BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a recent observation. My experience.
1st set of tires: Me 880's [email protected] 3200 miles (mileage @ purchase)
2nd set of tires: BT020's (radial) No headshake !
3rd set of tires: " " Terrible headshake from day one. (mounted by a diff. person)
Replaced only the front tire. BT020 (radial) No headshake.
It ain't the rear tire boys!

Doc

·
Registered
225 Posts
fixed?

BMW just called me to say they fixed the shake on my 06'. I'll be on my way to pick it up and test this out for myself and if it is fixed I'll pass along the solution for mine.

·
Registered
437 Posts
DARREN

What did they do to fix it......do you know?

Pat

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Seattle said:
BMW just called me to say they fixed the shake on my 06'. I'll be on my way to pick it up and test this out for myself and if it is fixed I'll pass along the solution for mine.
Let us know, I am getting the LOOSE steering damper replaced under warrenty and will advise the results.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The steering dampner replacement didn't fix it. for me, fyi. They replaced it even though they said it looked fine. In fact they had a plan to replace nearly the entire suspension piece by piece to figure out what the deal was. They kept the Metz 880's w/ 7400 or so miles on em cause they are still in excellent shape. I wasn't able to make it in time today to pick it up so the suspense builds as I wait for them to open tomorrow to go pick up my steed and try it out. It's been since 4/27/07 that I droppped it off and I'm having withdrawls.

I believe they replaced the front joint bearing or something like that and that finaly fixed it. I'll find out for sure and make sure I have the part numbers to pass along. It's nice that everything was covered and I didn't have to throw away any good tires. Anyway, I'll fill you in soon.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,940 Posts
My head shake was caused by an out of round Metz 880. I put a new one on 3k ago and she is still smooth as glass with the hands off 55 down to 20. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like I said, I am very convinced that it is the front tire. It may be balancing issues but, I think it is an issue with the geometry of the front end being very susceptible to problems with the front tire. If the front tire is balanced, w/o any belt alignment issues, and the tire wasn't bead stretched improperly while mounting. This is a heavy beast and the problem worsens with front tire age.

Doc

·
Registered
225 Posts
Here is a posting I recently placed on the topic.

"Hey guys/gals, well as promised I have been chasing down an answer to this violent 40 MPH deceleration wobble that many of us have experienced and I am passing along what BMW did to fix the wobble for me. I left my LT with Blue Moon Cycle BMW in Atlanta for 3 weeks while they tried different things to fix it. I applaud them for not simply blowing it off saying its the nature of the beast. After test riding it they agreed it was nothing like it should be.

My bike is now very smooth and again and I'm pretty happy. The decel shake is still there a little bit if I take my hands completely off of the bars or if I am barely touching them, but it's nothing like it was. Before I really had to hold the bars and hated how unstable and pronounced it felt on decel, it didn't feel normal, but now I can apply the smallest amount of pressure to keep things true and stable and I'm willing to settle with that. I realize that it is the nature of some big bikes to have this sensation, but in my experience this seemed rather extreme.

My 2006 LT and tires have about 8K miles on them and I'm running the Metz 880's. I suspect it would be even smoother with a new set of rubber, but again, this it once again really nice to ride, like when I first drove the LT new. Yeah I wish is were as smooth and nimble as my GS and that I could take my hands off, but it's not a GS. The LT is a big girl and demands a little respect and attention at times or she may turn on you and I'm all about giving it to her, and I'm okay with that.

Was it a complete fix? Mmmm maybe not as I wish it wasn't there at all, but it is tons better than it was and I no longer find it unsafe so I can deal with it like this. I don't ride the LT without my hands on the big girl often and since this feels resonable to me, I can live with it. I do wonder why a bike with such low mile would require this type of repair, but perhaps it's either due to the size/sensitivity of the bike or simply a bad batch of parts. It happens.

I am told that the key part they replaced that made the difference was the Lower Ball Joint, I think the part# is 31 42 7 681 040 for the new joint and 31 42 2 330 996 for the NUT.

They also replaced and tried other things before that such as the steering damper, rebalancing the tires, and other suspension related fixes, but these other attempts didn't help.

The work order says the cause of the worn lower Ball Joint going bad was the tire balance. I don't know if I really buy that or if was simply something they had to put in the order for warranty purpose. At any rate, everything was covered under warranty I'm happy to say.

For anyone with an LT experiencing what I considered to be an unreasonable and pronounced violent deceleration wobble, I hope that this helps you out. Again, Kudos to Blue Moon Cycle, I think they are the best dealer in Atlanta and I thank them for for sharing my concerns and finding an answer to my problem. Ride safely and ride often. ~darren"

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
My '03 did it for the first time this weekend. 19k miles on the front Metzler. It is a little cupped, was slowing down past 40 and the asphalt was a little rough. New tires coming up soon.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have been suffer this head shake since two tire change.
I also been change both tire and align my wheel and adjust balance.
It is not work!
It still shake and though I change my suspension's spring to hyperpro.
The condition still no change.
I think it is not cause by tire because BS->Metz->BS it happen.
My milage just 29000Km only and out of warranty now.
Who can solve this problem and it is design problem of LT?
Is change the jointer bearing mechanically helpful?
I would like your result and effect.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Hi Arthur and welcome to the crew!
Lovely place Taiwan, would like to go back for another visit and see my friend there.
A number of us are still chasing the problem with our dealers, but as yet we do not seem to agree on a single solution, as there may be several factors combining to give the end result of the head shake/wobble.
Tyres are held by most as the main issue, but as you've also written, doesn't seem to be the solution for all of us (unless we're just plain unlucky with every tyre change!!!).
Did you put the variable rate Hyperpro on the bike, or non-variable rate one?
Interested to hear as I was thinking of that for a future upgrade if my dealer (or I) still cant find the main fault.
Darren (Seattle) has had major improvement with the Lower Ball Joint. I've sent his post to my dealer to try to get some more action, but they've been quiet so far. I'll give them a couple of days to think it through.

We've had several threads running on this issue... getting confusing :confused: :rotf:

Keep in touch on this, hopefully we'll all resolve it somehow. :thumb:
regards

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi CWS,
Thanks for your kindly response for this topic. :dance:
I am very glad be here that I know this forum for long but just sign in yesterday for this incredible headshake.
My dealer try to convince me to change the low ball jointer and it cost.
I am follow the agent here in Taiwan's sale suggestion to change spring to hyperpro which it didn't improve the headshake but more Q for riding and mine is not adjustable I think (you can find it on its webpage just one suitable for KLT). ;)
I would send my bike to the dealer again which if I have solve it will post here.
You been stay in Taiwan? I work in Hsinchu and live in Kaohsiung.

Nice to be here and with my best regards,

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Replace the front tire again. This time have someone else mount and balance it at a different dealer or tire shop.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,940 Posts
KHLT,

I recommend the tires as well. I had the issue with a worn Metzeler and I replaced it with a tire that was out of round very slightly. I still had the shake. When I put the next tire on it was perfectly round and the shake is gone.

I spent 3 weeks in Tianan back in 2000, got to attend the Lantern Festival and get hit with all the fireworks - what great fun! Good luck with your bike.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Jzeiler,
Thank for advise as I have done twice change my tire and adjust my rim, Change my spring.
Some of people they suggest to add spacer 2~3mm in front damper but I think the spring could be much better.
The last I will do is change the low ball jointer that as "Seattle" "darren" suggesting. But I will make sure when my dealer do it. "31 42 7 681 040 for the new joint and 31 42 2 330 996 for the NUT."
Did you been Yanshui, Tainan joint the excite firework if the lantern festival was here. I growth up in Tainan :)
Will update the status when parts arrival. :p
I will try to talk to agent that ask them to compensation it.
Best regards,

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Hyperpro - doh!!

Sorry Arthur, had "steering damper" & "Hyperpro" invariably linked in my mind, therefore misread your post! You have the springs, not the damper...
(from their web site)...

Hyperpro CSC The Hyperpro CSC (Constant Safety Control) steering damper is a high-tech linear-type damper. Although Hyperpro is known for their ultimate ‘progressive’ speed-sensitive steering damper, we discovered that some customers still prefer a conventional damper. To be able to offer this group Hyperpro steering damper kits, we decided to expand our range. So, besides still producing speed-sensitive steering dampers, we are now also able to offer you this new linear version.
By using the latest in 3D CAD/CAM (Computer Aided Design & -Manufacturing) software and machinery, we have been able to come up with a unique damper body design. All parts are fully billet machined, using CNC machines. Where possible, high-grade aluminium alloy is used to keep weight as low as possible. The damper is fully rebuild-able, because of the modular construction.

Hyperpro RSC The Hyperpro RSC (Reactive Safety Control) damper is an evolution compared to the previous steering damper. The re-developed speed-sensitive damping features an improved adjustability and a wider adjustment range.

The safety offered by the unique HYPERPRO active design is reason enough for every bike owner to have one. However the HYPERPRO philosophy of quality engineering has resulted in a damper with a number of additional features that make it truly exceptional.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
oh, and I have a friend in Taipei who I visited for work a few years back. He took me through the National Palace Museum. It was stunning!
regards
Chris

·
Registered
48 Posts
cws said:
oh, and I have a friend in Taipei who I visited for work a few years back. He took me through the National Palace Museum. It was stunning!
regards
Chris
This Saturday I will try to solve the idle problem and wait for parts"jointer".
Can be visit other country for work and take chance to visit some place even country site is so nice and luck :p :)
regards, Arthur

1 - 20 of 46 Posts