BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last couple of days I've been having a bit of a weird thing going on with my headlight on my 2002 LT. When I start the bike cold the high beam dash light comes on but the headlight is on low beam and the light is not on. After riding for about 3 minutes the dash light goes off and the headlight low beam comes on. Its just a regular hologen bulb, no upgrades to HID etc.

When I turn the bike off and the headlight is warm it will come back on as normal if I restart.

Any thoughts, bulb on its way out? I'm leaving on a 2500 mile trip this Sat so am a bit concerned.

Thanks

Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
itspossible said:
Last couple of days I've been having a bit of a weird thing going on with my headlight on my 2002 LT. When I start the bike cold the high beam dash light comes on but the headlight is on low beam and the light is not on. After riding for about 3 minutes the dash light goes off and the headlight low beam comes on. Its just a regular HID bulb, no upgrade to ballasts etc.

When I turn the bike off and the headlight is warm it will come back on as normal if I restart.

Any thoughts, bulb on its way out? I'm leaving on a 2500 mile trip this Sat so am a bit concerned.

Thanks

Ron
The high beam indicator coming on is indicative of a ground problem. When the headlight loses its ground, the low beam ground will find a current path through the high beam filament which will light the high beam indicator. More than likely the ground bus / wire inside the headlight.

Good Luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so...remove the bulb in the socket and wiggle some wires?

Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
That is what I would do and then also get a new bulb to carry with if you have issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
When I start my 2005 K1200lt in the mornings the lights high and low beam stay off. The high beam indicator stays off. The windshield will not go up and down. After I drive for a few minutes they work. I have replaced the battery as it was 7 years old and still have the problem. I am thinking I either I have a relay that is weak or the new battetry is a problem. Once the bike it running it works fine. After parking it at work all day it does it when I leave but it works quicker than in the morning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
It is not the new battery. The battery tested out fine. The lights stay off longer now. I lose the cruise control, power wind shield, head lights and 2 of the 3 tail lights. Everything else seems to work. Does anyone have or know where I can get the electrical system drawings on this bike so I can see what may be causing my problem. I am thinking maybe a relay but not the start cutout one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,334 Posts
Newf said:
It is not the new battery. The battery tested out fine. The lights stay off longer now. I lose the cruise control, power wind shield, head lights and 2 of the 3 tail lights. Everything else seems to work. Does anyone have or know where I can get the electrical system drawings on this bike so I can see what may be causing my problem. I am thinking maybe a relay but not the start cutout one.
The consensus here is a 'Clymer's Manual for the BMW K1200 LT. It has the wiring diagrams that you need. Amazon plus several other places have it for about $40.
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
14,349 Posts
Newf,

Sounds like a ground issue. The LT has one cable coming from the negative terminal. It ties to a block behind the battery where all the grounds tie to. It could be the 10mm nut there is loose. Also check the positive terminal to make sure it is tight as there are several wires going to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
jzeiler said:
Newf,

Sounds like a ground issue. The LT has one cable coming from the negative terminal. It ties to a block behind the battery where all the grounds tie to. It could be the 10mm nut there is loose. Also check the positive terminal to make sure it is tight as there are several wires going to it.

I have checked both battery terminals and insured they are tight. I have checked the ground cable nut. Reading different forms on here I do not believe it is the starter bolt as from what I have read that is not an issue as much on 2005 and newer. It looks like I am going to have to strip the bike down over the winter season and do some trouble shooting. Thanks for the advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
A couple of years ago my high beam indicator came on the and headlight went out. No high or low beam. Turned out to be the ground in the headlight assembly. The ground is not very well thought out or executed. I ended up soldering a ground wire to each of the sockets to help out the factory setup.
Had remove the nose cone and headlight assembly to do it.
Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
Well after some testing and checking it turned out to be one of the relays (load shedding relay). That was mentioned here on this site by someone and I had read it a while ago. I am glad the problem is gone. Thanks for all the input.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top