BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
neumsky said:
Does anybody else out there have head shake with there LT's ??? Mines an 06 Thanx Jeff
Hi, Jeff - in cold country Oklahoma!!!

Lissen - click on the search button and then click on the 'advanced search' button that shows right below the blank box. Type "shake" in the first box, and below that, click on the drop down list to signify that you want just thread titles searched. There are 'almost' a hundred threads on the subject and prolly two hundred or so posts. I didn't check to see if any of the guyz from around your area had any input on the subject, butt you might ping some of 'em to see. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Howdy, Jeff..
Mine did that.. an '05. That was with Bridgestones. 42 frnt /48 rr. Including cupping of tires.

Dealer put Dunlop on front and that problem almost totally stopped. Rear also acted up by feathering on the edges.

There have been lots of "solutions" attempted... one thing for sure, if I keep my hands on the bars, I don't get the "wobble".

Now I'm on the Metzlers... 880ME's. Made a huge difference in handling.. for the better.

AS for the wobble.. It doesn't do it immediately after changing tires... so, once I get a few miles on it, I'll know more...

Other folks, tho, have had the wobble with the Metz's..

Also, some folks have found replacing the following totally resolved the problem:
1- Shocks
2- Front suspension ball-joint
3- tires

To me, that's a pretty expensive solution to resolve the "wobble" that I don't have unless I release the bars...

I'm sure there are a few bits I've missed and you can follow by searching for "wobble".

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,243 Posts
I have it. My solution has been to keep my hands on the bars :mad: That is to say until I am in need of new tires :D

·
Registered
293 Posts
My information is that this wobble was induced by the change in rake in 2005 to make the bike more agile in twisties.

Tyres, tyre pressure and tyre wear can enhance this.

Reality is that it happens on any speed below 80kmh, depending on tyre, rider weight and rider position but it only happens if both hands go off the handles.

The response from Germany was ... "You have no business letting go of the handle bars at any stage." ... paraphrased of course :)

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Colyn said:
My information is that this wobble was induced by the change in rake in 2005 to make the bike more agile in twisties.

Tyres, tyre pressure and tyre wear can enhance this.

Reality is that it happens on any speed below 80kmh, depending on tyre, rider weight and rider position but it only happens if both hands go off the handles.

The response from Germany was ... "You have no business letting go of the handle bars at any stage." ... paraphrased of course :)
In actuallity the rake was changed for slow speed handling, i.e. parking lots. LTs handle just fine in the twisties without the change in the rake. And even the older LT's had the wobble problem, mine was always cause by worn tires, but not necessarily always a worn front. :eek:

Make sure you don't follow the manufacturer's tire pressure recommendations as they are low. General consensus is 42 front and 48 rear and also recommended by the Bridgestone tire expert we had at CCR this past summer. Me, I run my pressures at 44 and 50 and get excellent wear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts