BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have one on my 06 RT. Has it served it's purpose and saved my headlight assembly? No. However, the price for the shield versus the price for a headlight assembly makes it worthwhile in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I installed an Xpel protective film over my headlight several years ago and I don't even know it's there. Wasn't the easiest to install due to the compound curve of the headlight housing, but a hair dryer worked wonders to soften it up.

JayJay

·
Registered
297 Posts
Well, in 45+ years of riding I never had a headlight get hit by a rock till last year. Looked at the front one morning and the glass was dinged and cracked- :( . On my current ride '04 k12GT, the headlight is glass and is 1 piece. It is not made to replace just the lens-I tried. A new HL bucket-If you can find it in the states from BMW is $700! Bought a used one-perfect condition for $400 and it killed me.. The insurance covered the whole cost including installation and they know I did it myself-nice! So, after the proverbial barn door was closed I bought the CB shield. It mounts with 3m duolock. Off and on is simple. Probably will never get a rock there again--

·
Registered
296 Posts
The Cee Bailey one is very nice - easy off-easy on with Duo Locks. I put one on my 08 RT before a trip to Oregon a couple years ago. It now has 3 or 4 large nicks in it that likely would have blown out the stock headlight assy - yep, at $700 list.

IMHO - well worth it.

·
Cat Herder
1,585 Posts
Cee Bailey just sent me a new headlight cover today. The first one was very thick and didn't fit very well. The new one is thinner and fits great. I have used headlight covers for over 20 year and they have paid for themselves over and over again. There are a lot of flying rocks and sand out here in the desert.

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
JayJay said:
I installed an Xpel protective film over my headlight several years ago and I don't even know it's there. Wasn't the easiest to install due to the compound curve of the headlight housing, but a hair dryer worked wonders to soften it up.

JayJay
+1

I too used this one and I found it very easy to install on my K1200LT. It is invisible. pretty thick and came with a 5 year guarantee. Pretty cheap ($20.00) insurance. I wish I could get the same for my K1600!

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
A friend of mine rode his R1150RT from Madison, WI, to Labrador and back. On the way back the Cee Bailey guard on his headlight was broken by a rock. So his BMW headlight was saved by that. In his case, it was a great purchase.

I have one on my R1200RT. Hasn't been needed, but it is there just in case.

Here it is on an '05 I used to own. Now I have an '07 because that was the first year the R1200RT came out without the funny brakes.

·
Cat Herder
1,585 Posts
I have the protective film on the front of my RT. I got hit by a rock last week in Colorado and it left a nice little welt on the plastic. If it has hit the headlight with film on it instead of a Cee Bailey, it would have cracked it.

I'm sure the film helped keep the damage to a minimum but IMHO I would use a hard plastic cover on the headlight.

It really depends on your location and where you ride. Out in the desert region micro fine sand and regular sand can beat the crap out of your plastic and the leading edges of you bike or car.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
+1 on the Cee Bailey's

I put one on for my trip to Alaska a couple of years ago. I put it on for any multi day trip - you just never know - it worth the difference in cost of a new headlight!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts