BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there likely to be an obvious problem or solution? I haven't taken anything apart yet, but figured I'd see if there's a common "oh it's the flugal cable" type of answer.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
The headlight adjust knob on the dash adjusts the elevation of the headlight by a very small amount. It is meant to compensate for adding/removing weight on the rear of the bike. Like when adding a pillion passenger. The actual headlight height adjustment procedure is in the Haynes or factory service manual

Loren

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
calvarez said:
Is there likely to be an obvious problem or solution? I haven't taken anything apart yet, but figured I'd see if there's a common "oh it's the flugal cable" type of answer.
IIRC, it only adjusts the low beam - and you need to turn it A LOT to have any effect.

I've never heard of this malfunctioning - yet. ;)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll try it again, but I gave it about 10 turns, all the way to the stop, and never saw the light move at all.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
calvarez said:
I'll try it again, but I gave it about 10 turns, all the way to the stop, and never saw the light move at all.
Hmmmm, ten turns should have done it.... but don't worry since it can probably be fixed with a $700.00 BMW part. :bmw:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ron, you are on a roll today. Your smart-ass quotient is 10x this morning. But yeah, unfortunately, you could be right.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have those printed out from the manual, just haven't done it yet. But no matter what, I'd expect the knob to move the light, even if it doesn't get it right without the base adjustments.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I found on mine that the nut that holds the assembly in the dash had come loose. Loosen the set screw and remove the adjuster knob. Then tighten the nut that locks the assembly to the dash, replace the adjuster knob and try it again.

·
Registered
694 Posts
BEhrler said:
I found on mine that the nut that holds the assembly in the dash had come loose. Loosen the set screw and remove the adjuster knob. Then tighten the nut that locks the assembly to the dash, replace the adjuster knob and try it again.
As I was reading this thread, I was formulating a reply. This is exacty what I had done to repair my adjuster, too. Now works fine.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll check that out first then, seems easy to do. However I think it's unlikely to be the cause since I was able to hit the stop, and I would expect this problem to cause it to spin forever? Ah well, maybe it's time for me to get under the plastics anyway.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The adjuster cable is actually two parts. The outside of the cable is actually a tube connected to the dash and the headlight adjustment mechanism. Inside of that cable is a wire that moves back and forth as you twist the adjustment knob. If the adjuster at the dash is loose both the tube and wire move back and forth rather than just the wire inside. Sounds sexual doesn't it. Oh well.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It turns out the headlight was just stuck in place. The adjuster cable pulls it in the up position, and a spring pulls it the other way. Once I reached under there and moved it manually, now it moves as it should.

The service manual instructions are wrong on the headlight adjustment. It says to use a screwdriver, which I struggled to get to fit in the cramped space. But there's no screwdriver recess on the adjuster, you just use your fingers.

·
Registered
453 Posts
RonKMiller said:
Hmmmm, ten turns should have done it.... but don't worry since it can probably be fixed with a $700.00 BMW part. :bmw:
Yeah, but it needs to be attached to another part that costs $1500 and they don't sell the $700 part separately (think trunk latch). Also, they only ship on Tuesdays to their own dealers and you have to be stuck in the middle of nowhere sitting in an overpriced motel room waiting for a wrench in a white lab coat to find the time to do the work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts