BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On this 01 LT I just got from my brother, you have the headlight switch on the left side. It has 3 positions top-high beam, middle parking and lower I assume is low beam. Question is when I try to turn it to the lower setting it does not stay .Its like a press and release . Is this the way it suppose to work?

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
On this 01 LT I just got from my brother, you have the headlight switch on the left side. It has 3 positions top-high beam, middle parking and lower I assume is low beam. Question is when I try to turn it to the lower setting it does not stay .Its like a press and release . Is this the way it suppose to work?
Yes. Top is high, middle is low and the lower momentary is flash of the high beams to indicate passing (more common in Europe than state-side).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the prompt reply. When it is on the middle setting, the only light that is on within the headlamp assembly is almost like a flashlight bulb that is lit. The high beam is on for sure and the passing toggle works. I could attach some photos if that would help. Sorry , this is the first BMW I have owned (50 years of Honda ownership)

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,594 Posts
Your H7 low beam bulb is burned out. That little "flashlight" bulb is the parking light. If you turn the key all the way to the left, it will turn on that light and the rear parking light.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,933 Posts
That "parking light" is also on all the time the headlight is on you just don't notice it until the low beam burns out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, something else to add to the list. No wonder my brother gave it to me. Since he has the 3 Harley's in the garage. Really though the appearance of the bike is good being a 2001. Issues I have to address are: new rear tire. ABS lights flashing. I put a new battery in a week ago as it had set at his house and died. I have only ridden it around the block as the tags are expired. The brakes squealed a little and I believe that is because he lives off a dirt/rock road out in the country and they need to be addressed also. Just don't want it to be a money pit for me BTW 85K on the bike, but it did not cost me anything. Thanks to all the knowledge.

·
Registered
233 Posts
And that tiny little bulb is barely noticed yet enough to drain a battery if left on.

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
Code:
Thanks for the prompt reply. When it is on the middle setting, the only light that is on within the headlamp assembly is almost like a flashlight bulb that is lit. The high beam is on for sure and the passing toggle works. I could attach some photos if that would help. Sorry , this is the first BMW I have owned (50 years of Honda ownership)
Start the engine and check again. If you turn the key to the fork lock position, that light will go out. Just don't turn to the extreme left position or it will come back on and run your battery down.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Great price on a fun bike. But it will not be free. There are some things you need to do. If it has rubber brake lines you need to change to Spiegler teflon/braided steel covered lines. The old rubber one fail in a bad manner, the insides rot and act as a check valve and lock up your brakes. You need to do a complete round of fluid changes including the brakes. A Clymer manual will help you a lot. And now that the ABS has thrown a fault for one reason or another (low level, low battery voltage, bad sensor, bad sensor wire, seized ABS pump....) you may need to clear the fault with a trip to the dealer, a GS-911 computer reading tool or this procedure:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/30942-works-abs-2-fault-reset-long.html
If the ABS is in serious trouble, there is an outfit in Idaho that can repair that model.
https://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/
Or you can put black tape over the lights. It is a multi function device so you just can't remove it as it runs the brake lights, speedo etc. You have a bit of a project on your hands. I think trying to start it with a low battery may have caused some of this. Do some searches on this forum for help as needed and the other forum
I-BMW.com; The K1200S, K1300S, K1300R, K1300GT, K1200GT BMW motorcycle Portal, Powered by vBulletin will have a lot of information also.
Even if you put some heavy money into this bike it will be worth it due to the original price.
Places like Beemerboneyard and Euromotoelectric are great places for filters and parts before you go to the dealer.

Reactions: Majormike

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks, something else to add to the list. No wonder my brother gave it to me. Since he has the 3 Harley's in the garage. Really though the appearance of the bike is good being a 2001. Issues I have to address are: new rear tire. ABS lights flashing. I put a new battery in a week ago as it had set at his house and died. I have only ridden it around the block as the tags are expired. The brakes squealed a little and I believe that is because he lives off a dirt/rock road out in the country and they need to be addressed also. Just don't want it to be a money pit for me BTW 85K on the bike, but it did not cost me anything. Thanks to all the knowledge.
I've got an 01 with half those miles and I did many of the things mentioned so far. It's not so much a mileage as an age thing. There is a bit of an initial investment but once you finish you'll love the way your bike rides. The ABS light is probably low fluid (there are two reservoirs for the rear). The brakes do squeal, some more than others and there are a few things you can do to help it. Pay attention to the weight rating on the rear tire specifically, there are only a few tires recommended for our bike due to the weight. I'm no expert by any means but let me know if you need a hand and I'll be happy to try and help. I'm in the Saginaw, TX area so I'm not to far away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts