BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day when I was riding my 2001 k1200lt my head light went out on me. I was wondering if it is worth the extra cost to buy something like the Silver Star Head Lights. I do a lot of riding at night due to not getting off work until midnight. Or is there anything better to help you see at night, other than the HID Kits? Trying to keep the cost down, and get the max life out of a head light. By the way what is the number of the head lights and where to get them. Thanks...

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,457 Posts
Rob - you just CANNOT beat an HID lamp for running at night!!! And the kit costs are down within easy wallet reach. Upgrade is one the best *bang for my buck* purchases (and mine cost me 500 simoleans back in 2000!!). Just do it, Rob. You'll be forever glad you did (and you'll rarely need the high beam ;-) ).

·
Registered
276 Posts
Dick said:
Rob - you just CANNOT beat an HID lamp for running at night!!! And the kit costs are down within easy wallet reach. Upgrade is one the best *bang for my buck* purchases (and mine cost me 500 simoleans back in 2000!!). Just do it, Rob. You'll be forever glad you did (and you'll rarely need the high beam ;-) ).
Listen to the master! DDM Tuning has the kits for $25!!! right now. If you must go Silver Star, yes you can do that, just don't go with a higher wattage light than you have now or you could have wiring issues later.

·
Registered
49 Posts
VRodPete said:
Listen to the master! DDM Tuning has the kits for $25!!! right now. If you must go Silver Star, yes you can do that, just don't go with a higher wattage light than you have now or you could have wiring issues later.
Ok, I'll bite. What exactly would you order? headlight type and color? That seems super cheap.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Dick said:
Last year Dick stated that he spent $400 for HID. It grows as he gets older.........

You want an H7 for low beam and 4300K will give you the best light output.

dan, duckin and running

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I went with 5000* K because I like the whiter white. There is a downside though. My headlight is significantly whiter than my Hella driving lights, i.e. they don't match. The upside of this might be that because they don't match they are more noticeable.

DO NOT GO BEYOND 5000* K!!!!!! 4300*K might be better.

I have the DDM kit and no complaints. Easy to install and copious quantities of light. Excellent value!

Loren

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
If you ride at night, do the HID mod. It keeps the stock lines of the bike and will greatly improve your night vision.

Most of the other light improvements make YOU more visible, but won't light up the road ahead of you as much as the HID.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I have VVME (?) HID kits all over and just recently swapped one of them for a DDM kit in my GS.

It works well. Like the others wrote, 4300K or 4700K is the right color temperature for OEM white - above it it becomes distinctly bluish.

I had SilverStars in the past and they do nothing. I think that the high beam in my LT is still a SilverStar - it looks positively weak when both the low-beam HID and the halogen high beam are on.

Do not waste your money on the SilverStar bulbs.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I too have VVME kits in my bikes and love them. Actually, had two HID bulbs in my GS, but since I am selling it, took out the high beam bulb and just put it in the LT today. The previous owner had a HID in there, but it was a two part unit with lots of extra wire taking up space. I could not tell what he did to get the thing installed, so I ventured into the bike today and took out the old HID and put in the "new" one, actually a couple years old. The VVME kit has one control box, which is smaller now I understand, and is plug and play. All you have to do is find a place for the control box and the cut a hole in the headlight cover for the wires to pass through. The stock harness then plugs into the HID kit and you are done. This way, if your HID should go out, you can remove the bad HID bulb, unplug the OEM harness and plug in a regular H7 and you are off and running again. The old kit that was on my bike spliced into the harness, had leads to the battery and was just messy. Much better now.

You will like the HID light. If I remember, I got the 35w 4300K light. Helps on the power draw from the bike, and throws ligth waaaay down the road. I will say with all the certainty I can that it saved my back side on Lolo pass in Idaho by letting me see the freaking deer way before stock light would have. Was able to slow 'er down enough to miss momma, but not bambi. Oh well, gotta love the GS, carried right through the little guy with just a slight shimmy and nothing else.

If either of my lights go out, will gladly buy another VVME kit.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I replaced my PIAA low beam with a silver star when it burned out I did not notice a difference between the two. I too used to work shift work and all the light can be great at night. But do not get over confident if you live in deer country.

Keith

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,457 Posts
DanMartin said:
Last year Dick stated that he spent $400 for HID. It grows as he gets older.........

dan, duckin and running
Heck, I can't even remember last year - you kiddin' me!! :rolleyes:

I actually 'think' I paid Stick (Ron Campbell) darn near $500 for this HID that is still runnin' since a hunnert years ago. Add to that, Lone Star got a piece of me, cuz Mike G. did the install. So - it wuz 500 simoleans; one way or tuther!!

·
Registered
530 Posts
+1 on the DDM Tuning versions.....

Here's how I did it a few weeks ago plus input and examples from others who did the same.....

it'll cost you less than $100 and a few hours to do it right.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
DanMartin said:

dan, duckin and running
Howdy, Dan. You know, I think you're on to something. When I was in Bourne last December, every time Dick showed up in his new Toyota truck, he'd start talkin' again about the good deal he got on it. Each time, the deal got better and the truck cheaper. On the last day there, I do believe I recollect the seller was payin' Dick to take the truck.

Duckin' and runnin' in the other direction Karl

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,457 Posts
kmurphy165 said:
Howdy, Dan. You know, I think you're on to something. When I was in Bourne last December, every time Dick showed up in his new Toyota truck, he'd start talkin' again about the good deal he got on it. Each time, the deal got better and the truck cheaper. On the last day there, I do believe I recollect the seller was payin' Dick to take the truck.

Duckin' and runnin' in the other direction Karl
Boy! I sure hope we got Rob on the right track for his headlight question. :eek:

Now to set you guys straight! You need to show more respect to your elders; of which I are one. :p Karl, you know the ONLY reason that truck deal turned out to where's that salesman gave me the keys wrapped in 5 C-notes wuz cuz he didn't wanna have to keep gettin' whupped on by the buyer --- Cheryl!!! I always let her do the shoppin' and the buyin' --- makes for an entertaining afternoon!! :) ;) And less stress on the wallet! :D

And Dan - if I mentioned $400 last year, it wuz cuz that's what it shoulda been if I woulda let Cheryl handle Stick!! :cool:

Now back to Rob's luminescence!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok... I want to thank all of you for the info. Now with the info you all sent me, I have another question. I would say if you are to put in the HID kits, you would put both the High and Low beams in at the same time, Right? I am only asking this because of the DDM Tuning web site has them both. But you have to order them separately and I don't know if I will really need the High Beam if the Low Beam is so Bright. Personally I would put them both in, to save time and not to have to take it apart a second time. What do you think? Thanks Again...

·
Registered
322 Posts
I only did the low beam. HID's take a while to warm up so you can't really "flash" the high beam if you want to. I put a silverstar high beam bulb in. It does give me a bit more range at night.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
By the way there are so many chooses on this subject. I know I need a H3 and a H7. But what are the watts on both of them for the best lighting. If I am right, the H3 is 35w, and the H7 is 55w. Please correct me if I am wrong. And I know, don't get anything over 4500k to 5000k. I get the damage factor and understand that problems can and will happen if you go to high. Thanks Again...

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
rcoolbaugh said:
I would go with both 35W.
And I would go with 55W. 35 W for the low beam throws so much light that you don't need 55W. And 55W would likely blind oncoming drivers.

But........... if you aren't a high beam flasher then the 55W HID should be no problem. Hey! No oncoming traffic to be blinded if you're on high beam so I say go for the gusto.

This being said 35W is probably plenty!

Nuts! (55W)

Loren

1 - 20 of 26 Posts