BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running an Autocom system and am pretty happy with it, but wish for better speakers. I often see threads about folks using various headsets. How are you connecting these ? I have a real inability with soldering and can't imagine that headsets are interchangable....but I see in Riders Warehouse headsets without mention of what they fit..
What do y'all recommend ?

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I use the Shure E4C in-ear earphones, and use the Autcom connecting cable that has a jack for them to plug into.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tony
Is that a "special' cable from Autocom or do they plug into the standard cable ?

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found it !!
Autocom has a special cable to connect any earphones w/ a 3.5 mm jack......
Thanx Tony

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
That's the one! They make it in a coiled and a straight version. Coiled is a midgee bit longer, but I think the straight one has more usable length and no spring tension to pull against. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Radio Shack Titanium

Allan, I just recently did what you are asking. From a previous thread (you should be able to find it with a search) someone mentioned a 21.00 headphone from Radio Shack with titanium speakers.

Last week I purchased it and just cut the cables to the RS headset and soldered them into the Autocom cable connector (right and left) and it is a super improvement. I can actually hear AM that sounds clear and the FM is awesome. Can't believe I waited so long. If someone has another solution with a plug and play type that doesnt have to be soldered, that would be even better. It really wasn't too hard to solder the wired though.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I find that the Autocomm units are acceptable, when located properly, as the manual states. That's not too say they are best or anything like that. Just that placement is important. The closer to your ear, the better the sound. Before you upgrade, you may want to check the headphone sounds with the speakers right against your ear. IF it's still not good enough, go for an upgrade.

Me, I'd just like to find some cheapie headsets that would work with my kids' helmets.

Randy

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Rando,

I tried moving them around several times and for 3 years put up with the audio quality. I put off new speakers until several weeks ago and was amazed by the difference the titanium speakers made. Really glad I took the time to make the replacement. My ears aren't that good and that might have made a difference. Got bad tinnitus in the left. The new sound is much better for me. By the way, most of the time I wear ear plugs and the new sound still comes through.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts