BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked for similar topics on the forum but I did not have any luck finding anything.....

This is my issue.

My LT puts off a lot of heat from the radiator exhaust ports from the side fairings. This heat hits me in the shins and makes my legs very uncomfortable while riding in hotter outside temperatures. This effect is very desirable during colder months but during the summer its gets almost unbearable. My engine temp is reading right in the middle of the temp gauge so I do not believe the bike is overheating.
It's just that the heat coming off the radiators blowing out on my legs is a nuisance during hot days.

I have read other threads that speak about how well the LT keeps heat off the rider, but it doesn't seem like my bike does. Is there anything that I should check for on my bike to see if something is wrong?

Is there a method of keeping the hot air off our legs?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,597 Posts
Have you folded in the deflectors under the mirrors? They make a dramatic change in the air flow.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
I have looked for similar topics on the forum but I did not have any luck finding anything.....

This is my issue.

My LT puts off a lot of heat from the radiator exhaust ports from the side fairings. This heat hits me in the shins and makes my legs very uncomfortable while riding in hotter outside temperatures. This effect is very desirable during colder months but during the summer its gets almost unbearable. My engine temp is reading right in the middle of the temp gauge so I do not believe the bike is overheating.
It's just that the heat coming off the radiators blowing out on my legs is a nuisance during hot days.

I have read other threads that speak about how well the LT keeps heat off the rider, but it doesn't seem like my bike does. Is there anything that I should check for on my bike to see if something is wrong?

Is there a method of keeping the hot air off our legs?

Any help would be appreciated.
Wow! Sorry to hear that... are you wearing shorts? I wear my AirFlow suit in any weather over 60ºF. I have not noticed any heat on my legs during 80º - 90º+ F temps. My temp needle also stays right in the middle of the gauge. I removed my speakers in the front fairing along with the stereo in the stingray hoping for more airflow across the dash area. I would assume I would get more heat, too but I haven't noticed any. Hopefully, someone will have a solution for you.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Yeah that sounds strange. We get some pretty hot temperatures here in Queensland and I can't say I have ever noticed heat coming from the radiator vents on to my legs. If I put my hand in front of the vent while the fans are running I do feel some heat but not on my legs.
Are you riding legs akimbo 😁

·
Registered
155 Posts
I do feel the heat in the summer months, but if I keep my knees tucked in it pretty well keeps the heat off me. I had considered some kind of wing to pull the airflow away from the bike more. But Baker wings doesn't make anything so I didnt persue the idea.

·
Registered
2003 BMW K1200 LT (88K on 2020/08/13)
132 Posts
I feel heat from my vents when in traffic, or excessive riding and then slowing or coming to a stop when the fans come on. There have been occasions that the heat being vented is uncomfortable, but only until speed is increased and the air is blended with oncoming air, it then dissipates in it's intensity, and it only lasts for a minute or less.

Seems to me it would be a simple solution to purchase or use make shift materials to create a deflector made of a semi-stiff vinyl or plastic (like the material of an old school binder) material that could be tucked in under the leg/knee pad or adhered to the vent opening as close to the outside edge closest to the leg/knee pad to deflect the air. With a little care could look pretty custom.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yup. The heater on this bike works much better than the A/C. There's an air pocket you sit in. The deflectors direct an air flow into that pocket, but if outside air temp is high, you're just getting warm air piped onto you. I happen to like it warm, so it hasn't been much of a bother, except if I'm stuck in stopandgo traffic for a while. That engine generates a LOT of heat, and it doesn't have much other place to go.
-Dean

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,597 Posts
J-Pegs will put your legs out in the radiator airflow, that is why I don't like them. I prefer the Mic-O-Pegs as they drop your legs lower rather than outward.

Reactions: SHIfTHEAD

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
The open area where the speaker boxes were are now just vent covers which should allow air flow.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
J-Pegs will put your legs out in the radiator airflow, that is why I don't like them. I prefer the Mic-O-Pegs as they drop your legs lower rather than outward.
Hi John! Your mention of Mic-O-Pegs has me now curious... do you use them?
One more thing for creature comfort. (I am using PivotPegz which I like especially when I go offroad with the Beast.
Not far offroad, just gravel and sand when camping.)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi John! Your mention of Mic-O-Pegs has me now curious... do you use them?
One more thing for creature comfort. (I am using PivotPegz which I like especially when I go offroad with the Beast.
Not far offroad, just gravel and sand when camping.)
I'll comment on this one too, I use mine. When I'm riding for more then a couple hours I use my **** O Pegs. They lete stretch my legs downward and into the airstream below.

Reactions: kbob12

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
To solve the heat problem, I bought a 1991 K100RS 4v. That darn thing had such a well designed faring, I had to buy a 1985 K100 standard!
Naked bikes rock in the summer. Here in Alabama, with the humidity, much over 95 or so isn't comfortable on any bike.
I wear an airflow jacket and gloves in the summer, which helps too. Also, I have a short euro. screen I put on.
The '08 I ordered has extenders on it. I've never used them, though, I wonder if my legs will be too short to use them fully.
As I've gotten older, my hips sometimes cramp, so the extenders might help with that.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'll vouch for the Mike-O-Peg as well.
I get super stiff hips and knee issues fairly fast, but the peg stretch it all satisfactorily!

·
Registered
584 Posts
I've used Mic-O-Pegs for many years, and nearly 150,000 miles on the LT. I have done loads of Iron Butts, and without the M O Ps, I couldn't have done those miles. It gives me a great new alternate position. I tried J pegs, and put my legs in an uncomfortable position. Everyone has to fine what works for them-perhaps you can find someone close by who might let you try out their bike/pegs.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I'll vouch for the Mike-O-Peg as well.
I get super stiff hips and knee issues fairly fast, but the peg stretch it all satisfactorily!
What height setting do you have your seat at. When I first got my bike I always had the seat at it's lowest setting and I was always suffering from cramped hips. I decided to try the seat on it's high setting and I have never had an issue with cramps again. I recently spent 12 hours in the saddle and when I got home that night I got off the bike feeling fresh and pain free.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I see a lot of comments about Mic-o-pegs and j-pegs and repositioning my feet to move my legs out of the heat exhaust from the radiators. I appreciate the comments and suggestions, but my concerns are the heat build up on my legs while they are on the stock foot pegs.
I have both Jpegs and MOP on my bike and I do see a difference in the heat from the engine while I am using them, but, we all know most of our riding involves using the stock foot pegs unless you are on a long trip. I was just hoping there might be a solution to reducing the heat flow from hitting my lower legs while using the stock foot pegs.
I am going to try experimenting with some clear lexan and see if I can maybe make some aesthetically pleasing extensions to push the hot air out just a bit more to get past me legs while riding.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The open area where the speaker boxes were are now just vent covers which should allow air flow.
Hmmm. So, I am looking at my LT and I guess I can’t figure out how the airflow would come THROUGH the speaker area. I thought that area is fully enclosed and I can’t see how ram air would get in there. I’m probably just not seeing it. But, if you say it is working for you, then the air is coming from somewhere.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Hmmm. So, I am looking at my LT and I guess I can’t figure out how the airflow would come THROUGH the speaker area. I thought that area is fully enclosed and I can’t see how ram air would get in there. I’m probably just not seeing it. But, if you say it is working for you, then the air is coming from somewhere.
If you remove the speaker housings you can see right through the grill... I will take a photo tomorrow during the day.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts