becomes tiresome really quickly.
I was thinking that a might be the case just given the physics involved. The LT fairing does a nice job of directing the radiator heat out away from the bike, but you can only do so much with aerodynamics. I can stick my knees out and feel the heat, but I have to get a good 12” away from the knee pads to get into the slipstream where the heat is. I’m not sure what to tell you beyond the obvious (I lost 40 lbs last year so I know what a struggle it can be) other than to try mesh riding pants if you have not already done so. I think them much more comfortable than my Sliders in warm weather. And maybe work on keeping your knees closer to the tank pads. This is also a good generally technique as it offers more stability while riding and better control when hitting wing gusts or needing to make an evasive swerve.

·
Registered
790 Posts
This whole knees in the breeze position is something you often see Harley riders adopting. I think they just like to ventilate the old meat and two veg.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Just a thought. What position do you have your seat in. Is it up or down.
If you ride with it down you might try it in the up position and see if that positions your knees a little better.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
After the discussion I decided to pay a little better attention to my riding position. I took a few photos while I was sitting on the bike. Based on the photos it doesn't look like I have my knees out that far. I did put my hand down around my calf while riding and the heat spilling off just hits the outside edge on my leg.

My knees are about 2 inches from the pad. When I pull my knees in the heat does go around my legs but as I said earlier, it becomes tiresome very quickly.

I am thinking about fabbing a clear lexan "lip" to extend the radiator exhaust outlet. Maybe that will help me out some.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts