BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last nite I noticed that I had no low beam. I did have just a very faint light when the low beam is on. Is this normal? This makes me wonder if a bad low beam is really my problem. Thanks for any advice. BTW the bike is a 99 K1200LT.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
First, I'd make sure that the faint light isn't just your parking light. It's a little bulb at the bottom of the housing - pretty easy to locate. Is the faint light that or is it really your low beam?

If it's not your low beam then one of two things jumps to mind: bulb or power. If you are NOT running HID (thanks Raffy for keeping me from frying!) then put a multimeter on the leads to the light and make sure they are getting power. Since you are in there, I'd visually inspect the bulb.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
budzee said:
Last nite I noticed that I had no low beam. I did have just a very faint light when the low beam is on. Is this normal? This makes me wonder if a bad low beam is really my problem. Thanks for any advice. BTW the bike is a 99 K1200LT.
Your low beam is burned out, what you see is the parking light.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sometimes I think that my low beam is out because it feels like I have no headlights on at all and that I'm just driving in total darkness. But I know that the OEM lights really are working and I must have been imaging that I can't see well and thats it's not really a problem at all. Just rest assured that the lights are ok and BWM will take care of this soon!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Low Beam

If your high beam indicator is also on, you possibly have a ground issue in the light assembly. If so, there is / was info in the archives for fixing it.

Don

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had problems with my 2000 LT low beam headlight not burning. I would replace it and shortly it would go out. I thought I had a problem until I discovered that the contacts for the bulb were corroded somewhat. Cleaned the contacts and the bulb I had thought was blown lit up again and has operated since. This may be a problem with older bikes on any or all electrical contacts.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
My low beem also does not work...I have high beam and turn lights...my running light is blown..I hooked the low been upm to a 2 volt battery and got a glow....I just completed a speedometer fix....will the blown running light keep the low beem from working??

I have an 01 LT

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Holy Thread Resurrection, Batman! Six years! :D

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
hallzee said:
Holy Thread Resurrection, Batman! Six years! :D
I was busy working on the bike and did not get a chance to sign on...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts