BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding to the cruise in at Portland International Raceway last night and was pulled over by a Beaverton motorcycle cop and was asked to turn on my headlight. Now I understood that it was always on so I turned on the high beam and we parted our ways. I am assuming I now need to get a low beam headlight bulb. What on doe you guys recommend? I talked with the PIA guys at the rally and they recommended one I believe the called SuperBright over the Night tech. He said the night tech gives better lighting but the superbright is much whiter and is much more visible in the daytime. I ride very little in the night.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Go to ddmtuning.com and order an HID system for your low beam. EASY to install and you will get a ton more light out of it. Order a 35 Watt H7 in either 4300* Kelvin or 5000* Kelvin color.

In the meantime go to Freddy's or Bi-Mart and get the cheapest pos H7 bulb you can get.

Reach up under the headlight bucket, release the wire bail and replace the lamp. Nothing to it.

When your new HID comes in it is almost as easy. And you will have way more useable light.

Loren

·
Registered
671 Posts
x2 on the HID. I started with a 6000K 35w, (too blue and too much feedback from the road signs) went to a 5000K 35w and now have a 5000k 55w. This is the sweet spot for me. If you go with a 35w go with a bulb under 5K.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Recently installed an HID kit from VVME. I had the identical kit in my 1150RT for about four years with no problems. I personally like the 35W 6000K temp bulb ( a scandalous hint of blue, but not "tuner boy" blue). The kit cost me $58 delivered and comes with a spare bulb and power supply (because it's a car kit). No wires need to be cut and no mods other than a 23mm hole in the plastic headlight bulb cover. Good, cheap, and easy... like me.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Loren

Is this the one you refer to?
HID

35W
H7
2 bulb kit

·
Registered
912 Posts
I have a slightly similar issue where my 1200LT headlight comes on anywhere from right away to 10 second later. I was driving my crazy on the trip to Bloomsburg.

The bulb is the original on this 2007 bike and does not seem to be dim or bright, just normal when it gets around to is. I was thinking of going with getting a cheap POS bulb to see if the behavior changed. It could easily be the relay, but the bulb is easier to get at.

Any thoughts?

Bill

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Larry, you are close, but you only need a single bulb kit. The DDM 2 lamp kit requires that both high and low beam lamps are the same. On our LT's the low beam is an H7 and the high beam is an H3 so you can't just order a 2 lamp kit.

If you want to upgrade both then order a single H7 and a single H3 kit.

The color you specified is fine(*(degrees )Kelvin) is fine. It is better to order a warmer color, say 4300-4500*K than to order a hot color, greater than 5000*K. The usable light (i.e. the light the human eye can see) is reduced significantly at and over 6,000*K.

When the color goes to purple the usable light is worthless to the point that you had better install a white cane on the front fender. Or maybe some of those curb feelers that were once popular.

This is the least expensive yet most useful farkle you can add to your LT.

Loren

lkniess said:
Is this the one you refer to?
HID

35W
H7
2 bulb kit

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
This sounds like an HID lamp igniter issue. Quartz lights should be either on or off unless you have a bad wire/connector/ground. Even then it seems odd that it would start dim and then get bright on a regular basis.

As mentioned above it is really inexpensive to upgrade to a new HID system.

Loren

WildBil said:
I have a slightly similar issue where my 1200LT headlight comes on anywhere from right away to 10 second later. I was driving my crazy on the trip to Bloomsburg.

The bulb is the original on this 2007 bike and does not seem to be dim or bright, just normal when it gets around to is. I was thinking of going with getting a cheap POS bulb to see if the behavior changed. It could easily be the relay, but the bulb is easier to get at.

Any thoughts?

Bill

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
In my experience the Sylvania Silver Star is an excellent choice for the high beam and worth a few bucks more.

Something to always keep in mind when changing bulbs is to NEVER allow your greasy fingers to touch the surface of the bulb. I always just slip on a silicone mechanics glove - not latex - since it will transfer powder to the bulb surface. ... or simply grip the bulb with a piece of tissue.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so my choice is:
hid single

35W

AND ONLY $27.50 ?!?!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Thats it! Amazingly inexpensive compared to a couple years ago. Make sure to order the H7 for the low beam. Should take only a couple days as they ship out of CA.

Loren

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
wa1200lt said:
Go to ddmtuning.com and order an HID system for your low beam. EASY to install and you will get a ton more light out of it. Order a 35 Watt H7 in either 4300* Kelvin or 5000* Kelvin color.

In the meantime go to Freddy's or Bi-Mart and get the cheapest pos H7 bulb you can get.

Reach up under the headlight bucket, release the wire bail and replace the lamp. Nothing to it.

When your new HID comes in it is almost as easy. And you will have way more useable light.

Loren
WOW !!! Great simple and to the point!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I seem to to be beating this to death but if I read it correctly, It says "Full Kit Includes:
- DDM Digital Slim ballast (1)
- HID Bulbs (1)
- Life-Time Warranty

Correct?
Larry

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yup, that's all you need.

FWIW, I'd leave your highbeam alone. HID's require a good "warm-up" period and don't produce the full light until they've warmed up for ~45 seconds. Also, they don't like to be turned off and on repeatedly. I kept my highbeam a halogen light so that I could still flash my highbeams at people. :D

I don't know if a HID Highbeam makes any difference, but all the halogen highbeam does is light up the trees a little better, doesn't make any difference to what I can see on the road now. :)

·
Registered
426 Posts
cliff0529 said:
Yup, that's all you need.

FWIW, I'd leave your highbeam alone. HID's require a good "warm-up" period and don't produce the full light until they've warmed up for ~45 seconds. Also, they don't like to be turned off and on repeatedly. I kept my highbeam a halogen light so that I could still flash my highbeams at people. :D

I don't know if a HID Highbeam makes any difference, but all the halogen highbeam does is light up the trees a little better, doesn't make any difference to what I can see on the road now. :)
I agree. Had an HID high beam in my GS. Once on and warmed up, it lit the world, but for around town and semi rural areas where you have to dim often, if it was dimmed too long, the warm up period started again. Just not worth it. Now if I lived far out in the county and ran high beams a lot for long periods, I would do it.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Sit said:
I agree. Had an HID high beam in my GS. Once on and warmed up, it lit the world, but for around town and semi rural areas where you have to dim often, if it was dimmed too long, the warm up period started again. Just not worth it. Now if I lived far out in the county and ran high beams a lot for long periods, I would do it.
Well, I respectfully disagree with the two previous posts. I run DDM's hi & lo and love them. I live in an area over-populated by deer & coyotes, and believe me those hi-beams will show their eyes way down the road. If the hi-beam is cold it takes @ 10 seconds to come on, but if dimmed for a minute or less, a couple of seconds. I get flashed enough on the low beams alone, so it's not that big of a deal to have the extra light. If a line of cars are coming & I have the hi on and dim, there's usually no challenge. Every now & then I get some a-hole who wants to have a flashing war....and I always win. :)

·
Registered
426 Posts
Razmataz said:
Well, I respectfully disagree with the two previous posts. I run DDM's hi & lo and love them. I live in an area over-populated by deer & coyotes, and believe me those hi-beams will show their eyes way down the road. If the hi-beam is cold it takes @ 10 seconds to come on, but if dimmed for a minute or less, a couple of seconds. I get flashed enough on the low beams alone, so it's not that big of a deal to have the extra light. If a line of cars are coming & I have the hi on and dim, there's usually no challenge. Every now & then I get some a-hole who wants to have a flashing war....and I always win. :)
Don't see any great disconnect. Riding in the city where and semi rural area where I live, dimming he high for a line of cars and then bringing it back on for a small break, it sometimes either cooled enough to need to re-heat, or it never fully warmed up before the next car approached. Now coming down Lolo Pass at night, you betcha, the HID high beam was on all the time! Still didn't help bambi, but saved mom, oh and me.

The HID in my LT now is the hi beam from the GS, took it out before I sold it. If this system goes kaput, will most likely get a DDM set up for the both the hi and low as long as the cost is not too much. While I am there, might as well do both. Just don't want to spend the extra money now to only upgrade the high beam.

Larry, when you get your light, if you want help at all, feel free to yell. If it's straight plug and play like my VME kit, unplug old light, plug harness into ballast, ballast to new bulb and put into housing. Just need to tuck the ballast somewhere safe. The plug and play systems are nice because that is exactly what they are, no extra wires to the battery or anything. And if the darn thing acts up, just remove the HID bulb, unplug the harness from the ballast and throw in a reg bulb and you are off and running again.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hey Larry,

I'm just going to throw in my 2 cents.
You said that you don't ride much at night, and I don't blame you.
We enjoy touring in daylight, so we can enjoy the scenery.
ALL of my night riding is commuting home from work, between PDX and wilsonville.
All pretty well lighted highway.

I just don't have a need for HID. If you decide to go that route, make sure you don't modify anything to the point where you cant go back if you dont like it.

Rand.

·
Registered
114 Posts
That looks like a pretty slick setup (DDM)

What is the installation procedure? Is the wiring truly plug and play?
What modifications if any need to be made to housing?

Is the 55W too hot for the hi beam reflectors/housing?

What kindof water proofing is necessary for ballasts?

Just ordered a set and cant wait to improve the lighting on this machine.

Thanks for any input.......

Steve

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dear SIT
Thanks for the offer. I'll take you up on it if I need help! I ordered the kit yesterday and will see when it comes. I will be camping with the family at the Cove from Aug 10 to the 17.

larry

1 - 20 of 32 Posts