BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do I need a complete light - or just 1/2 a light ... never replaced on this bike... any place to find out how to do it...

HID vs regular light ???

cost for fixing this issue ?

thanks

Capt Dave - retired

lake arrowhead CA

os - we got a foot of snow last night - and I've been riding for 2 weeks now... go figure ? !

PSS - any riding clubs going to BIG BEAR CA on weekends ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Headlight low beam is out on my 2000 K1200LT, any suggestions where to buy NEW ONE ?

I am NEW TO THIS online forum stuff - do NOT KOW how to do this or what a "thread is "

can you email your thoughts to [email protected] - or will I get a reply to my email or ?

never did this

sorry

older - retired... this is for the young guys I guess ;-)

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Re: Headlight low beam is out on my 2000 K1200LT, any suggestions where to buy NEW ONE ?

H7 from Walmart...the clip that retains it can be tricky the first time you do it...hard to explain but it is reached from under the nose cone.....no plastic other than the black bulb cover need to be removed.....no tools necessary.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sylvania-H7-Headlight/16913665

Ron

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I hope this is working... never did this before...

you seem to be an expert at this online forum stuff as well as all things K1200... honored that you took the time to help me...

is it possible to talk "rider to rider" on the phone ?

3-4 min's is all I would ask...

909 336 2232 home any afternoon or evening 11am-3pm .. after 8-10pm PST ...

I sure would like to talk. instead of type... just a min and I'd get the idea how to do this... thanks

Capt D

·
Registered
2,746 Posts

Welcome to the new world Capt D. Looks like you are doing just fine with your first post.

A thread is a topic of conversation, in this case your request for help in replacing the headlight low beam bulb.

Posts are the individual conversations contained within the thread.

When you start a thread you just need to hang on for a few minutes and someone will post a reply to your question.

You can set an option to be notified via email if someone has posted a reply to a thread you have started or have read. This works best if you get email via a smartphone. Otherwise it is just about as easy to just sign back in to the forum and check the thread you are interested in.

Soon you will be wanting to post pictures into a thread but that is a topic for another day.

One last bit of advice: NEVER EVER post your phone number in a thread on a public forum such as BMWLT.COM. There is no control over who visits the site and there are many nut cases out there who you don't want to know your number. If you need to talk to somone on the forum by phone the best thing to do is request help in a post and have them send you a private message which is a feature of this forum software. You can then call them back based on the number they give you in the pm. This way you know that only one person is seeing your phone number.

Look around the site and you should see a way to contact a site administrator. Ask them to please remove your phone number from this thread.

Again, good to see you on the forum.

Liren

·
Registered
3,525 Posts

Do you have the maintenance manual that came with the LT ?
It should show you how to change the lamp...

Having said that.. It would be a great time to upgrade to an HID...

Makes an amazing difference if you ride at night...

Don't worry about your posting ability.. You're doing just fine..

As for the stock lamp... Once you get the back cover off the headlight assembly. There is a wire bail that holds the lamp in place... Just squeeze the wires together to unlatch it from the keeper and swing the wire away... The you just remove the lamp and replace it...

Should be pretty straight forward...ANY auto parts store will have the lamp.. Hell, I have three or four laying around...

If you don't have the book, Somebody can post the page for you...

In the mean time, If you fill out your profile.. ( User CP ) Then there is a likelyhood that somebody close to you can come and show you around your new bike... Sounds like you didn't get any dealer prep... Tell us where you are located...You'll make a new friend or two..

John

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts

I've always found it very helpful to have something like a coffee table or low bench to recline on while changing the bulbs. That makes it easier to get your head and hands up under the nose. And a good source of light. Once you can see what's up there, changing the bulbs is a snap.

·
Registered
697 Posts

Another option would be to replace the low beam with HID from DDMtuning.com

Also, the pics in this thread will give you a good view of what is involved with either replacing with stock or HID system.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4217

·
Registered
3,525 Posts

I highly recommend the HID's from DDM Tuning...

I have a set on my RT and they're great...

John

·
Registered
3,525 Posts

I highly recommend the HID's from DDM Tuning...

I have a set on my RT and they're great...

John

·
Registered
80 Posts

kellenbenz said:
H7 from Walmart...the clip that retains it can be tricky the first time you do it...hard to explain but it is reached from under the nose cone.....no plastic other than the black bulb cover need to be removed.....no tools necessary.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sylvania-H7-Headlight/16913665

Ron
Is this "H7" light from Wal-Mart what you'd call an "HID" bulb. If not, then do you know a number or location to get them as replacements for an LT high and lo beams? Greg.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts

NCCCC1 said:
Is this "H7" light from Wal-Mart what you'd call an "HID" bulb. If not, then do you know a number or location to get them as replacements for an LT high and lo beams? Greg.
The designations H1, H7 etc refer to the configuration of the lamp(bulb) itself. Some are longer than others, they have different bases (different diameter, pin configurations etc).

HID is a type of lighting system that uses bulbs that are similar in configuration to the H7's, H1's, etc but are of a different internal construction. They look similar to regular tungsten or halogen lamps but they differ in a couple of functional aspects.

The "normal" bulbs that you can buy at WalMart and other stores have 12V applied to the lamp. This the voltage supplied by the battery. HID lights use a transformer and electronic circuitry to convert the battery voltage to 15,000 or 20,000 volts. Yep THOUSANDS of volts. This is then applied to the HID lamp which causes the gas(xenon) inside the lamp to glow VERY BRIGHTLY. There are other components in an HID system such as an ignitor which is used to start the gases in the bulb glowing but this is the basics.

If your lighting system does not have an ignitor and a transformer then it is not an HID system and you are getting significantly less light output. Obviously you can't interchange bulbs between systems. A halogen lamp would probably glow really brightly for a small fraction if a second when you apply 20,000 volts to it. POOF!

The HID systems are,without question, worth the price if admission. You can get a very acceptable system for less than $40 usd.

I hope this helps.

Loren

·
Registered
80 Posts

Thanks a bunch. This is great input. Is there an old thread that you know of on the subject of buying one and then doing just such a modification to the existing head lamps?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts

There are actually 540 threads that came up when I searched hid upgrade.

Try this one. It is complete with 8x10 full color glossy photos with circles and arrows. HID install

A number of us have used DDM Tuning systems with good success. They are at DDM Tuning website

This is probably the single best investment you can make for your bike.

Loren

NCCCC1 said:
Thanks a bunch. This is great input. Is there an old thread that you know of on the subject of buying one and then doing just such a modification to the existing head lamps?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts