BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way to work this morning, decided to stop and grab a bite to eat at Micky D's. After a sausage muffin, geared back up, turned on the ignition, and the headlight came on as normal and then extinguished. Damn the luck, burned out!! Continued to work on the high beams. Got ready to head home, switched on the ignition, and the low beams came on! What the heck?

Looks like the PO installed the HID system (bright bluish light and looks like the module is tucked up inside the faring). What would cause this? Corrosion in the socket, module going, or does the LT, like my prior VTX, need occasional switch maintenance?

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Doug start with the ground wire. It is the brown wire going to the headlight. They are to become loose. If not that then the HID module may be going out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a situation with my 2K LT where the bright headlight worked and the dim did not. Had bulb changed and it worked for a short time and then went out again.

After checking closely, I believe the problem was corrosion causing a loss of contact in the dim headlight socket. I would also check for a loose ground on the dim light.

Maybe this is your problem and then maybe it is not a solution.

Hope this helps you

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I've had a HID bulb go, would not relight after I stoped. Ballast went. I pulled the unit and attached it to a 12V power supply with a HID bulb attached.

When I bought the HID set up it came with two units.

next time I have to buy a ballast I'll find a one recently made in Germany, used on eBay.

They show up from cars with crashed front ends.

Bob

·
Cat Herder
1,486 Posts
katnapinn said:
Doug start with the ground wire. It is the brown wire going to the headlight. They are to become loose. If not that then the HID module may be going out.
+1... The same thing happened to me and I thought it was the bulb. It was the ground wire and the crappy bulb holder. I had BMW put in a new one. I was under $10

DON"T PANIC... ;)

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
The common ground problem is the connector inside the headlight shell. Don[t know where the PO grounded the ballast though. If he grounded it to a brown wire outside the headlight, then this is not the common issue.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,257 Posts
I had the same issue and my HID kit had an in-line blade fuse that had gotten corroded. I don't drive at night very much but that is when I dicovered it. Cleaned the fuse and issue went away.So if your grounds are OK check for an in-linefuse.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts