BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the other day, in the dark..I noticed my headlight was pointing very high and the adjuster had no effect. So, today I looked at it....it was hard to see and hard to see what was wrong. So, I backed the adjusting knob off...until it "popped" I guess I broke something. I'm feeling particularly inept today...would one of y'all guide me in this a little? I know...it's such a little thing. If I can't deal with this what the hell am I doing with this complicated of a bike. Just humor me please. It's an off day.

·
Registered
338 Posts
You may have uncsrewed the cable by turning it in one direction. The lamp housing is spring loaded and it pulls the lamp upwards--this is the default position. The cable must be attached into the bolt it turns in--that way as you turn the knob, the cable will pull the headlight down to a desired position. It's not easy to get to and you may have to remove the front cone/nose of the bike. At least that is how I attached mine--others may chime in.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. My Clymers manual has one very brief paragraph with a picture that doesn't look like mine. I did break something near the adjusting knob. I guess I'll have to remove to fairing to find out more...tomorrow. I may actually be coordinated by then....

·
Registered
338 Posts
It may not be broken, check the the small screw on the knob...it may have released the cable it's self.. That small screw must be tight and to hold the end of the cable.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I snaked the cable out with the nose cover in place and some of the plastic on the cable is broken. I ordered a new cable from max bmw and jury rigged the light with a spacer...until the part gets here. It really doesn't translate well in writing...but there is a piece broken off the end of the cable. Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,178 Posts
lartross said:
I snaked the cable out with the nose cover in place and some of the plastic on the cable is broken. I ordered a new cable from max bmw and jury rigged the light with a spacer...until the part gets here. It really doesn't translate well in writing...but there is a piece broken off the end of the cable. Thanks for your input.
Your headlight can be adjusted by using the horizontal and vertical adjustment screws on the housing. The knob is used for minute adjustment, such as when you are loaded and the bike has its nose a bit more up in the air than usual. So not having the cable in place should not be too big of a deal. On my 05 I have the Ducati Design assembly and the cable is not used at all and is disconnected. I adjust the light aim with the screws, just like a car.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Gilles, I guess it becomes self evident...how to adjust the headlight with screws, when the nose piece is removed. My clymers says ask bmw to do the gross adj and fine tune with the adj cable. I can rarely afford to think about asking bmw to do anything....maybe 2005 is different? I did a search and found how to adjust the headlight, without the adjusting cable. Thanks Gilles

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just had mine repaired at the dealer. I thought it was just a knob issue, but they replaced everything, knob, cable & a new Xenon headlamp assembly ..It was covered under my extended warranty. Total cost was $1651.00.....they dont repair , they replace....$0.00 cost to me..if the warranty would not have covered it, i would have lived without the ability to adjust.... :dance: :...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah... I'm having problems with my '99 LT adjusting the headlight high enough. After taking everything apart, the best I can come up with is that the spring which pushes the headlight beam upward is weak. So, now I have to figure out if that part is available to fix it. I hope the spring is available separately so I'm not forced to buy an entire assembly for hundreds of dollars. I'll post what comes of my headlight aiming problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts