BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed I have a tiny hole in my headlight lens, must have been from a rock or something. This hole is about the size of a pencil lead and shows the classic design of a BB shot into glass. Is this a problem? Can I seal the tiny hole with silicone or something? Replace or leave alone?

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
i would fill with an epoxy similar to what is used to fix windshield cracks. If that fails, you can always replace it. If it works, you save a house payment. :bmw:

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Sorry, that is not a good thing. :( Eventually it will get bigger or water will get in and that will be the end of the light. Try the patch you were thinking about, but I would be looking on ebay for a replacement.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Put a little clear aquarium silicone in it and ride on. If it does eventually crack, then worry about it. If not, you just saved hundreds of dollars.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
budzee said:
I just noticed I have a tiny hole in my headlight lens, must have been from a rock or something. This hole is about the size of a pencil lead and shows the classic design of a BB shot into glass. Is this a problem? Can I seal the tiny hole with silicone or something? Replace or leave alone?
I would take it to a windshield replace/repair place and have them look at it. I had a K1100LT with several cracks that they repaired. It still had visible cracks but I had no more worries about it crumbling.

Robert

·
Registered
795 Posts
It depends on if the piece of glass that chipped out us still there. If there is an actual hole any larger than a pin then windshield crack repair will not work as it is very thin and runny in order that it might slip into tiny cracks. In addition to this, it will turn yellow over time on your headlamp glass if it is used to fill any more than the smallest amount of space.

I had a BB size hole in my lamp, took the lens off and found the little chip inside, I tied to use windshield crack repair to adhere it back in place and it would not hold so I used clear epoxy. I used windshield crack repair to try to repair a crack in my lens (that I installed while trying to remove the lens :mad: ) and both the epoxy and the windshield crack repair have turned yellow-ish :( When I wash the bike or ride in a significant rain a small amount of water vapor will get in the lamp but it doesn't really impact my light output. For now I live with it, but it is starting to irritate me so maybe sooner or later I will actually do something about it.

Bottom line, windshield fix won't work, maybe silicone will, but I would think that would look like poo, but so will yellowed epoxy/windshield crack repair. Sorry to be a downer.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
copperstatetour said:
It depends on if the piece of glass that chipped out us still there. If there is an actual hole any larger than a pin then windshield crack repair will not work as it is very thin and runny in order that it might slip into tiny cracks. In addition to this, it will turn yellow over time on your headlamp glass if it is used to fill any more than the smallest amount of space.

I had a BB size hole in my lamp, took the lens off and found the little chip inside, I tied to use windshield crack repair to adhere it back in place and it would not hold so I used clear epoxy. I used windshield crack repair to try to repair a crack in my lens (that I installed while trying to remove the lens :mad: ) and both the epoxy and the windshield crack repair have turned yellow-ish :( When I wash the bike or ride in a significant rain a small amount of water vapor will get in the lamp but it doesn't really impact my light output. For now I live with it, but it is starting to irritate me so maybe sooner or later I will actually do something about it.

Bottom line, windshield fix won't work, maybe silicone will, but I would think that would look like poo, but so will yellowed epoxy/windshield crack repair. Sorry to be a downer.
The stuff I'm talking about is UV ray cured. I have had no yellowing in over 10 years.
YMMV

Robert

·
Registered
795 Posts
Scouter-50 said:
The stuff I'm talking about is UV ray cured. I have had no yellowing in over 10 years.
YMMV

Robert
That's the same stuff I used, not sure why it yellowed, the only thing I can think of is that there was too much of it filling space or the heat from the headlamp, but I would think a windshield of a car would get much hotter than a headlight. I used the stuff in that little syringe that you stick on the windshield and then it sucks the air out of the crack and pressure fills it with the resin. That stuff is pretty runny and will leak through the other side of the hole if it is too large. My lens was off so I was able to cover the backside to fill in the resin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts