BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2000 LT with about 17,000 miles on it. It had Avon tires and the head never shook. When I changed over to the Metzler 880s the fun began. Anywhere between 40 and 45 I could not let go of the bars. The wobble was instant and violent. Today I installed another front 880 and the problem is solved. In retrospect I now understand that when I installed the first 880 I stretched one of the beads. I am certain of this now. This brings me to part "B" of this situation. Remember those wood clamps we used in high school shop class? You know, like this one.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_211453-52800-LHS10_4294857578_4294937087_?productId=1059581&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Clamps%2Band%2BVises_4294857578_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr%7C0%7C%7Cp_product_quantity_sold%7C1%26page%3D2

I used two of them at about 70 degrees to hold pressure on the sidewalls (thus holding the beads closer together) while I spooned the new tire onto the wheel. It went from being a really tough job to being a really simple job. Squeezing on the sidewalls at the edge of the tread held the beads closer together and allowed them to slip easily into the wheel contour, avoiding heavy pressure on the spoons. In fact the last foot of bead I just pushed on with my hands. It was that easy.

So if you have head shake, you may have a stretched bead. That's certainly what was causing mine.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,119 Posts
I'll try the clamps on my next tire change. I have always subscribed to the idea that ALL head shake on the LT was caused by tires, out of round or now streched beads or bad balance.

Thanks for posting that tip as I felt I had really pushed the limits with some of the beads.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Veering slightly off topic, but I have heard that type of clamp is great for breaking the bead loose for a tire change as well. Might be worth carrying one on the road?
Ross

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used 10 inch clamps for the front tire and they would just barely work to break the front bead if needed. I think the rear tire would require a 12 inch or larger clamp. I normally use a large "C" clamp for bead breaking.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
jzeiler said:
I'll try the clamps on my next tire change. I have always subscribed to the idea that ALL head shake on the LT was caused by tires, out of round or now streched beads or bad balance.

Thanks for posting that tip as I felt I had really pushed the limits with some of the beads.
+1 Finally someone agrees with me :) And on top of that, someone who's opinion I respect.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking back on it, head shake would be the natural result of a stretched bead. Since the stretched bead would increase the circumference of the tire on that sidewall side the tire would attempt to pull to the right or left. The gyroscopic action of both wheels would then fight back and flex the forks. Push, pull, repeat = wobble.
Anyway that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I'm just thrilled mine doesn't have that problem anymore.:)

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Great tip Dean. The 1st two tires I changed on my tire changer about beat me. This should help. Although I'll probably use some C clamps and some short boards, since I have several of them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wolfgang said:
+1 Finally someone agrees with me :) And on top of that, someone who's opinion I respect.
+2

I conducted my own test with the same conclusion, it was the front ME880. It may have been the mounting that caused it, but it was definitely the front tire. My 2001 had the wobble the entire time that tire was installed, and the tire cupped visibly. The original front ME880 didn't wobble, the second one did, the third one doesn't.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Dean, please follow up in 4-5k miles on the tire, seems that is when the shake starts on a new tire. Your tip has given me reason to buy the tools to do my own tires! Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Last round of head shake I had the rear tire was gone, and I mean ashamed of myself gone, cords showing, the whole schmear. Changed the rear, with balancing beads,and no more shake. First time though it was the set, changed them and it was gone, Metz 880 with 18k on them. Bead stretching, low inflation, balance and wear, they all play a part.

·
Registered
390 Posts
My 1999 Lt with 70k never had any wobble at any speed until the last new front tire, a Metz 880. Now has bad wobble 35-50 mph and slight wobble at any other speed. I took the tire (on the rim) to the local dealer sure I had a bad tire. The tire came from the same dealer. They found a slight bump in the rim and said that was the problem. That seamed odd because there was no wobble with the old tire. I spent near $200 to have the ever so slight bump fixed, remounted the tire and still have the same wobble. I am glad to read this post because it helps me believe I do have a bad tire but my dealers response is for me to buy and install a new tire, then send the old one back and wait for a decision from someone as to weather or not I can be compensated. I can't afford another tire or the down time. I don't have a problem with the dealer it just seams I have been screwed by circumstance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts