BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cruising around last night, I noticed when I first actuate either the front or rear brakes, the headlight dims/flickers then comes back. Kind of weird. Very quick, so not too concerned right off. My only hesitation is for when I start putting farkles on (GPS, HID, other lighting, etc).

The battery checks out at 12.65 volts on my meter, so I guess that leaves the actuators putting a big load on the electrical system. Rather not have the actuators pop a fuse while riding. As long as I don't hook anything up to draw from the brake circuit, I should be fine.

Any suggestions or comments?

Cheers,

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Voltage when running.

Run the bike at Idle, Measure the voltage and then actuate the brakes.
If you're getting a serious voltage drop then you may need to look further.
Maybe as simple as cleaning the battery connections. Hopefully not an alternator problem.....

I'm sure the servo system draws quite a bit of current, but that is what the battery is for...There was some kind of recall or additional info on that system as well, I believe Something about draining the battery in heavy stop and go traffic and then failing.....Someone who owns a newer model will chime in pretty soon.

Good Luck with that..

John

·
Just ridin'
5,297 Posts
browad said:
Cruising around last night, I noticed when I first actuate either the front or rear brakes, the headlight dims/flickers then comes back. Kind of weird. Very quick, so not too concerned right off. My only hesitation is for when I start putting farkles on (GPS, HID, other lighting, etc).

The battery checks out at 12.65 volts on my meter, so I guess that leaves the actuators putting a big load on the electrical system. Rather not have the actuators pop a fuse while riding. As long as I don't hook anything up to draw from the brake circuit, I should be fine.

Cheers,
It is perfectly normal. The servo actuators combined with the brake lights draw enough current to make the lights dim. You have plenty of alternator output on the LT to run most anything you throw at it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
randy said:
It is perfectly normal. The servo actuators combined with the brake lights draw enough current to make the lights dim. You have plenty of alternator output on the LT to run most anything you throw at it.
That's great. I just had horrible visions of electronic shorts while doing 85 on the highway. I planned on putting on a voltmeter anyway, so that bit of monitoring should help.

Thanks all,

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
browad said:

Cheers,
You might check the ground wire in the headlight assembly. I've seen a few go bad and actually fall off. But, not on an 06....... yet.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
223 Posts
My '05 did the same thing from day one. I dont have that problem anymore since I installed my Xenon kit from XenonDepot .

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Same symptom for my bike, '05. No problem with how it works.. miles of smiles.

I only suggest you keep a sharp eye on the "brake" warning light. If you get a "flash" while operating (after the first startup self test), get it to the dealer so they can check for a brake fault.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Dim Lights

Mine did the same thing, eventually the radio started flickering and then the bike actually died when coming to a stop. I cleaned all the grounds I could find and it was cured.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I was sitting stopped behind another car on the way home last night and let off brakes and re-applied and noticed that my lights dimmed ever so faintly. I would say that the alternator at idle is not putting out enough juice to keep up with the demands. I can't remember if I had the GPS and/or radio on. I don;t have extra lights or anything, except a hyper light brake light. I have noticed this on my other bikes in the past too. And never had any real problems, so I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless its a big difference.

In the past, while taking and later coaching ERC classes, that the stop and gop pace will cause problems with about all charging systems and cooling systems, to the point of killing batteries. Could be same in traffic, if you don;t get moving more than you are stopped.

Randy

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
rando said:
In the past, while taking and later coaching ERC classes, that the stop and gop pace will cause problems with about all charging systems and cooling systems, to the point of killing batteries. Could be same in traffic, if you don;t get moving more than you are stopped.
I have taken two ERCs on my LT. The first was in 100+ degree temps, tmgs, DaveDragon, and few others on this board can talk about that one. I ran all the lights, headlight and MotoLights, all day long and never ever had an issue with bike/battery not having enough juice to start every time I asked it to. The second was in 68 degree weather, so it doesn't count. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts