BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have a '13 R1200RT P - ex police.

Asked local BMW garage about adjusting headlight beam, for a planned trip from UK to Espanol.
Currently beam appears high on the left, as might be expected for a UK registered bike. The adjustment know on the dash appears to do nothing.

BMW service desk weren't sure - technicians would have to look at it. Manual suggests it can be adjusted.

What's likely to happen? Can they flatten the beam for riding in different countries? Is there a simple solution I can apply on the ferry...?

·
Registered
142 Posts
As I understand it, the adjustment knob is for raising or lowering the headlight beam to account for loading of the bike, ie, lower the beam if you have a passenger or extra luggage. In your case, the actual headlight pattern may be specific for the UK vs the rest of Europe to account for driving on different sides of the road.

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
322 Posts
Ok, so it's late here, and I'm going to just take a stab at this. This is on the 2014 Wethead, not the 2013 Camhead, so it may not be exactly the same for you. But this may get you close.

There are three yellow highlighted devices, two of which I'm sure about, the third, well, just "so ... so" from what I've read. Remember, these controls alter the entire assembly (how? not sure), not just a single light.
1) The white bar at bottom, is the lever for loading, to keep the lights down during heavy rear loading, and not up in on coming driver's eyes.
2) The white bar, middle left, is the adjuster for raising the entire assembly up or down.
3) The plastic hex bolt is the one for adjusting lights right to left to right. That's the one I've heard about, but haven't tried manipulating. There are other little pieces of plastic back there that could be that adjuster, but I assumed when I had this assembly off the bike to install my LED's, that the hex bolt was "it".

I suggest looking at the headlight assembly in a dealer's parts break down diagram. Most BMW dealers (USA) have the catalog displayed online (look up A&S BMW in California, for one dealer that does). You should be able to visually confirm the control from looking at the headlight assembly parts breakdown, assuming the 2013 is different from my 2018 RT. Hope this helps.

White Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Reactions: Deejie

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
So, is there a way of adjusting the beam pattern, for driving on the 'wrong' 😄 side of the road...?
I remembered reading in this forum, many years back, where somebody made a template to cover the light so that the high-left is masked. The real answer is NO you cannot make any adjustment to change that. It's in the lens.

Reactions: Scott9999

·
Registered
23 Posts
Most UK bikes don't need adjusting for driving in Europe.(other vehicles may need blanking or adjusting) Headlight patterns are pretty flat compared to lights years ago. The old lamps used to be stamped RH or LH or an arrow pointer to which side of the road the beam goes. Just looking at my 2007 it is only stamped with the small EU marks. Unlike cars, M/C has central lights whereas cars have one or more that are at a wider position.
My previse RT was a 2007 too and i tour the whole of Europe without on comers flashing me. The only time i had to concentrate was when drivers coming towards me whilst i had full beam on. If you are that worried test by blanking the beam with black electrical tape and don't wait till you get on the ferry because it will be too light and your bike will be strapped down on its side stand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, upon visiting a local BWM dealership today I was told to use electrical insulation tape to cover up the L/H 'up sweep' of the beam, when riding on the right in Europe.
I was also given this printout of headlight setting guidance for my bike, which includes adjustment guidance.
I hope this is useful for someone.
Dan

Motor vehicle Font Parallel Paper Vehicle

Motor vehicle Font Parallel Paper Vehicle
Font Parallel Paper Document Paper product

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
Ahhhh , , , ,yes, that is the same template that I remembered seeing many years back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts