BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Just the other day my headlamp started going AWOL, well at least when I turn it on. Upon turning on the pilot light and high-beam tell-tale lamp come on but no headlight. After riding along a little the tell tale lamp darkens but doesn't go out and the head-light comes on.

I'm not electrically minded but, what should I look for?

Thanks, Martin

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
With out getting too involved, you may just a ground connection that is either corroded or loose............a little looking around for any wire in the loop that connects back to the frame would be where to start.............it's worth a look............ :cool:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll have a look and see what I can find. Should I look around or inside the headlamp?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
There is a known problem that affects many K1200LT and K1200RS - the symptoms are that when you turn the ignition ON, the blue high-beam indicator in the dash is always ON and there is nothing coming out of the headlight (same result with handlebar switch on High or Low beam position).

See this thread for details and picture on how to solve this:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63455

·
Registered
244 Posts
Quick reply... the Brown wire and clips are actually inside the headlamp assembly.. It is much easier to see the problem if you remove it and have in your hand.. Look closely.. pull the connection and expect to see discolored or burned look.... REPLACE the connection.. don't just clean it !!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
billd said:
Quick reply... the Brown wire and clips are actually inside the headlamp assembly.. It is much easier to see the problem if you remove it and have in your hand.. Look closely.. pull the connection and expect to see discolored or burned look.... REPLACE the connection.. don't just clean it !!
Both connectors were quite dodgy although the lower one was worse. The was also a burnt smell when I removed the cover. In Brazil we have to keep our headlights on all the time, this must cause the issue.

When is a good location to add an extra ground for the headlight?

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
LTs are wired so that the head light is always ON.

An easy place to get to add a ground wire is the ground on the map light.

Another way to find a good ground is to loosen or remove a screw that goes into the main frame. If you use a crimp on connector with an "O" connection for the screw, you can screw everything together and then simply turn the headlight on.

Best from Gorham ME
Bob

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I fixed the earth wire for the High beam today. I must say though that the earth wire is attached in a really poor place. It's not easy to get my fingers in and push on the new terminal. Later on I'll take the bike to an electrician to add an extra earth wire in the most appropriate location. Thanks for the help everyone..

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Theres a small wiring tunnel under the RHS side that you can stick a stiffish wire through to hook up to negative (or at least where it's connected to the frame) and make a new earth point on the frame near the front.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was still dark when I came into work this morning and I'm happy to report there were no tell-tail lights on on the dashboard which shouldn't have been. I also took the bike for the inspection to get the new papers and the inspector told me to swap the blue low-beam bulb for a white one, surprisingly the difference was more than noticable. :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cws said:
Theres a small wiring tunnel under the RHS side that you can stick a stiffish wire through to hook up to negative (or at least where it's connected to the frame) and make a new earth point on the frame near the front.
Chris,
I can't seem to find the tunnel! Can you give me some guidance to where it is?
Thanks, Martin

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Hi Martin.
When looking from front of bike up under the cowling, you'll find a group of wires that go behind the front right fork near the edge of the radiator. You can't see the tunnel itself unless the bike was stripped I guess, but if you push an unbent wire coathanger or stiff wire through on top of the wiring loom, it should come out near the battery. Maybe put some gaffer tape or electrical tape on front of the stiff wire just to protect it from touching anything (like the pos pole when it comes out).

Then tie a wire to it and pulled it back through from rear to front.

·
Registered
912 Posts
And keep in mind that from 2006 on, the K1200LT manual on the headlight is incorrect. The headlight is HID, but the manual has instruction for the previous type of light, and you cannot remove it the way the instructions state.

We all enjoy reading some fiction now and then. But it really should not be in the manuals.

bill

1 - 13 of 13 Posts