BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While “going through the gears” this evening headlight dimmed all the way to completely out but would brighten to normal when getting out off the gas. Alternator? Relay? Capacitor?

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
How old is your battery. If it is in poor condition for what ever reason it could be loading down your system. Something is. Take your volt meter. hole it to your battery terminals and take a reading, now start the bike. Does it stay above 9.5 volts while cranking. Does it read 12.4 or 5 just sitting there not running? Does it read 13.8 or more at idle? these are the good readings. below this no good.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Yes, need to check wiring but still do the voltage measurements to be sure your new battery is ok. What a pain, all that work and now another hassle.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Flickering lights and headlight going out could be the load shed relay ground point through the starter. There is a single bolt that connects the starter to the transmission. The rest can be isolated by O-rings. Look here and check this bolt for tightness or even missing. If this is tight, then check other earth problems as suggested. You can see it by looking in front of the battery under the back of the tank with a good flashlight.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mine was doing that back in 2014 when I bought it. Someone else pointed me at this grounding bolt on the starter, and sure enough it was loose.

After about 3000RPM the head light would be flickering, mostly off, the dash lights and gauges would start freaking out etc. I don't recall what size the hex key was, but I cut down one short enough to get it in there. It was still a battle to get my hand in there to turn it, but it was better than the tear down that would otherwise be involved to tighten it with a normal wrench. Last year when replacing brake lines and changing the brake fluid I checked it and it is still tight.

Flickering lights and headlight going out could be the load shed relay ground point through the starter. There is a single bolt that connects the starter to the transmission. The rest can be isolated by O-rings. Look here and check this bolt for tightness or even missing. If this is tight, then check other earth problems as suggested. You can see it by looking in front of the battery under the back of the tank with a good flashlight.

Reactions: beech

·
Registered
31 Posts
Daddy told me to look for the obvious answer first. It was almost always that. So I suggest grounding issues, because you just had work done on it. Run an extra ground wire if you are testing and see if that stops it.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Dads are cool, I under rated mine for various reasons and regret it now. :frown:

Reactions: Voyager

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
You can get access to this bolt which is in front of the battery holder and down very low . . .

John Zeiler helped me years ago @ Ironhorse Cabins with a ball type allen on the end of a screw diver.

Fixed the problem and when I got home got better access to the bolt by cutting off an allen wench

In any case it is very difficult to get access to - remove battery for starters and good luck!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts