BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody running a headlight protector? What brand? are they still available? are they necessary ? i have had my lt 6 years, no issue but understand the head light assy is very expensive

·
Registered
313 Posts
Greetings! I have had one on my R and my RT, did their jobs on several pebbles and birds but I am having a time finding one for my 03 LT. Aeroflow quit making the old ones and the only ones I am seeing are some strange Chinese/UK ones for 24 bucks that don't give me warm feelings, lol. Still looking. For a newer one I expect Aeroflow will still have one?

Update: Oh, you are a year worse in trouble than me, lol.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I have one on my bike thanks to the previous owner. I don't pay much attention to it but I guess it does it's job. Do you frequently follow trucks hauling gravel or live a work zone all of the time? If it helps you sleep at night, get it. My sticks on with hook and loop (like velcro) dots that are glued to the front of the bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry about the pic, but a rock or something hit my headlight hard enough to star the plexi-glass. I'm sure it would have broken the headlight if I had not had the shield on it. It was well worth the trouble. The impact is on the bottom edge where the arrow is pointing.

Thought I might add that those hook and loop buttons have a limited number of removals. I bought a bag of them and have had to replace them occasionally.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Bout a hunnert years ago, when ole Toad wuz prone to gallop round South Central Tejas, I purchased a small roll of protective film from Ricochet Products in Canada. Gifted out several sheets of the stuff, with explanation to cut-to-size before removing the adhesive film layer. Just place over the headlamp surface, trace the shape, cut out with an Exacto knife, peel off the film and squeegee out any bubbles. Stuff has been in place since '99 and 150k miles. No yellowing, no delam - not even noticeable. Said to withstand a pellet gun shot. They're now located in GA somewhere, so might wanna check 'em out. Group buy??

Ricochet Protects About Us

Hope this might help.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a 2000 LT with an Aeroflow headlight protector since it's first year. Nothing has hit the headlight protector, except for bugs, in it's 18 years and 85,000 miles. Is it necessary? not really, but for peace of mind or when the headlight assembly gets damaged. Aeroflow website, AeroFlow BMW HeadLight Covers, lists the protector for the '97 - '04 models for $59.95, and for the '05 and on models, 99.95 (double set). I've attached 2 photos of my LT with the Aeroflow headlight protector. The protector is easliy removed for cleaning via the 3 velcro tabs, and has never yellowed or cracked in it's 18 years on the bike, that's about $3.33 per year at today's prices.

Attachments

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have a 2000 LT with an Aeroflow headlight protector since it's first year. Nothing has hit the headlight protector, except for bugs, in it's 18 years and 85,000 miles. Is it necessary? not really, but for peace of mind or when the headlight assembly gets damaged. Aeroflow website, AeroFlow BMW HeadLight Covers, lists the protector for the '97 - '04 models for $59.95, and for the '05 and on models, 99.95 (double set). I've attached 2 photos of my LT with the Aeroflow headlight protector. The protector is easliy removed for cleaning via the 3 velcro tabs, and has never yellowed or cracked in it's 18 years on the bike, that's about $3.33 per year at today's prices.
Son of a biscuit eater! I think I may have just looked at the left side of that page and didn't see the LT listed, thank you for straightening me out. going to get one :), sorry I misled anyone.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I bought one off ebay. It's a knock off. But does the job.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the input,,, was thinking as old as the bike id if the headlight did take a serious rock it would be super $$$$..

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
I hit a bird on my '02 one morning and it broke the headlight mounts, so a protector wouldn't have helped, same to the deer strike on the '05...headlights ain't cheap!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts